1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Menstruation.Is it a curse or a matter for rejoicement,my dear?-My Diary-5

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Aug 22, 2010.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear mst,
    Many mothers fail to prepare their daughters to handle the impending puberty.I too suffered.

It is the mother's duty to tell the daughter what it is,how the daughter should potect herself and how thereis nothing to be afraid of.

If I had a girl, I think she would follow her mom.. but for my future DIL, I am pretty open - it is her choice entirely. [​IMG]
    But my dear ,why shouldn't you give the same choice to your daughter as well?
    Happy to know that your DH is taking very good care of you,young men seem to be very kind and attentive these days,give him my love and appreciation.
    God bless you
    love
    mithila

2. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

You are so right, Aunty! :thumbsup
    Hmm.. You got me thinking, Aunty..
    Probably because I am not yet convinced to do it myself?!
    I don't know, Aunty.. :) I am so prepared to NOT to expect DIL to adapt to my ways/beliefs... may be I think, it is going to be me who will bring up my DD.. so she will follow my ways..But u got a point! :thumbsup
    Thanks AUnty! Sure I shall tell him. :)

3. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

You are so right, Aunty! :thumbsup
    Hmm.. You got me thinking, Aunty..
    Probably because I am not yet convinced to do it myself?!
    I don't know, Aunty.. :) I am so prepared to NOT to expect DIL to adapt to my ways/beliefs... may be I think, it is going to be me who will bring up my DD.. so she will follow my ways..But u got a point! :thumbsup
    Thanks Aunty! Sure I shall tell him. :)

4. mithila kannan

My dear sudha,
    In my growing up yeas I really suffered due to these estrictions.Imagine having to ask for a glass of water to drink since you cant enter the kitchen yourself.Imagine Diwali celebrations are taking place but you have o sit in a room by yourself,eat by yourself,because you have period.So I was keen that my daughjters should not suffer that way.
    From the day they attained puberty till date I have not imposed any restrictions on them.My elder daughter has struck a balance since her MIL's house they observe this restriction business,she keeps the puja room closed,my SIL does the puja.
    My younger one's MIL was more modern than her DIL so no restrictions for her.

love
    mithila

5. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

Dear Mithila,

I accept that complete isolation is a punishment, however I feel its very important for the woman to get ample rest during periods. I go through literal hell on my second day and I just wish to leave everything as such and lie down in some corner of the house without being disturbed. Managing office and home would have become very tough if not for my helpful husband.

As for the medicines, its always better to avoid as they interfere with the natural balance of human body and yes mothers play a very important role. My mother is total against of using these hormone tablets or even pain killers and I have inherited the same views from her.

I had a very bad experience with pain killers. Once the pain was so much that it crossed my tolerance limits and I started taking nice tablets. We were on TTC then and every 15 or 16 day after periods I used to bleed, though I never understood why. One month, I realized I am getting addicted to pain killers and decided not to take it whatever it is....and that month there was no bleeding and can you believe I conceived. I dont know if it was psychological, but never could come up with a valid explanation for the bleeding during ovulation.

Sirisha

6. Hemakamya

Hemakamya New IL'ite

hi
    kudos to the new age moms and MILs! may the tribe growby leaps and bounds!
    though these religious practices pertain to the olden days, where they were put in place to give women the much needed rest, in todays fastpaced life, these practices are only a bane....beautiful thoughts by all here...

Change takes time but is certainly happening. as is reflected in our thoughts. One thing for sure, i will never allow anything like this with my Daughters(own and in-law).

regards
    hema

7. mithila kannan

My dear sirisha,

I accept that complete isolation is a punishment, however I feel its very important for the woman to get ample rest during periods. I

I understand and appreciate your need to just relax and be by yourself during those days.But if someone wee to tell you,wash all the utensild and keep,we will pour water over them and take them inside,how will you feel?

A woman should not be compelled to stay isolated,she should not be treated as a paid labourer,she should do as she pleases in these matters.

Yes,taking harmone tablets has very bad side effects.Good that you avoided them and in avoiding painkillers,your side effect seemed to be that you conceived.How wonderful.!
    love
    mithla

8. mithila kannan

My dear hema,

Thanks for the fine fb,my dear.

Change takes time but is certainly happening. as is reflected in our thoughts. One thing for sure, i will never allow anything like this with my Daughters(own and in-law).

Thats what is important.
    love
    mthila

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. Aphrodite

Aphrodite New IL'ite

Hello,

Your post really got me thinking...seriously we are living in the 21st century and people are still so superstitious!!!

In my family a woman is not allowed to do any puja during her periods. She can do everything else except doing the puja and that bugs me... why can't I???

I remember all those years when Durga Puja collided with my dates and I was strictly ordered to stay away from the "Anjali"... same for Saraswati Puja, Lakshmi Puja, etc etc.... even during Bhatri Dwitiya... it literally makes me hate the fact that I'm a girl... men don't have such restrictions...only we girls have to face it.

I only wish my mother could be a little bit more sensible in this matter and let me be a part of these pujas instead of keeping me out...but to convince her is next to impossible. The superstition is so much ingrained in her that I know I can never change her mindset...!
    And so I'll have to live in constant anxiety and pray that my dates don't collide...:cry:

10. iamsudha

iamsudha Senior IL'ite

HI Mithila,

You intrigue me esp. about the pooja issues.

Even if the MIL allows and all that, it's really between one and one's God in the end even if one completely ignores the priests and traditions. If one is convinced in one's heart and/or if one is raised not to carry this idea in their heart, may be one can do it.

Thanks for you speaking on this issue.