1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Calling options to India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shubhasiddharth, Aug 4, 2010.

1. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

Vonage is the in thing now and would I be doomed if I say I dont have one?I have always used Reliance calling card to make calls to India and everytime I recharge for $25 and I exhaust it in about 1 1/2-2 months.My parents in India already have a hotspot T mobile conenction, so I never need to call them using my reliance card.The reliance card is exclusively used to make calls to In laws and other family members and friends.Then came Airtel and I wanted to try it too..I wasnt too happy with the service- everytime the call doesnt get through, I will have to dial all the way..it was irritating at a point. I now switch between Reliance and Airtel cards..
    I am having enough pressure from friends and my sister here to switch to Vonage-all said and done, you get to make pretty much unlimited calls to 60 odd countries, but irrespective of your usage, you need to shell out about $30 (inclusive of taxes) every month.That bothers me a bit.I donot want to keep paying 25 bucks every month..Do I have any other option?I am not looking at calling cards option here..just trying to find out if there is anything else like Vonage but at a comparitively better rate or with a better deal..I know of one..VoIP Home Phone Service | Ooma

2. kv_shyamala

kv_shyamala New IL'ite

Hi,

I am using IndiaLD. I felt it is far cheap and it is very clear. Previously, I have used Reliance. But again even if you have exhausted the minutes or not, we need to pay every month. For 500 minutes, it is $7.25 approximately with tax. I am looking for something cheaper than this with good service so that I need not pay monthly.

3. pravasree

pravasree New IL'ite

hi vonage is best other than that use indianminutes it is also good

4. shubhasiddharth

Thank you, but I am not looking for calling card options..I am looking for a VOIP service other than Vonage, if there would be any..I am even told there is a phone in costco ( a one time investment) and its like a landline phone ( instrument wise) back in India..and ya, I have heard enough and more bad reviews on magic jack..

5. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Have you tried SKYPE?

OOPALL

6. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

I think ur best bet is Vonage if u want to go the way of VOIP. Magic Jack is useful only if used by ppl in India (which I feel is not wat u r looking for).. If u don't want to switch to Vonage (like me.. I too have resisted the Vonage peer pressure :thumbsup ) u shd just stick to some calling card provider.. I use Stanacard and it's gud.. No monthly charges etc.. U can also map India numbers to American numbers for easy dialing.. Chk it out!!

7. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi Subha,

I am using Allvoi. Works same as vonage..Its also VOIP phone..
    Very clear, unlimited calls to India and many other countries.
    The good thing is unlike vonage, there is no contract..
    And monthly cost is $5 less than vonage..
    But initial setup cost is $ 10 for adapter and $13 for shipping the adapter..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Can you clarify what this is shubha, I may learn a thing or two LOL!

Like you and like aparnanc, I too have resisted the temptation to go the V-route thus far.

There are two things that people keep advicing me on in life:
    1. You guys (me and DW) need to contribute to the population metric of this world soon. Everyone and anyone under the sun feels the compulsion to tell us this.

2. I need to start drinking the V-koolaid. I get lot of weird looks since I have resisted the V!
    I use Rel card like you do, but what is the T-mobile thingy? Is it advantageous for India calls from US?

9. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

10. shubhasiddharth

Here is the link on hot spot connection- its a US mobile phone configured to your router.I got one for my parents 3 years ago and they have been using it.Its a US number too, they get to call us whenever they want without waiting for us to call them..As long as you have a good internet connection, you are good to go.But unfortunately, T mobile has stopped this hot spot attraction- meaning no new connections under the hot spot scheme..Also, not all handsets are compatible with the hotspot phone scheme..there are only a few.

https://content.hotspot.t-mobile.com/AssetProcess.asp?asset=com.default.main.001