Visit Ladakh - The Roof of the World

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by uttarkideepika, May 11, 2009.

1. uttarkideepika

uttarkideepika New IL'ite

Ladakh known as the 'Roof of the World' is the land of insurmountable mountains and fascinating monasteries. [FONT=&quot]Ladakh is bounded by world's two mightiest mountain ranges the great Himalayan and the Karakoram. Leh, the capital of Ladakh is also a fascinating destination. Age-old monasteries, quaint lanes, colorful markets and stunning views of the <st1:place w:st="on">Himalayas</st1:place> make Leh an exotic destination. Leh is where your adventure in Ladakh begins.

[/FONT] Best time to visit leh (Ladakh) - Mid Jun to Mid - October.

You can go trekking through the mountainous terrain of Ladakh, enjoy a game of polo in a high altitude arena or watch an archery contest where local residents compete in a contest that remains unchanged by time. Mountaineering, white water rafting and wildlife tours are other adventurous attractions of Leh Ladakh <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Though the weather can be freezing cold, the smiles on the faces of the Ladakhi people are sure to warm your heart.

Visit Ladakh. Feel on top of the world!

2. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Wow! Ladakh seems so alluring. Please tell us more about the place. How to reach there & What to see in Ladakh and Leh.

Has any of you ILites visited Leh & Ladakh? I'd love to hear about visiting Ladakh from a tourist point of view.
    :wave:

Happy Posting!
    Sonia

3. amandeepkohli

amandeepkohli New IL'ite

Flash floods hit Leh in Ladakh

I visited Leh 2 months back and I'm really sad to see the news today that at least 100 people have been killed and many more are missing after flash floods hit Leh in Ladakh. :-(

I'm really sad today as I can't believe the beautiful picturesque Leh will be in ramshackles, not to forget the miseries of the lovely people.....

Can somebody tell what is cloudbursts?

4. pamellasingh

pamellasingh New IL'ite

You are right Amandeep, the Leh flash floods were perhaps one of the worst natural disasters in recent times - although I believe, no disaster is by far any less for the ones who suffer.

Incidents of cloudbursts is very rarely heard here although it happens, in small scale and many even go unreported. The severity of the Leh flash flood has however, brought cloudburst int the 'spotlight'

Cloudburst is a localised weather phenomena representing highly concentrated rainfall over a small area lasting for few hours. This leads to flash floods/ landslides, house collapse, dislocation of traffic and human casualties on large scale.

It is mostly seen that hilly areas are prone to cloudbursts because the topographical conditions like steep hills favour the formation of these clouds. And also the devastations, as water flowing down the steep slopes bring debris, boulders and uprooted trees with great velocity damaging any structure that comes in their way.

Hope this helps.

Have any of you actually experienced flashfloods or cloudburst? We'd love to hear from you.

Regards,

Pamella

5. chandnijain04

chandnijain04 New IL'ite

Re: Flash floods hit Leh in Ladakh

That was really one of the worst disasters to happen in recent times in India. So many people have become homeless, so many have seen their loved ones being washed away by the mudslides and with hundreds of people missing, many are too unfortunate to even know if their dear ones are living or dead.

Nature has not even spared the abode of learning in Ladakh - the Druk White Lotus School at Shey, which has become famous as 'Rancho's School' after the Aamir Khan Blockbuster was shot there for the climax scenes.

I heard that ever since 3 Idiots captured the fancy of India and became a box-office phenomenon, this school on the Leh-Manali Highway has become an unexpected tourist attraction for having featured in the film. Every day, a handful of tourists arrive at the Druk White Lotus School at Shey to glimpse Phunsuk Wangdoo's (a.k.a Rancho's) idea of education. Amazing, how reel life takes over real life....

Does anybody know about this school in reality?

Attached Files:

6. SanjanaBatra87

SanjanaBatra87 New IL'ite

Indeed Chandni, the Leh disaster is one of the worst natural disasters of recent times. News comes and goes, and our media sets off to find another 'breaking story'. However, the destruction this flashfloods have caused to life and property will live instilled in the minds and hearts of the Leh-Ladakh people for years to come.

The children at the Druk White Lotus School were ecstatic when their idol Aamir Khan or 'Rancho' of '3 idiots' fame visited them in real life situation appealing to the countrymen to contribute in rebuilding Leh and the school so dear to his heart.

7. uttarkideepika

uttarkideepika New IL'ite

Great information gals. Loved reading it and at the same time extend my solidarity with the beautiful people of Leh.

I'd love to add a small detail on the now famous 'Rancho's School' but always the pride of Ladakh - The Druk White Lotus school in Shey. This school is one of the many clinics, schools and dispensaries, His Holiness the 12th Gyalwang Drukpa, the spiritual leader and head of the Drukpa lineage has facilitated setting up for the underprivileged.

Do you know, this school was awarded three international prizes by “World Architecture” in 2002:

– Best Building in Asia
    – Best Educational Building in the World
    – Best Green Building in the World

Attached Files:

8. mau24

mau24 Senior IL'ite

thanks 2 all 4 sharing these informations