1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In-Laws behaving very rude 4 weeks before wedding

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Ramo, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Ramo

Ramo New IL'ite

Dear ILites,

i need your help, don´t know anymore how to handle this situation.

Am getting married in abt 4 weeks. Me and fiance are together now for more than 3 years. In this time we had many ups and downs. 90% of our arguements were because of his dad who feels the need to intefere in everything and is very dominating. Because of him me and fiance had at the beginning of this year a very big arguement and I was about to cancel this whole relationship. But my fiance didn´t want to give up this relationship and told me that he will talk to his father.
    Well after that conversation with his dad the relationship between my future in-laws and me is very cold. They think I am trying to put their son against them and trying to take him away from them - but that is all not my intention. All I want is to be able to take some decisions with my fiance alone without interference of my in-laws/FIL.
    Anyways two months after that convo my bday came up, nobody (except my fiance) wished me from his family, not even his sister (25y) , who I used to have a good relationship with. I think her parents told her not to talk to me anymore. Oh well... then we started wedding plans, and as you know in 4 weeks wedding is taking place. In past few months, I have tried to contact his family from my side, ie on mother´s day, his father´s bday, wrote an e-mail to his sister...but no one replied anything back.
    I talked to my fiance about it and he keeps telling me that I should keep trying and putting the effort from my side to contact them.
    Well I dont feel welcome in his family at all. Also my parents left them a few voicemails for things to talk about the wedding. But they never called back.
    I dont know how to handle this mental stress - i mean of course the most important thing is that my fiance loves me and that he talked to his dad to save our relationship, but of course he is also very close to his family. And they don´t like me - his parents are very dominating and wanted me to live and act as they wish.
    My fear is now, I dont know how to behave and handle this situation once I am married into his family. I mean In-laws are behaving very rude, sil not talking to me. I dont know if I can put more effort from my side even after wedding if my fiance will ask me to do.

What do you ladies suggest me? thanks

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010

2. sita2223

sita2223 Bronze IL'ite

Ramo,

Stick to your principes, maintain your dignity, individuality and character. Don't let other people alter your behavior. By this I mean, if they act rude with you, that should not change your behavior towards them. You behave with respect towards them, and if they still are rude, its their problem, not yours. Since your fiance supports you, try to keep up that bond, because that is the only thought that will give you strength to stay polite to rude people.

ILs rarely like DIL, so don't worry. Even in many arranged marriages, where ILs are all happy with DIL before marriage, suddenly decide to change their attitude. So there is nothing you can do. Just do your best in maintaining good relationship with them and leave the rest. Support your fiance and let him know how much his support means to you. Even after marriage, if you and your DH have a strong bond, ILs rude behavior can't hurt you. Good luck with your wedding. :thumbsup

3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

It is what it is. They don't like you. Maybe someday they will, so I guess you can hold on to that hope, but for the time being, just accept the fact that you are not liked.

You are getting married to your fiance, not his family. He is really the only one who owes you any type of support or loyalty. If they want to be rude, that's their choice. As long as he is willing to stand up for you and think independently from what his parents say, life should be fine. I know it's an Indian saying that you don't just marry the guy, you marry his whole family, but the reality is, no.... you really do just marry the guy. Who do you walk around the fire with? Him. Who ties the mangalsutra? Him. Who do you make vows to? Him. Whose name appears besides yours on the marriage certificate? His. So yes, you're getting a mil and fil, but you aren't getting married to THEM. While they will always be a PART of your life after marriage, they are not the main part.

You need to have a frank talk with your fiance to make sure he has the stamina to support you through whatever lies ahead. Tell him you will always try to be polite and gracious, but the emails and phone calls won't be continueing forever if you keep getting ignored.

As for the wedding, you need to ask him what his vision is for the big day. If he says he wants this and that and a chocolate fountain and a swan ice sculpture and a violin quartet.... ask him how all that is going to be possible if his family is refusing to coordinate with yours. Say that unless you all can come together to plan it smoothly, maybe simple registered marriage would be better. Tell clearly your parents can't do all the planning themselves. Then listen to what he has to say.

4. roses_bloom

roses_bloom Junior IL'ite

Things are not looking good. If you think it's bad now; it's only going to get worse after you are married. Where does your fiance stand in all this??

If his only advice/comment on this situation to you is - "keep trying harder and they will come around" that is really problematic because he is putting the entire burden on you to repair this irreparable situation.

If he isnt doing anything about it now, he definitely wont do anything about it later. Actions speak louder than words my dear, and if his actions do not include suporting you and trying to make his parents also express a welcome to you, things are not looking good.

You know what you are getting yourself into - really think about it before you take those rounds around the sacred fire.

