1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mothers Of 2-3 Year Olds

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by uthra, Jul 2, 2007.

1. uthra

uthra Junior IL'ite

dear janai,

your words of encouragement for the kids first days at school was of very great help.i cannot thank you enough. my kid is now attending school after some initial hiccups .he enjoys it now.

here in singapore i find that most of the kids his age are so adept at handling spoons and self feed themselves. back in India I had seen moms going behind kids with the plate of food and feeding them.... It would be of help if parents of toodlers could guide and share their experiences on their kids self feeding

thankyou

2. geethasriman

geethasriman New IL'ite

Hi to all moms of wonderful babies,

I had a daugther of 2 year 2 months old n she now started to join words to speak.She loves to listen music and watch songs.she loves books a lot n i bring a lot of books for from near by library.She recognises alphbets A-Z,tells days,months,numbers upto 20 ,all fruits names n few action rhymes.Now a days she started to undress n dress herself ofcourse not perfectly.
    she loves to eat whole boiled .Is that fine to give her daily at this age?she loves to eat fruit yougurts a lot.

I hadn't put her in day care as it is very costly in U.K.Will this lags her back in school?As In U.K the winter is going to start i am afraid i can't even take her out b'coz of bad weather n what all i can do to get rid of her boredum.please suggest me.she will have a nap of 2 hours in afternoon n she goes to bed at 11.30 in night any tips to make her go to bed earlier?one more question is me n my husband speaks in telugu at home n my daugther is learning telugu but when we go out to park,library local children tries speak to her in english but she can't understand n she it appears to me that she sees sadly at them.one of my friend says i have to put her in day school otherwise she can't communicte with children when she goes to school any suggestions n tips

soory that i shooted many questions .I don't have many indian friends here as we live in a town here where indians families are very few.so plz help me

thanx in advance

3. yenetishashi

yenetishashi Senior IL'ite

hi friends :) ,
    i am a mother of 3years old kid .she is good in playing with other kids,just started intrested in watching cartoons,kids movies and learning through keyboard ,holding and operating mouse and paints with it.
    by the time we thought of joining her in international english school (previously she went to finnish day care) admissions were closed:-( .
    so after a lot of requests she is getting admission in evening session ie from 1pm to 5pm from october1st .here my problem starts....my kid has a habbit of afternoon nap between 2or3pm to 5pm ,so can u guys pls help me out as to how to change her daily habis of sleeping, eating time play time:icon_frown: and get ready to go to school and enjoy all day with out tiresome
    thank u
    bye,
    shashi.

4. yenetishashi

yenetishashi Senior IL'ite

hi geeta,
    it is good that ur kid has learned many things.i stay in finland ,i sent my daughter to fiinnish play school as it was nearby to my house and within a month i found wonderful change in my kid, i never had potty problem anytime. they get many toys to play and same age group kids to see ,observe and learn many things .
    regarding language u try to speak with her in english if possible and u start with small words and slowly u can lengthen to a sentence.
    even my mother tongue is telugu,my kid is 3years now.she can understand but cannot speak cleary in english
    better start slowly and try not to confuse her in saying a word in english once and then in telugu next time
    better luck.
    bye,
    shashi

5. geethasriman

geethasriman New IL'ite

hi shashi,

thanx for ur reply.

u can make her wake up early in the morning which makes her to go for nap early mid morning.u had to start this routine atleast one week before u send her to school n had to follow it strictly even in weekends.
    Better u give her lunch atleast half an hour before going to school n pefer not to give heavy lunch instead make it a complete energitic meal with some fruit,vegetables,yougurt .If school provides snacks then no need to worry.

bye

sangeetha

6. uthra

uthra Junior IL'ite

dear geetha,

regarding your kid sleeping late at night-----try following two rules,

1.follow the same time to put your child to sleep--say 10 pm/9 pm.
    2.try making the bedroom environ darker with no bright lights.

since you have access to a good library ,get ure kid to bed read some book( story or rhyme ) in a very low voice for about 15 minutes-----that will settle the kid into bed .then with no bright lights,lie down with her and slowly with time she will get to sleep.initially you may have to be with her for more than 3o minutes ,but gradually when there is consistancy the child will learn the routine.

it indeed requires a lot of patience .

good luck

7. Honeytha

Honeytha Senior IL'ite

Hai to all moms!!!!

I am Anitha and i am new ILite and i would like to join in this Thread.....i have a 23 months old boy baby. He is going to play school near my house. He is going for the past 2 months. After he started going to the play school i can c many changes in him.

He identifies and tells mostly all varieties of Fruits, vegetables, vehicles, reptiles, insects, flowers, flags etc.

