1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help!! I am vexed with my Inlaws and SIL :(

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by dhatri, Aug 1, 2010.

1. dhatri

dhatri New IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Crishikag%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="Edit-Time-Data" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Crishikag%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_editdata.mso"><!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi All,

This is my first post here. I'm venting here over the last several episodes because I'm finding it harder than ever to keep my mouth shut. Hoping that all of you will provide your valuable suggestions for my problem

A little bit of my background:

I am 26 married to a sw engineer and live in <st1:place u4:st="on"><st1:city u4:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangalore</st1:place></st1:city></st1:city></st1:place>. My In-laws and parents live in a <st1:city u4:st="on"><st1:place u4:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Hyderabad</st1:place></st1:city></st1:place></st1:city>. Mine is an arranged marriage and I am a working . I am come from a financially we to do and highly educated family than DH's and my inlaws were aware of this before our wedding. . I do not have kids yet. DH is a very sweet guy and loves me a lot. The problem is with my MIL and SIL. Both are very cunning, always emotionally blackmail my husband and keep complaining about my parents. SIL is married and has a baby. They live here in <st1:city u4:st="on"><st1:place u4:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangalore</st1:place></st1:city></st1:place></st1:city> very close to our home. SIL thinks she is still a baby herself and expects us to do every thing for her. They always try to create problems for us and complain to my husband that I spend too much of money on trips ( I love travelling and make sure we make 1 or 2 trips every year to some place), don’t cook for him, don’t respect them etc etc. My SIL does not work and still she squanders money on trips, shopping etc and nobody complains. Whatever SIL does is perfect and everything I do has flaws in it according to my inlaws. They never ever appreciated me till today but always copy my ideas, thoughts, ways dressing etc etc.They have double standards....i shud not call my husband by name but their daughter can. I should not talk\maintain relationship with my parents or brother but they call their daughter everyday.

The only problem with my husband is that he never talks against his family and thinks they are very fair minded and kind people (which are not).Whenever i tell him that his parents and sis are not behaving with me properly, he brushes my concerns aside and argues that he knows his family well and they cannot lie\torture\misbehave with me.

THE ACTUAL PROBLEM:

We have not been married for too long (2 yrs) and I love to spend time with my husband, go out for movies and have fun. My sister in law thinks we are free baby sitters and drops in uninvited, leaves the baby at our home and disappears for hrs together to spend time with her hubby.I land up taking care of the baby, changing diapers and feeding food to the child<u5:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" u1:spt="75" u1:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><u5:stroke joinstyle="miter"><u5:formulas><u5:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"><u5:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"><u5:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"><u5:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"><u5:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"><u5:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"><u5:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"><u5:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"><u5:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"><u5:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"><u5:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"><u5:path u1:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" u1:connecttype="rect"><u5:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style="width: 24pt; height: 24pt;">:bonk<!--[endif]-->this has happened several times and my husband keeps quite when they do this. I have several fights with him about this, begged him to inform them that we need our *space* and a have a life of our own. He is too scared to talk to his mom and sis about this becoz he fears this will destroy our relations<u5:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style="width: 24pt; height: 24pt;"><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt;height:24pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\rishikag\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\rishikag\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:hide:

They don’t even have the courtesy to call us and ask if we are ok with them coming over to our place. MIL keeps nagging husband to invite them for breakfast\lunch\dinner on weekends. She calls my husband anytime of the day\night to help her buy groceries and other stuff (god knows what her husband does?)

What should i do? Should i talk to her and let her know that i am not pleased with her behavior?

We recently bought a flat and moved here about a month ago. I did a lot of research and went around a lot before i decided to buy the place since i wanted a perfect home I was happy that i will have some peace of mind but bham!!!!!! ......now my sister in law and her husband like our community so much that they have given a check to reserve a home here<u5:shape id="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style="width: 24pt; height: 24pt;"><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt;height:24pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\rishikag\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\rishikag\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:drowning. We tried our best to tell them in several indirect ways that we don’t want them to buy a home here but nothing worked<u5:shape id="_x0000_i1028" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style="width: 24pt; height: 24pt;"><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1028" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt;height:24pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\rishikag\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\rishikag\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->. My MIL is encouraging them to buy here.