5. Ramo

Ramo New IL'ite

Dear Sita and ASG thank you for your replies and advices.
    Wel, I know you ladies are right by saying that as long as my fiance is supportive that´s all that matters. I am thinking the same way that´s why I am going to marry him although I know his parents are very dominating and possessive.
    My fear is that with time my fiance´s behaviour towards me could change, because his parents will always keep telling him that i am trying to take him away from them (as he is the only son, they are very possessive about him)

there are so many thoughts in my mind (unfortunately most of them are negative, as I am afraid how in-laws will treat me after wedding) and fears that i am afraid of that fact that they could also manipulate my fiance later and tell him bad things about me, since i didn´t and never will tolerate if they should interfere too much in my life and our relationship. aaaaaaahhhhhh, i know i should be havingmore happy thoughts that i am getting married soon, but their behaviour is keeping my mind busy :(

6. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Your fiance could change for the worse, or could change for the better. There's really no way to tell. It's a decision you have to make whether to move forward or not. Since you love him, I think you should marry him. But just mentally prepare yourself for issues ahead, and vow to work on the issues together. If you're feeling anxious, try to get some reassurance from your fiance. It'll probably calm you down a little.

7. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

my dad always says "when in doubt say NO" - - you are highly doubting if your marriage will work.. If I was you, I would cancel the wedding..

In the end its your decision.. good luck

8. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Ramo,
    It's clearly visible, they dont like you at this point!!! May be you both can hold the wedding for sometime and sortout the issues.
    Normally this kind of ego issues crop up in marriages and more in love marriages. But negative signs are more in your issue. You talk to your fiancee and arrange for a meeting and sortout the things.

You can directly go their home and try to see if they are in welcoming mood or not. Let them know about your intension and definitely you are looking out for a decent relationship with them.

9. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I remember reading a very point to point similar thread by one more ILite here. Problems arisin with inlaws just few days before the wedding.

Point here is yes your fiance took a step forward but did that help? NO rather it made the situation worse. So what does that show, that he has no control what so ever on his parents or should I say that they dont care what he wants, rather they care what they want and your fiance thinks his parents are right.

I am not saying he is bad, but yes he is supposed to let his parents know how they have to treat you, if he doesnt lay down teh ground rules now and hopes and expects you to make things work out, how will the things work out?? you are a new person in their family, and if you start your relationship with them on a wrong note, how would you make it right without having some set ground rules from the begining itself?

If he doesnt think his parents also have to make some changes in the way they behave/talk, high time you have to tell him about it. What he spoke to his father we dont know. did he tell you what he told his father? what if he had said, after marriage we can change the girl the way we want to, she would adjust as per what you need, fornow pls let it go, let the marriage happen etc..etc...so do you call this as talking or just sweeping things under the carpet?

Please delay the wedding for a while. If they are so angry and adamant that they didnt even return back your parents call, its worth waiting and fixing issues even before you move forward with marriage.

Meaning of love is we should know how our spouse would feel and ensuring we dont hurt our spouse. If it is one sided and the other expects more, things would lead to bitterness. so just delay it for a while and see how things flow.

10. Ramo

Ramo New IL'ite

Sorry it took me a few days to reply, but I followed Asg´s suggestion to have a brief a talk with my fiance again and tell him again how I feel about this whole situation. He from his side told me the same like in the past, that he loves and doesn´t want me to worry to much, since he did already set boundaries to his parents and if necessary he´ll also talk to them in future if they might interfere again in everything as they used to do.

SriVidya, you asked if I really know what he had said to his parents/father that time since I wasn´t there. Well, these sentences like -I want to take him away from his family etc... were said by his dad after my fiance talked to him then and told him that his constant interference and dominating behaviour is causing many problems between us .
    Of course, it could also be possible that he might have said, lets wait for the wedding to be done and then we can change her the way we want...but would he do a favour to himself by behaving like this? I mean if the problem is the same like before wedding and we argued so much about his father´s behaviours now then obviously it would be same after wedding.
    Which men would put himself in that sandwich-position where he has to hear all the time from his wife how his parents are treating her, and from them that she is not doing things the way we want... right?

He is a good person, but I think being the only son of the family he feels responsible for his parents. His parents know that and do take advantage of exactly this situation.
    I took the decision that afer wedding I will still be nice and respectful to them, as I was always, but I will from my side not try to win their hearts by making them happy with things/decisions I dont feel comfortable with. Either with time for the happiness of their son hopefully they´ll become nicer or just act like that towards me or they won´t.
    I know it´s easier said than done, but to be honest, I know I will be more sad, if I give up the man I love so much, because his parents are such **** people. And I thought about this a lot....
    But still it´s sad to see that some people are so stubborn that they don´t even care for their own children´s happiness but only just for what they want...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010