English Matters

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Ansuya, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi veenat and morni, welcome to EM. We do appreciate your feedback and while we wait for Ansuya to come back and respond to you, I do agree with Gauri, this thread is not intended just for advanced speakers. As Ansuya has mentioned in her first post in this thread, the intention is to help every one learn. Veena you are already doing a great job by going through all the threads, believe me I couldn't have it done it!! So you are already part of the thread and now all you have to do is post your queries without hesitation!! We have been learning both the ways in the thread, first by reading other responses and second by asking questions ourselves and in the process learning to express! Look forward to seeing more of both your participation.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Veena, Momi. Do join us here. There is something for everyone in this thread, not just the "teachers". Actually I dont think anyone other than Ansuya actually teaches. I do, if you count my three year old son as a student :). And trust me, I have had to learn a lot more before I can start teaching my son.
    I do believe, like Srama here, that there are two ways to learn. One is to ask questions and ask for help for something specific. The other is to read as much as we can. The links we share here basically help us understand the language better or enjoy the niceties of the language. I am sure you will find them as enjoyable as I did.

3. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

I am glad to see this thread finally moving again after a long pause mode. And Tikka...oh god! what a hilarious article that was. I still can't stop laughing reading it. Here is a tongue twister that I have been attempting to read through without laughing ....

Ned Nott was shot and Sam Shott was not.
    So it is better to be Shott than Nott.
    Some say Nott was not shot.
    But Shott says he shot Nott.
    Either the shot Shott shot at Nott was not shot,
    Or Nott was shot.
    If the shot Shott shot shot Nott, Nott was shot.
    But if the shot Shott shot shot Shott,
    Then Shott was shot, not Nott.
    However, the shot Shott shot shot not Shott, but Nott

Have a good day friends!

1 person likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

k2s, after trying hard, I can assure you that my tongue is twisted for ever :)

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

k2s, I am not kidding about having to read the tongue twister a few times before I understood :)

6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hello!

Since this came up as I was posting a reply to a post, I decided to bring it up here too. When we set the alarm clock at home or set the home security monitoring alarm before we leave the house, why does the alarm GO OFF and not GO ON??

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

K2S, I am really not very good at the explanation part, but I am going to try. I think it has something to do with the use of transitive and intransitive verbs. 'Off' I believe is intransitive and means the following.
    Definition:
    1. detonate: to explode or be fired
    2. begin sounding: to start to ring, sound, or vibrate
    [​IMG][​IMG]The smoke alarm goes off whenever we make toast.
    3. be carried out: to be carried out or conducted in a particular manner
    [​IMG][​IMG]I think the conference went off as well as could be expected.
    4. depart: to set out in a particular manner or for a particular place or purpose
    [​IMG][​IMG]We decided to go off early.
    [​IMG][​IMG]endless TV images of soldiers going off to war

Since intransitive verbs have no direct object, and cannot be put into the passive, their usage is simple: they are by definition inseparable.
    However adverbs can occasionally come between the verb and the particle if the adverb serves to describe the action.

In intransitive phrasal verbs, the particle is either narrows the sense of the verb (as in sit down), or else creates an idiomatic meaning which is different from that of the root verb (as in shut up).

Here are a few examples of intransitive phrasal verbs:

Flight 201 to New York will take off at 12.33.
    A lot of the guests showed up late
    Bird flu first broke out in China in 1996
    Tomorrow morning, we all have to get up at 5.30.
    Once the President had taken his place, the guests all sat quietly down. The bomb went off just as the bus was passing

courtesy: Verbs and prepositions in English: Essential English grammar

Well, thanks to you I read up a little. Anybody else with easier or another explanation?

8. marytharaken

marytharaken New IL'ite

Hi,

Can anybody explain to me what the below mentioned actually means:

"Administering the operation of focus groups and alleviating workshops"

Regards

Mary

9. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Srama - Ansuya rubs on you too! Thank you for that and apologies for coming in late here. The first half of the explanation has been easy to understand.

Hello Mary - This is what I think it means.......

Focus group is a special group of people who are asked about their personal views on a particular product or idea. From my understanding, the information gathered from such a group helps the product launcher in familiarizing with current market trends, the mood of end users, possible life span of the product, how useful or useless that product might be, strength and weakness of the product, so on. I don't think this is specific to market research only. Even some organisations have such groups.

So now coming back to your statement :). ADMINISTERING THE OPERATION OF FOCUS GROUPS would mean organising focus groups for a purpose you have in hand and facilitating the functioning of those groups by communicating and coordinating and consulting with the group members. It is important that the right mix of people are in a focus group. Workshop is a place where the members gather to voice their views. It needs to be a more relaxed atmosphere rathar than a formal and cold one. Members are not to be forced to be present at the session because that could affect the data received from the discussion and observation. So ALLEVIATING WORKSHOPS would mean to organise a "pain-free" workshop that feels less pressured on the group and more productive for the organisers.

Sorry for such a lengthy explanation. I didn't know how else to explain it. Take for example the statement ADMINISTERING AN INJECTION. For this, we first need to have everything in hand. A knowledge of what is being injected, why, how does it work on the body (to the extent of who is looking for the information), side effects, precautionary measures to be kept ready, how to handle the medicine, how to handle the syringe, how to handle self mentally and physically, availability of all items and so on. There are so many pointers to be kept in mind for a simple action of injecting something into you. The goal is to make the experience of injecting less painful as possible. OK OK, I have gone overboard isn't it?? Will stop it :).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thankyou K2S..but believe me while I consider myself good at expressing, this was no cake walk! Hey you did a fabulous explanation your self in the previous post.

Well, while digging up some facts for DS, I came across these language facts and thought of sharing here -

There are more than 2,700 languages in the world. In addition, there are more than 7,000 dialects. A dialect is a regional variety of a language that has a different pronunciation, vocabulary, or meaning.

The most difficult language to learn is Basque, which is spoken in northwestern Spain and southwestern France. It is not related to any other language in the world. It has an extremely complicated word structure and vocabulary.

All pilots on international flights identify themselves in English.

Somalia is the only African country in which the entire population speaks the same language, Somali.

The language in which a government conducts business is the official language of that country.

More than 1,000 different languages are spoken on the continent of Africa.

Many languages in Africa include a “click” sound that is pronounced at the same time as other sounds. You must learn these languages in childhood to do it properly

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010