Destination Nalanda

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by ashwiniyadav01, Mar 27, 2009.

1. sethihardeep

sethihardeep New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the picture of Nalanda. And it is a matter of pride that finally Nalanda has got its due by being connoted as one of the Seven Wonders of India. I hope the government is doing its bit to revive the culture and heritage of Nalanda in the days to come. What are the other places we can visit along with Nalanda?

Thanks in advance.

2. RanjaniPandey

RanjaniPandey New IL'ite

Greetings to all my friends who keep a keen interest on the happenings at Nalanda!

August 12, 2010 has brought reasons to cheer for all of you. A bill for re-establishing the ancient Nalanda university was introduced in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.

The Nalanda University Bill, 2010, will establish a central university in Nalanda district of Bihar, identifying with the ancient university, which was founded in 5th century AD and became a centre of learning for students from all across South Asia.

The bill seeks to develop the university as a seat of learning to attract students from all across South Asia.

"The university will impart education and enable research towards capacity building in the domain of ancient science which was practised in Nalanda several centuries ago," External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said introducing the Bill.

Isn't that inspiring? Share your comments.

3. SimranUnplugged

SimranUnplugged New IL'ite

Well, that's indeed an inspiring piece of news Ranjani. Thanks for sharing! :)

I've heard that some Buddhist organisations are considering rebuilding the ancient Heritage building of Nalanda University. Can anybody throw some light on this?

@Sharing with you all this photograph my friend got for me. Indeed, its my dream to visit Nalanda one day....

Thanks,

Simran

Attached Files:

4. poonamsinha

poonamsinha New IL'ite

Lovely photograph Simran. Yes you are absolutely right; Buddhist organizations in Singapore have committed to give almost $4 million to rebuild the famous library in Nalanda University.

However, the UPA government is yet to pass legislation in Parliament that will give life to this project. Along with Buddhist studies and religion and divinity, the university plans to offer studies in humanities and contemporary sciences like information technology and environment.

Should the government of India allow funding from these Buddist organisations? What may be the pros and cons? Share your views.