1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Herbs & their uses for healthy Hair

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by sweetoo, Jul 16, 2010.

1. sweetoo

sweetoo Silver IL'ite

re: Herbs & their uses for healthy Hair

Coconut (Cocos nuicfera)/ Thengaai (Tamil)/ Narial (Hindi)

The coconut is known as the "Wonder Food". It is a near perfect diet, as it contains almost all the essential nutrients needed by the human body. Coconut is rich in potassium, sodium, magnesium and sulphur. The protein content of coconut is of high quality, containing all the amono-acids.

Coconut Oil improves the texture of hair and helps in hair growth.

Coconut milk is made by processing grated coconut with hot water or milk, which extracts the oil and aromatic compounds. It should not be confused with coconut water, and has a fat content around 17%.When refrigerated and left to set, coconut cream will rise to the top and separate from the milk. The milk is used to produce virgin coconut oil by controlled heating and removing the oil fraction.

Coconut Milk Soak: Apply coconut milk on your scalp. It feels cool and relaxing and regular use would make your hair silky and also improves hair growth.

Coconut Milk-Hair-Pack II: Squeeze the milk out of a half a coconut, add the juice of half a lime and massage into the scalp. Leave it on for 4-6 hours. Wash it with a mild shampoo or crushed hibiscus leaves mixed with a tablespoon of crushed fenugreek (methi) seed and made into a paste.

Coconut Milk- Hair-Pack III: Mix Amla powder (1 tsp), fenugreek powder (1 tsp), Henna powder (t tsp) in 2 tsp of coconut milk and apply on hair as hair-pack. Rinse hair in one hour. Do this once a week for black hair (or to retain the color of your hair)

Herbal hair Oil Preparation:
    Take equal weights of Avuri (indigofera tinctoria), Henna leaves, Bringhraj (Eclipta prostrata), Amla and Hibiscus flowers in equal quantity of coconut oil and grind to pase. Mix the paste with an equal quantity of coconut oil and heat on a medium fire till the moisture evaporates. Cool and filter and store in a bottle. Rub on the scalp and hair daily

Remedy for Itchy Scalp: Add 1 teaspoon of camphor to half a cup of coconut oil and store it in glass container.
    Dosage: Massage this oil into the scalp before bed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. LittleRed

LittleRed New IL'ite

I seem to be having the opposite reaction to the use of oil and herbs on my scalp and in my hair. I have been suffering through a lot of breakage. I lose hairs as I'm rubbing in the oil onto my scalp. I lose hairs as I stand in the shower and let the water rinse my hair out, I continue to lose hair as I shampoo out the oil, and then I lose lots more hair over the next twenty-four hours after I shampoo. I counted last night and it was around two hundred strands of hair that had broken off. This morning, I found two more wads of hair hanging off the edges.

Seriously, I'm very concerned. It's never been this bad until I starting this whole regimen of oiling my scalp. What could I be doing wrong?

3. abinayaaa

abinayaaa Senior IL'ite

Hai Littlered,
    First thing to get rid of hair fall is stopping the use of shower. If you use shower your hairfall will raise. You stop this and you will notice the excellent results.
    Abinayaaa

4. sweetoo

sweetoo Silver IL'ite

Hi littlered,

Several factors contribute to hairfall ; anaemia, disease affected roots of the hair, the diseases caused by heat in the body, dandruff, lack of nutrition or too much exposure of the hair to the Sun.

Remember, different treatments suit different types of hair, if the home made remedies are not helping you, you should consult a physician, they generally prescribe iron capsules and vitamin tablets to check the falling of hair & if u r not able to do so, u can also take these supplements on your own but not for more than 15 days..

try to take high protien diet, take sprouted moong beans & milk daily in the breakfast, spinach has a good iron content so gulp it. Take aloevera & amla juice daily in the morning to calm down the heat in the body, don't expect results too fast, it may take 2-3 weeks to see visible results & also may vary from person to person.

Many experts say that the best cure for hair loss is through the use of herbal remedies. A special Ayurvedic preparation which is prepared from Bhringraj (Eclipta elba), Amla, brahmi, and black sesame seeds in an iron skillet is especially useful for hairfall. It also prevents premature graying of hair, so try this .:thumbsup

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  5. LittleRed

LittleRed New IL'ite

You mean when I shampooing my hair?

And sweetoo, thanks for your response. I've been looking into this and I think the reason for this is that hair is lacking protein. I'm working on it. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  6. sweetoo

sweetoo Silver IL'ite

You're welcome..:cheers

7. aarta

aarta Silver IL'ite

HiYA

I really admire you sweetoo:cheers:cheers.
    :my2cents Amazing thread, liked your through knowledge .
    kindly tell me what can be done to increase the volume of hair and to avoid the split ends:drowning

Where can i get the indigo leaves??

Warm regards
    Aarta:)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. abinayaaa

abinayaaa Senior IL'ite

Hai Littlered,
    Yes. When you rinse your hair after shampoo through shower, it may trigger your hair fall because of various reasons like infection(somehow we keep the shower clean, but some doctors say that there will be some some contamination of water which causes infection) on the shower head.
    Abinayaaa.

9. sweetoo

sweetoo Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the compliment dear..:)

Split ends are often the result of dry & damaged hair…to prevent this & to grow hair thicker, avoid using commercial shampoos, harsh chemicals in them will make ur hair even more rough, dry & brittle ..
    for better results use herbal shampoos , a mixture of amla, shikakai & reetha boiled together in water make a good cleanser, alternatively u can also use fenugreek seeds paste to clean your hair, u can even use these natural cleansers daily. Read this information for more clarification :

Always give pre-wash oiling & post wash conditioning to your hair.

Use ayurvedic herbal hair packs twice or thrice a week , mentioned in this thread , to grow hair thicker & to avoid split ends …

For instant volume & conditioning, use amla pack,it is an excellent hair volumizer & conditioner .

Mix amla powder with hot water /coconut milk. Let it cool.
    -Apply the paste by sections starting from the back and moving forward.
    -Wrap your hair and allow to sit for 30 minutes or so.
    -Rinse or wash paste out.
    Do this for a month, and you will be amazed by the change in your hair texture & volume .:thumbsup

For indigo leaves in India, i think u may ask for them in ayurvedic stores.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  10. Chinju

Chinju Senior IL'ite

Dear Seetu,
    Thanks a lot for such an useful information. Will surely try all your tips.

Thanks,