1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Buying sarees online

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by shubhavasudevan, May 17, 2010.

1. CynthiaH

CynthiaH New IL'ite

Dear Shubha,
    Hope this reply gets through - just typed one, and got disconnected! Anyway, thank you for your kind words. One of my major questions is when to wear what kind of saree. My ideas were formed in the 1960s-70s (yes, I am mature!) when it was easy to decide: day wear was cotton, synthetic, printed silk, or plain/shot silk with little or no zari; formal was Banarasi silk, plain/shot, with zari borders, pallav and butis, or chiffon with beads, sequins and embroidery. Today I'm a bit isolated from Indian people (apart from a few who wear Western clothes, unfortunately), and there seems to be a lot of glitter, sequins etc around - I love it, but am not sure when it's appropriate. By the way, I don't mind looking a BIT unusual, and don't dress very casually outside the house. I like cottons and synthetics, but also LOVE silk (though don't wear it all the time, of course!).
    So I would be very grateful if you could give me your opinion on when to wear these: Orissa silks (no zari); synthetics with sequins flowers (not all over); Gadwal sarees (wide zari borders); a not very expensive Kanchi silk (about US$100) with a very narrow band of zari; and a saree which I think could be himroo (it was given to me many years ago - light blue and soft purple in a reversible all-over pattern). There are also now art silk sarees from about US$20 that look quite formal - when are they worn?
    I do have other questions, but this is already LONG. I'd be really grateful to hear from you. (This is the first time I've joined a group like this, and I think it's great.)
    Thanks and best wishes,
    Cynthia

2. sarahnd

sarahnd New IL'ite

Hi there Cynthia,

I am too in Australia. I am Australian and my husband is from Sri Lanka. I love to wear saree's to functions instead of evening dresses. I think they are so much more elegant.

I have never bought a saree online before but need on for a dinner dance next month. I like a few sarees on sareeworld.com. Have you purchased from this site before? I have been reading reviews online for sareeworld.com and Utsaav Sarees and they have all mostly been negative!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sarah

3. nikita83

nikita83 New IL'ite

Also check Oyegirl. I recently got one from them and the delivery was very quick.
    Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
  4. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

Sarah-
    I am in the US and have ordered from Utsav several times, with no real problems. Both saree and suits. The only problems I have had were a kameez that the liner fabric shrunk less that the outer, and two that I had asked to have lined weren't. When informed, Utsav remade the kameez that shrank funny and sent undershirt (?) for the two unlined kameez. So far, I have received 15 suits and 30 saree from them in four years, with just these three issues.
    DMI-India, however, is one I'd stay away from. I have only ordered from them once, and did finally receive the three suits I ordered (unlike Shreeonline, which never sent my order-thank heaven for the CC dispute process). Unfortunately, not a single one fit-and not a single one was made to the same measurements, either. Resolution-nil. Sent them back registered post, and was told they were never received (though they were signed for at the address). Again, thank heaven for CC dispute process.

geevee68 likes this.
  5. sandhyaprasad

sandhyaprasad New IL'ite

hi,

I have ordered more than 12 saris n dresses fromn last one and half yr. Given measuments are perfect and we will get cheaper than othersites...

6. luckybychance

luckybychance Senior IL'ite

I would suggest not to buy from online sites ....i have seen the difference. They r charging way too much for a Saree.
    I was able to get the same for a 40% less cost from individual sellers.
    Gud luck for all those who wanted to buy online.

7. pari11

pari11 Junior IL'ite

I think buy sarees online is good idea because I do online shopping of saree, watche and jewellery. There are so many online store provide huge discount with best support. I read one article about how online store are able to provide huge discounts on saree because they are directly linked with manufacturers.

Recently I buy sarees online for family function. All sarees are perfect as I see on website.

geevee68 likes this.
  8. Nancymason

Nancymason New IL'ite

Hi. I'm looking for fully printed black and white striped sarees. Like zebra crossing. Can anyone help me out in choosing retailer

Thanks
    Bhanupriya

9. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

Nice information.

But I'm from india I don't wear sarees daily only for occasion.

I like designer wear saree's. I like saree's with heavy border.

10. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Voonik and utsav. i am purchasing salwar and sarees from voonik. they r good.

andal