1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

6 Ways to Stop whining

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by prathi, Aug 17, 2005.

1. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

In this forum there are many mothers who would be constantly experiencing the excruciating whining of their kids when they want something. I came across this article and felt it would be helpful, if not, atleast boost our confiidence in stopping the habit of whining in our kids.

Many parents have theorized that there's a recessive gene that seems to be present in about 99 percent of young children: the whining gene.

If only DNA or some other scientific phenomenon could account for why so many of our kids resort to whining when they want something. And coming up with an effective coping strategy to pull the plug on whining can greatly improve your relationship with your child. On the other hand, coming up with the wrong one will only encourage more whining.

According to a recent survey of almost 1,650 parents conducted by Parent Soup, the best way to stop whining is to calmly explain to your kids why it's not appropriate. More than 40 percent of respondents said children are most likely to obey if you are calm, but firm, with your explanation. Almost 30 percent of those quizzed said they simply ignore the whining and that their kids stop once they realize they aren't eliciting a reaction. About 22 percent said their kids stop whining when they pretend not to understand what the child is saying

Experts say parents must exercise caution when their children resort to whining. If you mock or ignore them, this might enrage them. It's important to know WHY they are whining. If they feel it's the only way to get your attention, it's time to take stock of how much attention you're giving your children. On the other hand, providing positive reinforcement by "caving" to their requests will only encourage them to whine more.

Here's a selection of some of the best advice offered by members of the Parent Soup communities:

1. "I try to ignore whining, then I try to explain why (my son) shouldn't whine, then I cajole, threaten, and finally ... I WHINE!!!"

2. "My best advice: Let your 'no' mean no and your 'yes' mean yes. Giving in to whining just perpetuates the habit."

3. "If my children whine, I make it clear that I did not understand what they have said (even if I have). They (soon) realize that they must speak in an acceptable way, i.e. moderate tone, (proper) enunciation. ... When they speak in an appropriate way, they are acknowledged and addressed. When they whine, they are misunderstood and unanswered."

4. "By whining, our children learn that we will then pay attention to them. ... It's not their tone of voice that we should be reinforcing. We really can avoid the problem with better listening skills and (hopefully they will no longer feel the need to indulge the) nasty whining habit."
    5. "My house is full of kids with a sense of humor. ... If they whine, I whine right back. "But, Mooooom...," they drag on. "But, daaarlings...," I yodel. Usually they are sick of me first. Victory!"

6. "Did you notice the 'What's the best way to stop your child from whining?' poll did not allow for any answer involving actually trying to find why the child is whining? Is it because the poller/s assumed a child is doing it only to annoy us grown-ups?"

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005

2. akila

akila New IL'ite

Handling whining wife!

Hi Prathi,

Those advices offered to stop kids from whining were fun to read!

BTW, I was telling my husband about this article you posted. He immediately said find out if there is any advices for handling whining wife :x

He always complains that I'm a very whining person, if I don't get his attention.

3. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Akhila,

I think to find out 6 ways to stop a whining wife, our husbands have to create a forum like ours and share among themselves some intersting ideas IF ANY!!![​IMG]

But thats their problem right! so lets only concentrate on our whining kids[​IMG]