Personal Branding...

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Monsi, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Monsi

Monsi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I have seen and read at many places where women say that they are always judged lesser than their male peers. They are less-paid or their hard work goes unrecognized. But have we ever thought or tried to look back why it happens? I know that in-justice happens sometimes but there are many other reasons where we do not venture at all ! The most important reason that you go un-noticed and un-recognized is that you fail to present yourself and your work to the world. When you are talking to a stranger, your introduction should have those things which people can relate to you with later on. For example there are thounsands of s/w engineers in the world but what special did you achieve, you should be able to convey it in a simple and impressive way in those just couple minutes of introduction. Dont blabber too many details else people will soon forget you. Not only starngers, this applies when you talk to your boss or super-boss or your collegue. This is called Personal Branding. Below all lines are not mine but they exactly represent what I want to say. I have taken few of them from sites that talk about this very important and often ignored topic.
    Hmmm.. so ... You’re a superhero and you know it. The thing is, sometimes other people are busy doing other things and don’t immediately notice it. This is fine if they’re not in need of your super powers, but what happens when someone has need of the exact thing you do or represent, but they don’t know enough about you? Build your personal brand, and represent yourself such that the people who need your special talents will know better about what you represent. Few basic tips are :-
    • Use business cards , not have to be very fancy ones but simple ones which describe you in a simple but in an affirmative way
    • If you write blogs, very good !
    • Attend conferences and networking events of your interests and area of work/expertise
    • While telling about yourself to others, your speech should be crisp and to the point.
    In the end, the trick of branding yourself is simply being sure that others understand who you are, what you can do for and with them, and how to reach you should they need that service. Taking a little bit of effort in the representation of all that goes a long way towards developing yourself for future opportunities.
    Read this very nice pdf that elaborates on this topic...
    www.lifebeyondcode.com/ebooks/PBTP.pdf

Please share all your thoughts about it....

1 person likes this.

2. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

great post:2thumbsup:

3. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Good post.

Madhu

4. Monsi

Monsi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Huma, Thanks Madhu :)

5 people like this.
  5. silentcobra

silentcobra New IL'ite

Gud thought. One should present himself with above ideas specialy at newly joined company becuse there your impresion is mostly with Hr people. Secndly dnt exegrate urself to do this activity that will make impresion. Bt aceptance leavel being collegue may vary.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

Dear Monsi,
    Its a wonderful post. I dont know how did i miss this one? Thanks for sharing.

Sravanthi

7. heman

heman New IL'ite

Monsi,

Nice post. Useful info for the women in IT especially.

Thanks
    Hema