I am so devastated ladies. I can’t imagine them and me living in the same community...my life will become miserable...I will become a permanent baby sitter :( When my inlaws visit, they will stay at our place since MIL thinks it’s a crime to go and stay\eat at daughter's place. My SIL will come and stay here itself if her parents are visiting. I don’t have a great rapport with inlaws and they hardly talk to me (it’s been like 3 months since we talked). She expects me to cook, clean, manage the home, do seva for my husband and still go out and earn money.

How should i handle this situation? How can i convince them not to buy here? What should if they go ahead and buy here anyways?

MIL tries to control us in everything, tell me what to cook ,how to cook, what to wear, when to go out. They expect us to give them control of our finances!! Father inlaw is still working and DH bought them a nice flat to live in before we were married but that is not enough for them ...they need money money and more money. They don’t want my husband to buy me a car since they think I will become independent if I drive. They were really upset because we bought a home. She hates it when we go out to eat since it a waste of money .They suffer from SEVERE INFERIORITY COMPLEX SYNDROME. MIL cries and created a big drama on phone that my hubby doesn’t talk to her anymore (he calls her 2 times a day), that I have ruined their relationship. They always have a feeling that my parents give us advice and we listen to them which is not true at all. My parents are well off and MIL can’t digest this fact...she is jealous of my mom ...they once went to my place, had a wonderfull dinner and came back to complain that my mom served them curd rice :( They stopped talking to my parents now. They are extremely manipulative and mean people

MIL even brainwashes my husband against my parents and husband doesn't interact\talk much with my folks. I am the only girl child for my parents and they always expected their son-inlaw to be like their son. They treat my husband very well and are greatly hurt by his behavior.

I can truthfully say that I have always been very nice to his family. I never stopped my husband from doing something from them. I don’t understand why they want to create troubles for me? They hate us being happy and .I am not the type of person to hate anyone, I am a kind hearted person, but the constant rejection, nasty jealous comments when we visit, favoritism has made me not want to be around them anymore and I feel like I want to cut myself off from them totally. I dont like visiting them anymore because I feel totally depressed when I meet them and it really gets me down. I love my husband dearly and would never say nothing to hurt his feelings but his family is really horrible.

Please tell me how i can handle these pathetic people?They are acting on my nerves and I cannot tolerate this anymore Will it be OK if i have a candid talk with them and my husband? Should i involve my parents?

Sorry for the Long post. Thanks a lot of reading it. Suggestions on how I can GET MY LIFE BACK and be happy are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dhatri

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]--></u5:shape></u5:shape></u5:shape></u5:shape></u5:path></u5:f></u5:f></u5:f></u5:f></u5:f></u5:f></u5:f></u5:f></u5:f></u5:f></u5:f></u5:formulas></u5:stroke></u5:shapetype>
    <u1:p></u1:p> <u1:p> </u1:p>
    <meta http-equiv="x-dns-prefetch-control" content="on">

2. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    u have several probs...which though not very serious but they will trouble u!
    Firstly, do not live under the impression that ur dh will hear anything against his parents patiently. Nobody would if they r the worst people on planet earth. My dh cannot hear anything against anybody related to him by blood...that includes uncles nd aunts as well who did not hesitate to behave badly with me at the first opportunity! Maybe what u can do is just let him know that his sis said this to you...honesty is not the best policy wen it comes to dh'sfamily! be tactful.

Ur other prob is that ur sil leaves her kid with u. Since u r working then probably she leaves her kids on weekends. So make plans for every other weekend nd let ur sil know that u r busy with something else. She shud get the hint. As far as ur spending too much is concerned...don't bother with wat these people say. Tell them that both u nd hubby r working and have purchased a property in ur 20's. So now u can enjoy urself! If they feel jealous it is their prob.
    U know i don't spend too much on clothes nd stuff...my in laws have a prob with that :bonkbcoz their darling daughter is a good for nothing unmarried spendthrift! so in laws can never be pleased...watever u do!

