Paper Wastage

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cutestgirl, Jun 21, 2010.

Do you agree with me on saving our natural resources ?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. If yes, how do I contact you ?

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. If no, why do you think it's not a good idea ?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cutestgirl

cutestgirl New IL'ite

:idea
    Hi Ladies
    I am deeply hurt by the way we waste paper. Do you remember when we were young, we have never seen new textbooks ? We always buy at @ 25% cost from our seniors and sell our old books to our juniors at the same 25%? Why aren't we allowed to do that these days ? Why are schools insisting on only new textbooks ? Schools are making huge money out of this.

Please think ladies - a matriculation school in Chennai charges 1700/- for text books and notebooks for Std II. I manually checked the price and the cost of textbook is 768/- and notebook at retail price (on the higher side) is 280/-. So what are they doing with the balance 650/- ? When I checked with the school authorities, I was told that they supply exam answer papers. For Std II, how much papers will be required for exams ?

Can we all join hands and insist in buying only second-hand textbooks for our child / children next year ? A huge gang joining will definitely have an impact.

Also please think about the cutting of trees, deforestation for manufacturing paper. If we have to save our own money and our natural resource, please join me. Let's make a huge success in saving paper.

2. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Deforestation / indiscriminate felling of trees is one of the major causes of global warming which should be checked / prevented.
    People should be encouraged to use recycled materials as it helps in the conservation of our resources to some extent.

Plant more trees and help in the conservation of our resources and thus save our environment

3. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi cutest, the topic is good. But deforestation is not only caused by felling trees for papers, but also due to development - lack of space, increasing population is also a factor. How many parents make their children realise this, when they tear good, fresh crisp papers from their notebook for playing? How many of us insist for e-bills? conservation has to happen not only for saving our pockets, but also for the planet that we live in - the planet that we are going to give to our successors.

Another issue is "Donation". The word Donation has also lost its meaning. It is now forcefully taken from the parents for providing education to children. The fund is not used to give education to the needy, but for developing their own infrastructure but hygiene in wash rooms meant for children are never cared for.

Shoe and socks : is it very much required in a country like India, where the climate is hot and humid. During rainy season too, when the shoes get wet, children stay for hours in school with the wet socks. What would be the impact on their health and hygiene.

Why a separate dress like white n white, house colour so on. They don't help any way in educating a child. State run schools are also there. So many children pass out with flying colours. Then why so many demands from private institutions. They are only trying to maintain their status in the society and not much into care for the children.

Entrance test are conducted not to know the capacity of the child and help in educating it, but for selecting only the bright students to add to the winner list. Whereas the real success of a school lies in educating even the dull student atleast to shine in their life.

As you said, yes people should join their hands to bring in a revolution.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. cutestgirl

cutestgirl New IL'ite

I fully agree with Mira. Can we join hands and protest next year in buying only second-hand books ? I am going to talk to the principal of each school in and near nanganallur (that's where I reside) in chennai and take their permission for conducting an Old Book Fair mela. If you are interested in joining me, please write to me.
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  5. flyingfancy

flyingfancy New IL'ite

hai cutestgirl, i also agree with mira. i also want to join hands with u all fo saving our money and our mother earth from wastage of paper.i will surely tell my other friends to join hands with us.

6. cutestgirl

cutestgirl New IL'ite

those of you who would like to join me, may please contact me through private messages.
    Look forward to hearing from you at the earliest.
    Best Regards

Admin Note: You can exchange contact information only through private messages. Private message subscription is just $10/year. Each private message subscription comes with a free gift subscription, which you can give to the other person and you both can contact each other instantly. More Details.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  7. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi friends,

very nice thread. if i were in India i would have definetely joined hands with u all. some kind of awareness should begin in people 's mind. i wish for your success in your task. all the best .

keep updating this thread after your meet with the principals of the schools. all the best.

8. hmpg

hmpg New IL'ite

correct. Paper recycling is always a best idea which will protect forests from being used for paper production.