1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Does Mom-in-laws put restrictions on Daughter-in-laws way of dressing / Living?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by limkabook, Jul 28, 2009.

1. limkabook

limkabook Bronze IL'ite

Re: Why Does Mom-in-laws put restrictions on Daughter-in-laws way of dressing / Livin

Thanks Pals for sharing all of u'r views...It was indeed pleasure reading it.:cheers

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Re: Why Does Mom-in-laws put restrictions on Daughter-in-laws way of dressing / Livin

different kind of MILS out there:).
    some comment on clothes,some on the ways of living,some on finances etc etc.
    I too think it might be insecurity. Or some are so traditional that they cannot accept change! there may be other reasons too

anyway,in my case my MIL is cool about anything i wear. and her daughter (my SIL) too has a good dressing sense.

3. limkabook

limkabook Bronze IL'ite

Neha,

Yeah ,INSECURITY could be one of the main reasons, other than tat all i can think of is JEALOUSY :twisted:

Good to know that you have a cool MIL.:thumbsup

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. svb

svb New IL'ite

you got it !!

5. priyaluvsbaby

priyaluvsbaby New IL'ite

I guess am fortunate enough to get a MIL who does not complain about my dressing if she likes it or not...Back in India I was wearing shirts and jeans but not the little tight ones that am wearing now...It looks good and here people dont stare ;)

We can wear these dresses only till certain age and I want to enjoy wearing them....When I was growing up my parents dint let me dress modern because they were worried that it would cause unncessary attention and i accept that..But now we are grown ups and we know what will make look better...If my MIL says something on my dressing i will agree with her if it really genuine...else politely tell her I like it like this...period

As long as my husband is not uncomfortable to be around me I dont care... :)
    Come on ladies...It is one short and sweet ife and don't we deserve to dress up the way want..? (Of course we are not going to dress up like brats !!:biglaugh)

6. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

My In laws live in a small town. Most of the folks around are relatives or close friends. The concept of minding one's own business is almost non-existant.

In the early days of my marriage my MIL would ask us to visit close relatives around. When I get dressed, she would inspect ( yes !! literally) and sometimes ask me to change if the dressing is not "conservative" enough. Now, her definition of "conservative" is a bit too much for me.
    For eg. Once she made me change a nice Fab India kurta because it doesnt have a dupatta. I tried explaining that kurtas are meant to be worn without dupatta, but she said - "Oh no no... people will comment" :).

Now, 8 yrs since my marriage and now I just wear something decent and whatever I am comfortable in. Last time, when we were planning a trip to in-laws, I gave a heads up to DH that none of my current dresses may fit the "protocol" at in-laws' and that I may need a new set of dresses. My DH said - "dont worry about what they think, just wear what you usually wear". So, this time when I was at in-law's I even wore jeans and Tshirts:biglaugh. My MIL was not very happy.Basically,I dont know why she has a problem with it. Fine, so be it.I just dont think it is worth wasting time analysing that.

7. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Oh mine was a different story , Its not my MIL but my co-sil who tries to put restrictions,this was when i was newly married ...... if i wore simple jeans and tee, she would come and say you are not allowed to were these clothes mil will get angry , i used to be really surprised, and since mine an arranged marriage still trying to understand ppl i used to listen to her.

One day my MIL told me Ro , why are you are wearing only traditions outfits, where r u jeans and skirts as you nice in them more that these cloths. I was so surprised by that.

Its just co-sil is jealous, after a yr later she started wearing jean and tee....hhhmmm talk abt hypocrisy

8. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

1. To show the MIL power as you mentioned..
    2. Show that they are very very decent ... even she knows very well that DILs are decent too..
    3. To tell that her own daughters are good than DIL. :X

9. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

People will have biased statements on this!!!I feel, if clothes get good look after wearing by DIL, they think that DIL made her SON to spend on clothes like anything and they overestimate its cost though we tell its genuine cost.
    So, frankly speaking, MIL's doesn't like spending for DIL by her SON........if She gets it through her parents/relatives, I think she doesn't pass any comments.

10. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

My MIL is a real angel,leaves not only dressing but everythin to my wish....she doesnlt know much about the latest trend of salwars or skirts...wen i tell her these are latest,next time wen she comes with me or she intends to buy somethin for me,she would ask me whether tat type of skirt of salwar is available...also if she sees any relative wearing some nice dress ,she would enquire abt that dress and tell me where i can buy that...even in case my DH makes fun of me wen i wear makeup and put on accessories,she would say"let her do whatever she wants....dont make fun"....she herself would ask me to purchase/change my jeans,skirts or salwars if they look old...i usually show even the smallest dress or accessories purchase,be it even a 100Rs purchase to her...she would admire my collections
    she likes sarees and would admire wen i wear...but rarely i wear them...i love to wear sarrees but becoz of my work schedule and also becoz i have to reduce a bit ,i hence feel a little bad to wear saree... but she doesn't tell me anythin...for important pujas and functions alone ,i wear saree...in case i wear heavy work or silk sarees for a long time,she herself would ask me to go and change to skirts or salwars...i really want to reduce soon and wear saree often just for my MIL...hope i reduce soon
    in fact even if any relative tell bad abt my dressing,she would talk back for me such that that relative never opens her mouth...hehehe
    i love my MIL

1 person likes this.