Indian community in Houston

Discussion in 'Indians in Houston' started by priti2106, Mar 24, 2008.

1. madhulika77

madhulika77 New IL'ite

Hai ranjani,
    No kids yet..2 kids to you...must be fully occupied with them..

2. CharitraShetty

CharitraShetty New IL'ite

Hey Ladies.....
    My husband and I also stay in Houston... we stay in the SW part close to bellaire....wud like to move to an apartment complex which has good Indian population....the one where we stay is majorly populated by mexicans.....any help on this one....

Charitra

3. indianamerican

indianamerican New IL'ite

Charita:

I heard on the Indian radio station (1460 am) that the apartments behind Carmax near hillcroft they speak many different indian languages so I presume there will be a lot of Indians there.

There is also Tradewinds apartments on Wilcrest drive across from Savoy Shopping center, that has a lot of Indians I believe.

Basically, the majority concentration of Indians in Houston is in South West Houston (Alief) and Sugar Land. Historically, many Indians settled in Alief due to the lower cost housing - since then however the area has changed demographically - for the worse - and the Indians that could move did - to Sugar Land. I grew up in Sugar Land and have seen a population explosion of South Asians there.

There is of course a few Hindu temples, mosques and Jamath Khanna's (sp?) for Agha Khan followers.

If Sugar Land is not close to one needs to be my second choice would be:

Katy
    followed by
    Pearland

Sugar Land still has good schools, Katy overall has a edge from a "district" point of view, but on an individual basis, schools like Clements High School in Sugar Land are rated higher than any Katy High School. As far as number of Indians, They have 1 council member of Sugar Land is Indian, and the president of the school board is Indian (both are elected positions).

Each Diwali, Sugar Land Town square has a Diwali celebration, and Oyster Creek Park in Sugar Land apparently had 10,000 Holi partcipants.

Feel free for anyone to ask any questions to me I've lived in Houston for 29 years.... (I grew up here)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. devina_bantwal

devina_bantwal New IL'ite

hey charitra...have u found an apt to move into? and where do u want to move close to? i stay on eldridge and this road has many apts...some with many indians. we also have a small park close by...

5. devina_bantwal

hey indianamerican:hiya..m surprised to see a local(if i can call u that ie. :)) here..its usually new ppl looking for new friends or apts or info on houston. thanx a lot for the information. m sure u will be the best person to ask questions abt houston. do u know of any hobby classes conducted by indians?

6. luckbychance

luckbychance New IL'ite

hey devina

i was thinking the same regarding hobby classes when i came across this post of yours and so i started a thread regarding this...do check it out n get back to me asap...

tc

7. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

@Devina
    hi how are you?You did not reply in orkut for so long.
    what's up?:)

@luckybychance
    where are you staying right now?Did you check thread started by you
    "Anyone staying close to Eldridge parkway"
    I've been posting in that thread.pls check it once.I stay in west road and close to eldridge pkwy.I was thinking u might have stopped browsing indusladies site or not staying in houston.anyways gud to see u again.:)

8. devina_bantwal

hey surekha

sorry about the delay in my reply...i hardly check orkut nowadays. what are u upto these days?

9. apeksharao

apeksharao New IL'ite

Hi,My NAME is Apeksha.I am 25 years old and just got married 6 months back in India and moved to Houston.I stay near Washington street.I still haven't made any Indian friends. Looking fwd to making some good friends .

10. suganyasvn

suganyasvn New IL'ite

hi i am suganya from san antonio ...actually regarding my husbands project we need to shift to houston....and his off in houston is near memorial drive...i have 2 and half yr old kid...can anyone suggest an safer apartment with indians comm and schools nearby to this place ..plz frnds help me...we need shift within this month end...