1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How to reduce swelling in the legs.

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by Gnanambika, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Gnanambika

Gnanambika New IL'ite

Hi friends,

During the month Jan every year I GET SWELLING in the left leg and my body also bloats.when I consult a Physician he gives me medicine for the water to be reduced from my body.Until I use this tablets I feel fine , but once I stop the medicine I again have the same problem for the past ten years.Please let me know if there is any ayurvedic medicine to solve this problem as I am a working women and I feel difficult to sit long hours in the office.

thanking you,
    gnanambika

2. babu

babu Silver IL'ite

Tab - Shellaki
    Action
    A natural and safe herb for optimum joint health. It gently cares for joints.

Dosage*
    1 capsule twice a day after meals.

produt : Himalaya healthcare.

course : 2 months

oil
    ==
    Vathamarthanam Kuzhampu [Kottackal Aryavydyasala]

take 2-3 teaspoon heat gently and apply in both legs 1 hour before bed time. Press both legs with cotton dipped in hot water.

Don'ts

1) Avoid food recipes causing constipation.

2) Avoid rice, pulses, sour things including and fried things

3) Avoid exposure to cold, wind or rain.

4) Avoid taking bath with cold water, consumption of ice-cold water.

5) Avoid going to bed immediately after meals.

6) Avoid daytime sleeping, non-vegetarian food recipes.

7) Avoid spending sleepless nights and suppression of natural urges

babu

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  3. HouseIndia

HouseIndia New IL'ite

U can try hot footbath at night,by taking tolerable hot water in bucket
    adding handful of salt keep legs dipped in it till knees for 10 -to 15 minutes,clean it with towel soaked in cold water than sleep,legs covered.
    throw water in drain or toilet as it contains lot of negativity,wash bucket.

4. Raji01

Raji01 Bronze IL'ite

hai,
    I had this problem during pregnancy. barley water helps .try it, but don't add salt. reduce intake of salt.

5. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Gnanambika,

Swelling of legs can be caused by any number of reasons from excessive water retention to water being mobilised to the dependent parts etc. The best things to include in diet to reduce swellings are tender cocnut water, barley, raddish, soraikai r bottle gourd, white pumpkin, cucumber , cucumber seeds n snake gourd. It also helps to take hot water bath for legs n also putting ur feet higher than ur body during sleep is a better way to avoid it. But if u r over 60 n has bp, r any cardiac illness history in family, kidney disease history in family its better to consult ur physician right away.

Regards,
    CC

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have swelling problems after long flights and then have trouble getting rid of it. Your office job is probably part of the problem but you should watch your salt intake closely and get your legs up as much as possible. Charuchittra has given many useful tips.

You asked if ayurveda would be helpful and for me, that was the only thing that helped me in my last bout. The combo of massage and medicine was very very helpful. Also the vaidya put on a salve and wrapped my ankles in a very tight bandage. After quite significant swelling, I was 90-95% in about four days.

7. BharathiRajesh

BharathiRajesh New IL'ite

Hi friends,

Is there any general medicine in ayur veda or herbal for head ache ,neck pain due to stain in eyes with computers.

Regards,

Bharathi.R

8. essentialoils

essentialoils New IL'ite

Step 1

Take diuretics only as prescribed by your doctor. Diuretics are also known as "water pills" and help reduce the fluid retention that may cause swelling in your legs.

Step 2

Avoid eating salty foods like salty snacks; excessive salt helps your body retain fluid and will make edema worse.

Step 3

Elevate your legs frequently; when you elevate your legs it is easier for your heart to circulate and ease the fluid build up in your legs. Your legs should be at least at the same level as your hips while sitting; in severe cases it may be necessary to elevate your legs higher than the level of your hips.

Step 4

Remove tight shoes and stockings, especially tight stockings that stop just below the knee. They will cut off your circulation and cause even more edema in your legs. Stockings that stop at the ankle can also impair circulation. Remove your shoes or at least loosen shoelaces or closures.

Step 5

Wear loose fitting clothing from the waist down; avoid tight underwear and tight fitting slacks, which will impede circulation to your lower body and cause your legs to swell.

Step 6

Move your lower legs and joints; raise and lower your legs, bend your knees and move your ankle joints in a circular motion. Movement will help the blood start flowing again and reduce the edema in your legs.

Step 7

Drink more water, unless directed by your doctor not to drink more. Believe it or not, increasing your fluid intake helps push the fluid out of cells and puts it back into the bloodstream, creating increased circulation and less edema.

9. anne12

anne12 New IL'ite

Hello Friends........

1. Take diuretics only as prescribed by your doctor. Diuretics are also known as "water pills" and help reduce the fluid retention that may cause swelling in your legs.
    2. Avoid eating salty foods like salty snacks; excessive salt helps your body retain fluid and will make edema worse.
    3. Elevate your legs frequently; when you elevate your legs it is easier for your heart to circulate and ease the fluid build up in your legs. Your legs should be at least at the same level as your hips while sitting; in severe cases it may be necessary to elevate your legs higher than the level of your hips.
    4. Remove tight shoes and stockings, especially tight stockings that stop just below the knee. They will cut off your circulation and cause even more edema in your legs. Stockings that stop at the ankle can also impair circulation. Remove your shoes or at least loosen shoelaces or closures.
    Thanks

10. montyphill

montyphill New IL'ite

There are various reasons for swelling of legs. One of the reason for swelling legs can be the footwear we are wearing. And to get rid of that place your leg in a proper position then apply some oil on it and then rub it in and up and down movement for 10 minutes, everything will be fine.