1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

alone and confused

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by chaisse7685, Aug 5, 2010.

1. chaisse7685

chaisse7685 New IL'ite

Hi guys! So this is my story....

I am currently 6 months pregnant and am absolutely going bonkers about what to do when my due date comes. My boyfriend is currently deployed in Afghanistan and i am absolutely alone in a new city. I decided to stay here and I thought that I could probably do the labor and delivery by myself no problem, but as my due date approaches I am getting more agitated and nervous if I actually could do it. I have looked into hiring a doula to help me out during delivery, but I am still concerned about any help I could get after the delivery. I have read stories about women giving birth and being up and about in less than 48 hours so that was encouraging. But I don't know how my own birth experience will turn out and if I would make a speedy recovery as these women I have read about. Relatives coming to help out is out of the picture. My parents are retired and had moved back to the Philippines. I have one sister in North Carolina (who also had a baby last December) who is willing to help me out but just couldnt make it here to Texas. She suggested instead that I go there and give birth there that way she and her husband can give me the support and help I need. And I thought that was the solution to my problem but as it turns out it is not that simple. If i do drive out there I have to look for a place to stay at since they do not have the extra room for me and a baby. Aside from that I do not have insurance. There is a community health clinic I go to that gives huge discount for prenatal care and make it affordable for me and I have found a birthing center that does not charge a lot for labor and delivery and if I have to drive and deliver the baby in North Carolina I would have to find a place to deliver and possibly an OB that can see me when I am almost at the last leg of my pregnancy. I am torn about what to do... I keep going back and forth and it is driving me crazy! And the more I am undecided about what to do the more that I cannot come up with an appropriate plan of action.... So I guess I just want to hear what other people might think is wiser to do because I have been reasoning back and forth with myself and it is not going anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any insight that you guys might give.

2. Sindhur

Sindhur New IL'ite

chaisse, Lets look at all angles you can explore, shall we?any friends? What about your best friends? families you are friends with who can be around? Or your boyfriends friends, familes of friends / collegues? Army has a lot of family su[pport system. Have you tried leveraging on that? Your boy friend can help by asking his friends to request their families to help. Is he aware? Is his family around? Would they come? There are lots of resources you can get help/support from. Do not worry.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Do you plan to marry your boyfriend? I ask as it seems this is the time to do it if you are going to do it. He can arrange a long distance ceremony through the chaplain and then you can get on his champus (medical insurance). Then you have more options on how to proceed. I would think that going to your sister's area would be a good option. You can contact ministers (preferably of your religion) and ask if there is anyone in the congregation that can rent you a room for a few months until you get back to work.