Home made remedy for increasing breast milk

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by JayaJ, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Sindhur

Sindhur New IL'ite

breast feeding

Hi there

My friend is adopting a baby - on the same day as delivery some time next month. She would like to know what are the chances if possible of her breast feeding? is it done or possible? if not how do she manage the babys health and feeds? Please help.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: breast feeding

Hi Sindhur,
    I know this is possible. I've read articles regarding this. The mom is put on Reglan to start lactating. I think there is a feeding method where formula milk is filled into a feeder and the feeder has a tiny tube fixed onto the mom's breast. The baby is then made to nurse. The baby stimulates lactation and reglan helps too. Even if the mom is not able to get a complete supply, every little counts so she could try this. Here is a link from Kelly Mom regarding adoptive nursing.

Good Luck to your friend.

^^Adding a few more useful links -
    Lact-aid is the supplemental feeder I was talking about. You can read information about it.
    Another good link on adoptive nursing and effects on Mom/baby.
    The La Leche League has a ton of resources for adoptive nursing. Here is one of them. Lot of success stories to motivate your friend.
    L

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. Sindhur

Sindhur New IL'ite

Laks Thanks a lot. That is a lot of info. I hope we have some support system live here and India as they will be in India for some time. Thank you again. Its wonderful to know someone has tried it and done it and been success. WOW to them and wow to my friend who's doing this. Hope they bond well.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sindhur,
    I am not sure of adoptive nursing in India. Hope you find some support/lactation consultant who can help.

Regards,
    L

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Sindur, Do ask your friend to look up the Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India, Dr Arun Gupta or Dr JP Dadich in New Delhi... They should be able to put you in touch with an OB/Paed who supports Adoptive lactation Protocol in Chennai. Also, the La Leche League has units in Bangalore and Mumbai, Ms Kavitha Mukhi is one of the leaders in Mumbai that I have been in touch with and she could have the resources your friend is looking for. Good luck for your friend. Adoptive Lactation is done by Dr Jack Newman and he has an eponymous website and I've heard from moms in another breastfeeding suport group that he does respond on email. That could be a starting point. I am terribly sorry, I have not gone through the links that Laks has provided here, so I hope there is no overlap.

6. Sindhur

Sindhur New IL'ite

Hey Tikka Thank you. We have got in touch with LLLI. We have got an affirmative reply. Hope things work out for them

7. mithrakathir

mithrakathir New IL'ite

wipe after breast feeding

can i use baby wipes to clean baby's mouth and my breast after breast feeding

8. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

Re: wipe after breast feeding

Ithink if its unscented maybe ok.But I always preferred to use a wash cloth or regular facial tissue .

9. NandiniGG

NandiniGG Silver IL'ite

Breastfeeding with supplement

Hi,

I have a 1 month old baby and i am breastfeeding exclusively right now.
    The thing i want to know is i am not able to sleep more than 3 hours in night and sometimes i feel too tired to get up.Sometimes the baby gets up early even before 3 hours and doesn't sleep back.My night time feeding takes 2 hours most of the time.What happens is i feed her and she sleeps.I check whether she is hungry or not but she lose the latch and sleeps.Then as soon as i put her back in the bed she wakes up and again start rooting.This is very tiring and irritating for me because i am also sleepy at that time.
    Then after so much of hard work she sleeps again and again start crying after 2 hours.
    I want to know how you guys did?I mean i am not sure how long i will be able to continue this its difficult for me but i want to breastfeed my baby.I don't want to discontinue this.
    I asked her pediatrician about giving her supplement in the night time..she said there is no medical need and your milk supply will reduce.The more you feed the more milk supply you will get for growing baby.
    The another thing i have sore nipples.I apply lanolin cream.
    what I want to know is when did you guys start giving your baby supplement?When you start giving supplement did she left having your milk because this happened to lot of my friends?
    Another thing i am afraid about is now she is just 1 month old but as she grows her diet will also increase then will it be more time consuming for me?
    Please write me your experiences of breastfeeding.

10. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

Re: Breastfeeding with supplement

Oh no no... just dont worry... as your baby grows.. she will store more milk and she will sleep for long hours in the night...

Just in case if she is sleeping continuosly in the day try to change that routine.

If you start with the supplement, the breast milk flow decreases and it will take even more time for the baby to finish her meal. Make sure she finishes a meal before she goes to sleep... if she sleeps in between disturb her so that finishes it and then sleeps.

If you are too tired.. try to put her on your side and feed her in the lying down position.

Believe me prepaing the supplement in the midnight is more difficult that feeding for long hours. Fortunately my boy sleeps continuosuly in the night atleast for 5 hours.. and then I feed him and he continues to sleep...

Good luck
    Bye
    Priya