This is easy for him because, i started him FLASH CARD method when he was 9 months old. after joining the play school he can recognise everything.

he listen to all kind of music, rhymes. trying to talk by combining 2 to 3 words. he tells slokas in his childish language.

he is very naughty. his miss used to tell, if i give him a book he will be very happy and quite interested to read the books, as the way he likes.

Regards,
    Anitha

8. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi all Moms,

I have a 3 and a half year daughter. She used to be very adamant, but now she has improved. She didn't like playing with other kids, but now she likes her school friend's and mingles and play with them. Also she wants to go to school on holidays also.

She is going to play school for the past two months and started reciting rhymes and numbers. She identifies all alphabets even if it is in random. She knows numbers from 1 to 50. All days of the week and also the months.

Identifies some vegetables and fruits and all colours. She likes to colour and draw. She always need new crayons and sketch pens. She don't play much with toys. :confused:
    Likes to watch cartoons and film songs. She sings some of the songs in her own language.

Eating is a problem for her. Does not like fruits at all. Eats whatever she takes to school. But at home, have to struggle hard to make her eat.

Another problem, I face is, she writes and eats with left hand. I have succeeded to some extent in making her eat with right hand now. But she is not comfortable with right hand writing. :icon_frown:

9. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi Manju,
    Even my youger daughter picks her food and holds the pencil with the left hand. The teacher at my older daughter's school says that is is best to leave them to do what they are comfortable with. For them that is the easiset thing to do and a matter of habit so i stoped dissuading her.

10. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Hi All moms,

My daughter is 3 yr old. Her name is Khushi Motwani. She has joined a nursery school nearby.

Morning - she gets up at 6.30, watches e-junior channel till 7.15Am, meantime i will pack her bag, dress her up, make her ready for the school.
    (She doesnt eat/drink anyting, very stubborn)

Afternoon 1.30 she is back from school by Van

Her Lunch box - parata(dif. variey) with yougurt mostly
    Snack box - Biscuit (but she doesnt like to eat, i dont know who eats)
    One Juice Box, One water bottle. It all depends on her mood.

Afternoon, we both will fight and she will win and wants to drink milk in bottle. She is tired, so i give it up. She will come home and do potty, before she usually does as soon as she gets up, but she has bcom councious now, i send her in nappy, though at home she doesnt wear, as the school is still new for her.

Around 4PM she will have rice with soup(sambar/rasam) or curd. Doesnt like to eat any vegetable. She eats on her own as far as i remember. She is poor eater but i gave up as she spits, vomits, screams if we force her. Whenever she is hungry she will come and ask, sometime she will eat, some time she doesnt.

In the night she will have parata or rice or nothing depends on her mood. She may liked to eat kellogs choclate pillows at 12 with milk. She has juices and oter snacks in between. She sleeps very late. But now bcos of school we sleep atleast by 11pm.

She is hypeactive. She can play from morning till midnight without eating just only drinking milk may be 2 times. I dont know how these kids get energy. Went to doctor to get his advice. He said weight is ok for her height and she is active, so dont fuss too much about eating. All kids are like that.

She likes juices, chips, fried items like samoosa, pakora, muruka etc. But school doesnt allow to give these not even rice. She likes salted and fried cashews. She doesnt like more of biscuits, wafers, etc.

Sometimes she eats dosa, idli, noodles, veg rice(without veg), soup, pizza(small piece), cake(first time she had in her 3rd birthday party),............

Dont stop the milk for kids. Dont introduce coffee/tea, once they start liking it is difficult to make them drink milk. She sometimes drink my coffee. She likes bitter things like medicine syrups, sundried & fried bittergourd, cluster beans, lotus stem.

She is hyperactive and very intelligent(kakaiku than kunju pon kunju).
    She knows A-Z, atleast 15 rhymes, Days of the week,Months, 1 to 10, She knows 1001 words +, she can talk fluently in english, she can play in laptop and computer games like Hammer head, luzor, Chameleon Gems,... and can win and she has completed so many levels, she watches cartoons in dvd, animated movies(Garfield, Micky Mouse, Happy feet- her favourites), rhymes vcds, she knows to connect modem wire to computer and telephone line, to connect mouse to laptop , she knows very well to operate laptop and computer for her age.(She knows from 2.5 years). She can remember movies very well. She can sing movie songs, one sloka.

There is also other side for everything, she is stubborn, screams on top of her voice to get her things done, will never quit fighting, wants attention always, praise her for everything, she likes to mix with other kids but she has her own choice, likes to dominate even older soft kids.

OH, let me stop bragging too much. I am sure every mom is proud of her son/daughter. Thanks for giving an oppurtunity to write about my daughter.