1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pls advice-- gift for sil to b!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by nebpharm, Aug 2, 2010.

1. nebpharm

nebpharm Bronze IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CWINDOWS%5CTEMP%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi,
    I am confused about a thing .please gives me <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">ur</st1:city></st1:place> suggesions.-

My brother in law is going to get engaged this month. I earlier decided to give a beautiful suit or sari to my to b sis in law. When I hinted this casually to my mil, she said we should gift her small gold ring. My hubby also said that he wants the same. After small but straight talk he said ok its upto u, give whatever u like.
    Now this month we r tight money wise, moreover everybody is coming at our place for function. Moreover I don’t want to spent too much. (I didn’t buyied a single piece of thing after marriage n we hav some loans to pay too!!) I don’t want to show off, as my hubby says we shld a bit.
    I want to b honest, not keeping my relationships with my mil n bil in my mind.(say not very nice). It this a good idea to give ring or ignore everyone’s advice n do what I earlier thought. I don’t want to ignore customes n my responsibilities too!!

2. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

You can give One gram gold dollars which may cost around Rs.3000

Or silver ornaments [if she is not allergic to it], pearl sets etc

3. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

are you spending anything else on this wedding? are you giving your bil a gift?
    if its only a token gift as a sign of welcoming the new bride, find out what she likes and get something within your budget that she would like..
    Sarees, unless you are sponsoring the main sarees gifted by the bridegrooms side, i dont think would make much of a impression unless the girl is crazy about sarees.. its her wedding time and obviously she would have gotten a few many new sarees at this time right?? atleast thats what i personally feel about ppl gifting sarees or clothes during wedding unless its part of the ritual...

get her jewellery like mithy mentioned, or a watch.. a saree would come to easily 5k-8,10k plus if you want a bit of special one right? why not get a watch or smthg similar which she might like/enjoy/use ...

But if you are not doing anything else for the wedding i do understand the concern your DH has about gifting a gold ring etc.. wouldnt you want to do smthg spl if it was your brothers fiancee??

About spending when you havent gotten yourself anythg spl, well that is eating you mainly because you dont share a good relation with your mil & bil.. but think of yoru DH and his wishes for a bit too.. Good luck in coming to a decision...

4. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Get her something special within your budget.

5. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Go for 1 gm gold ring. It will be less expensive than a real good sari.

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Whatever you wish to buy, to do within your budget.. Do not do anything for society tradition etc. Just buy them with the money you have.

7. sillygurl

sillygurl Senior IL'ite

I wouldn't gift anyone gold plated items as wedding gift,it's kinda cheap . If it's a bday gift it' s ok.

Buy her a ring of lower weight/ small stud instead - whichever fits within your budget

If you are going for a regular everyday wear saree, then it wouldn't make a good impression either.

8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Ria,Customs and traditions are all started by a person at one point of time.So dont worry about anybody telling you its so called tradition in in laws family. Chances are they just want you to do a particular thing so its conveniently changed to custom or tradition.

I wudnt do gifting something if I had to pay thru my ears. Thats not a sensible way of doing it.Instead see for something within your budget and find something unique or memorable in it and gift it to her.Good Luck.

9. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Check who is her fav. god like Ganesha or Lord krishna or shirdi sai who ever it is...you can buy a silver idol...might cost you some where b/w 700 and above..depends on what size of the idol you want to gift..

Also these days there are 24k gold filgree idol photo frames...these are new in the market...so buy the idol frame that she can put in her pooja room for prayer. These things can never make them feel bad as anything related to god is always a sign of good luck.

Also if you can give the amount i.e hte budget then we can suggest more ideas...

There are new kind of sarees that are coming in market...georgette silk...the saree slooks awesome with lot of kundan work etc..and they cost from 2000rs...also similar kind found in benares sarees too...same range of cost...so let us know what is the amount that you think you want to spend.

As others said, show creativity in gift giving rather than the amount you are spending..give it out of love and dont make this gift as a big deal which would lead to future expectations from her. Give without any expectations in return.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    minn1 likes this.
  10. nebpharm

nebpharm Bronze IL'ite

Thanks all for the suggestions.
    Actuly I was just thinking about me n my relationships with inlaws. By being in the shoes in my hubby i feel exactly y he wishes to give a ring. will definitely go for something in gold in my budget.:)

I was bein selfish becoz besides workin i was never able to buy anythin for me , but my hubby keeps his all earnigs in my hand so this for him !!