1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

need suggestions from KUMON parents

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by coupon4divya, Jul 29, 2010.

1. coupon4divya

coupon4divya New IL'ite

My son would be going to KinderGarden this year.
    I joined him the kumon phonics 4 months back ....he was givem a test an started at 6a ....althought 6a was easy for him I wanted him start there so he feels kumon is not hard and doesn't get stressed out ....
    Did a very good job in 6a level and moved to 5a .........
    5a went well too ........
    we are done with 4a ...but it was little tough for him (we were doing 5 pages per day rather than 10)....so i decided for repetetion although the teacher said he is doing good with most of the words ..........
    < Since am a working mom am getting stressed out to keep up with this works too>

I have 2 kids my first DS goes to kumon and recently turned 5.
    With 2 kids manging the house work and kids ...you shld understand the hectic life style here .......

My questions go here

1)i recently learned that kids in kindergarden will be at 4a level and the kids in first grade will be in 3a level.....are we moving too fast ??
    Am I pushing my kid too much ....
    2) can i take a break for 6 months and keep doing the 4a level at home in a slow phase ? is it suggested to discontinue the kumon and resume it later time ?
    3) Should I keep going with kumon and keep repeating 4a until he is comfortable ?

since he is my first one my confused of what is right for him ....
    i end up doing experiments with him and try to get suggestions from the experienced ladies here .........

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

If the child is enjoying and not showing resistance, you may not be pushing him too much...you have to watch out as a parent when you cross the line though!

I see no harm in taking a break - if the center gives you book shome, you can do at a slower pace.

Well....that really I really don't know how to answer that :)

But here's what I really feel. As a mom, if it is too stressful, you should cut yourself some slack. It is never easy managing 2kids, work and family. As for his Kumon, as a parent I would do more about teaching love of learning vs learning itself. As long as you meet the goal, I think it should not really matter what level he is at and how much/long he is going. It is consistency and enjoying learning that is important. I am sure you are accomplishing this and I think you are doing a good job as a parent already. This is purely my personal opinion :)

3. nmtkar123

nmtkar123 Senior IL'ite

hi
    my son is going into 6th grade and we just joined Kumon but the japanese administrator is asking us to sign a one year contract and told us that she will not take us if we r just doing the summer and i dont like the pressure at all. i feel we shud have some freedom. i am wondering if any of u have come across such a thing . we r in ny, long island

4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Divya,

For KG student,Kumon really helps
    ! At the end of KG they will write some small small stories.Since for our kids English is not a primary language at home,the Kumon really helps them to performe at school.
    I know with 2 kids is difficult.In my house,mostly my daugther Kumon work will be looked after by my husband.I know as a parent you need to face some emtional trol with Kumon.But with each level first one or 1/12 month will be difficult for the kid.After that they pick up that level easily.But as a parent you need to spend sometime with them and give the nessasary support.
    Beginning of each level you feel this is tough for your kid but at end of the level you can't beleive your kid will be doing just fine.Intial days are tough for both the kid and parents but you will cross the bridge.
    Even my daugther started before her KG.I used to wonder how she will pass this level.But she has been doing greate.She will have some pressue at the beginning of each level but she gets comfort by end of it.
    Since I have 2 kids,my husband will take care of her Kumon work or any studies.I spend time with her on extra workbooks which she enjoys.
    It also depend on the kid.I haerd boys are more resistent to Kumon than girls.Anyhow see patiently for sometime and ask your husband to spend more time with your son and see how it goes.
    But this really helps in ther KG where they would write stories .