Now ur sil is planning to buy a prop in ur society...well u can't do too much about it...maybe u can highlight some minor probs that r there in the design of the house or the maintanence or security or some rubbish prob...she might back out then...
    Also start ignoring her...don't give her too much imp.in ur life. I learnt that ignoring ur sil is the best policy...it has taken me 5 hard yrs to learn this lesson!

Don't worry too much...live ur life nd enjoy it. U have to keep relations with these people even if they hurt u:rant...come to terms with that and live ur life peacefully!:coffee

Cheers!

3. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Your situation is EXACTLTY the same as mine. Word by word. Some part of it is my future (coz SIL is yet to get married).

I am yet to find a solution. As of now, I've isolated myself completely from them and I talk to them only if necessary. They brainwashed DH against my parents and DH doenst really talk to them.

4. krithiks

krithiks New IL'ite

Hey Dhatri,
    Pretty tricky spot to be in...
    Jokingly tell your husband that you have gained enough experience to manage kids and to make the most of these 'no-kids' years..Wake up early on weekends and take-off somewhere every other week or so before in-laws land in with babysitting requests. Since you work, just let them know it is the time for all house chores and go about it. Make time for the two of you but do help them every once in a while. Whatever you do, like others have said, be very tactful since these are very long-term relationships.

Cheers

5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Whenever you SIL drops the kid,don't complain and don't nag.Quilty remove yourself from your house and tell your husband you have some work.Since he doesn't have any issue,he should able to take care of his neice.
    As long as you take care they don't feel any pain of it.There is no way you can vaoid your SIL buying in same community.
    Whenever you MIL visits,arrange some cook to take care of there needs but don't nag about them to your husband and it will create more issues.

6. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can try Priya16's suggestion.

Another suggestion is , the moment they leave the baby happily baby-sit for 20 mins, then give ur SIL a call and let her know the baby is crying a lot and is not staying with you. SIL will come back immediately to pick up the baby.

You do this twice and she'll get the clue.

or you can be upfront in letting her know that you have chores to do and if your DH can baby-sit the baby its his responsibility.

7. dhatri

dhatri New IL'ite

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate it :)

8. ANUKOLLI

ANUKOLLI New IL'ite

Hi
    friend..it is very unhappy to see you bothering..
    just leave the baby to your husband for one or tow times when your SIL ASKS FOR BABY SITTING..YOU JUST PLAN SHOPPING FOR YOUR SELF ON THAT DAY WITH YOUR FRIENDS..
    BY PLANNING IN YOUR WAY ...JUST LET YOUR HUSBAND PRACTICALLY EXPERIENCE HOW YOU ARE MISSING YOUR SPACE..
    THIS WILL MADE HIM TO REALIZE AND TELL TO HIS SISTER..
    REGARDING YOUR MIL'S BEHAVIOUR..THAT IS QUITE COMMON FOR STUPID PEOPLE TO REACT LIKE THAT..
    IN FUTURE DON'T TELL THEM YOUR PLANS BEFORE IT SELF..
    WHEN SHE CALLS YOU FOR BABY SITTING ..JUST TELL HER THAT YOU ARE GOING TO SHOPPING WHICH YOU PLANNED BEFORE IT SELF AND YOU DON'T FIND TIME TO INFORM HER.
    APPLY THEM AND LET US KNOW
    GOOD LUCK
    TANUJA
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. ITSMEHERE45

ITSMEHERE45 New IL'ite

tell her that u have already got tickets for a movie or got cold which could spread to babies as well. these are temporary but when u repeat them, ur sil will understand. also reduce speaking to ur pils and if they complain about it, tell them u r having some deadlines and ur DH can inform u if ur pils need ur help.

10. sng

sng Senior IL'ite

Wahooo..great friends,

I was also not able to figure out for suggestions...but u guys are awesome...I do not think I have to advice now but yah...one more I want to add...arrange a baby sitter for ur SIL for sat or sun....India u can easily find somebody for 4-6 hrs so If they really need anybody to help them ..they can choose it too..But anyways this is not ur problem...Let her find urself....yah but for ur ILS visit u hire a maid for them....and keep busy urself most of the time infront of them....

Ofcourse..it will be a problem if she lives with u but u can not do about it anything.....SIL will not leave u ..wherever u will go..she will follow u..Check if u want to change city..like move to DELHI both of u