1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Lessons Learnt in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Harithag, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

My goodness, in short all of us has done something or the other wrong. Some funny and really danegerous one!

This happened a year back, I was in UK and there the hostel I lived in had this electric stoves. Because you do not see the flame i was bit difficult for me to gauge what knob position should I use the correct temperature. Once in a hurry for a meeting after lunch though to prepare maggi. I kept the water and maggi on the stove and it just took infinite time to boil.I got frustrated and decided to use the MW. Now note - the vessel I was using on the stove was metal one, I was in a hurry and forgot all the rules of MW (I was anyways using MW for the first time there). So I kep the bowl and started the MW. After just a minute I heard a crackling sound and saw fumes rising inside. Immediately it stuck me and iopened the door and removed the vessel in time! Phew.. that was a close one for me. (And there were other peopel from other countriesin that kitchen with me, thank fully no one saw me in that state, otherwise I would definitely have beenthe laughing stock!!) :biglaugh:biglaugh

Lesson : You know metal pots/utensils shouldn't go inside the microwave. So even if in a hurry, make sure you remember this.

2. Lucywu2012

Lucywu2012 New IL'ite

From this tread, I have learned so much, and thanks a lot.
    I have a experience. I remember that, when I was a young girl, I like doing something by myself. One day, my parents were not at home, suddenly, I'd like to go out to find my friends. And then I really did that, but I didn't know that it would bring a terrible thing to my parents. When I came home, I caught that, my parents were afraid that I was caught by somebody, and they found me everywhere. After I heared that, I felt so sorry to them and I wouldn't go out without telling them!

3. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

A very interesting and useful thread..
    This happened when I was new to the US..I had only little bit of diswashing detergent(meant for dishwasher)left ..So I mixed the diswahing soap(not to be used for the dishwasher)and loaded the vessels and switched on the diswasher..Few minutes later,my kitchen floor was filled with foam..:drowningcoudnt control it..My dh and I tried for 1 hour or so...Atlast the foam episode was over..:rotfl

4. rmalathi

rmalathi Senior IL'ite

Some useful lessons; although some are quite funny!!

I too have committed the mistake of not putting water in the cooker and got it discoloured.

Another incident I can't forget is once when I had invited my friends for lunch. I prepared all the dishes and kept rice for the last. I used the electric cooker as the quantity was large. I washed the rice and set the electric cooker and went to hang the washed clothes and thought that the rice would be ready just in time when my friends arrived.

They came and we started chatting and decided to have lunch after a while. I was in for a rude shock to see the rice uncooked. I then noticed that (the genius that I was):bonk, I had forgotten to press the switch in the electric cooker to cooking - mine had 2 one cooking and the other warming. My poor and hungry friends had to wait another 20 mins. before lunch could be served. I learnt that we should not take things for granted and recheck everythng, especially when we have guests at home.

Cheers,
    Malathi

5. simrannkaur

simrannkaur New IL'ite

Hi,

This is nice thread to share our experiences and horrors sometimes.

I love to try smoothies at home. I keep trying it with different fruits. Once I tried to experiment it with Kiwi. The colour of the smoothie was really very attractive but had a horrible taste.

Then I realised that since Kiwi has a sour taste it doesnt gets mixed with milk. It turns bitter when added in milk. I knew about the pineapple, but learnt about the kiwi too.

6. shininaga

shininaga New IL'ite

Wow - this is indeed a very very interesting thread!! Infact it made me submit my first post int hsi site after becoming a ILite!!

I love cooking and seeing people enjoy the dishes i make. So without saying, i have underwent many incidents that our fellow ILites experienced.

I have a habit of turning off the regulator in the gas cylinder before goign to sleep. This is to avoid gas leakage from the tube. I thought this was a good habit. May be it is!! that night i had to boil some water for my mom during the midnight. I switched on and lighted the burner which subsided after sometimne as the regulator was still off. I opened the regulator (while the burner was still in "on" position) and then noticed that my windows were all closed. I know it is not good to operate a gas stove with closed windows, so went to open them. By the time i came back the gas has rushed out and when i lighted the burner, there was fire upto some 1.5 feet above me.....I was startled to see it and then switched off imm to step back. Thank god i was not close to the stove!!!! :oops:

I realised opening the window was both good and bad. IT ditracted me from switching off the burner, so its bad.... but good thing is, if i had not done it, i am sure the room would be full with gas and the explosion would have been worse...oh noooo:cry:

We have to be carefull while operating the stove, be it day, night, in dark or in light!!!

7. Meenags

Meenags New IL'ite

Indeed a good and useful thread ! .. my experiences are same as some of you here.. milk spilling. engrossed in watching TV ..forgetting that I kept something in the stove.. oh my god.. the egg thing.. i did the same mistake n MW>. :bonkgod the entire kitchen was stinking ..

i had this bad habit of talking over my cell to my parents or friends.. while talking did 'nt realize i added more salt.. and phew.. i had to throw all the veggies in the thrash !.. i spent enough time cutting them.. :spin

so hard lesson learnt.. never ever divert the attention while you are in the kitchen...

meena..

8. tselvij

tselvij New IL'ite

There are many funny experiences I have to share and laugh.

The first time I made sambhar in my aunt's house when she was away. My cousin and I made sambar with kadalai paruppu instead of thuvar dal. When it was getting done, we realised that it was not the sambhar to be. Fearing of what my uncle would say(since he is strict on good food), we served him with the sambhar for lunch. He asked us who made the sambhar. My cousin immediately put me on the hook. But, to my disbelief he said that it taste good and ate two rounds of sambhar rice that day.

The other time I made idly batter in my house when my mother was away on a foreign trip. Oh, idlis were disgusting and my granny complained of stomach aches after eating dosa made from that batter. And my sister's friend who visited us that time told me" we all will make batter in one hour , how come you are grinding it for more than three hours(that too in an electrical wet grinder) "
    That was a very shameful incident

And after marriage , I never took the risk of going to the kitchen as my inlawa would take care. Only when they are away, I used to prepare something with the help of the cooks there. But still one day, I tried making lady's finger poriyal by steaming it. It was all vazhavazha kozhakozha!!!!
    The servants kept on laughing and I decided not to try anything new then.

But now after we started living separately, experimenting with foods on my husband, I have become a better cook

9. varshatk

varshatk New IL'ite

Hi
    I have learnt Lesson abt Washing Machine.In India no prblem in drying clothes but in Europe esp in winter it is quiet tedious since I don,t have space for dryer I have to go with regular one.So in winter I used to put clothes and start it with hot water , clothes used to dry in one day but in 1 or 2 washing there color ,shine reduced and they became very dull!
    So better wash with cold water and for mould problem once a month run the machine with hot water but without clothes.

10. Madmah

Madmah New IL'ite

Hi friends..

THANKS for such a wonderful thread..Let me share one of my kitchen experience..

Am new to kitchen and mom told me the vegetables we cut for cooking should be put in water..

I was about to try ladies finger fry and i cut ladies finger finely and put it in water.. OMG :bowdown.. Horrible it was.. the sticky part of ladies finger was coming out and finally mom managed to make the fry..

MORAL: After chopping don put Ladies finger in water..:thumbsup

Another thing i remember is, i was in the procedure to make bottleguard bajji..i got recipe from my MIL..she asked me to fry the content in oil..I tried the same.. but wen i put the mixture in oil, it got struck at the bottom and with great force i had to apply on the pan to fry it..

The lesson i learnt is, only after the oil becomes hot, shud put the batter in oil while making bhajji, bondas..

THANK YOU..
    Have a successfull day :rotfl