1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need help to proceed

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ronica, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ronica

ronica New IL'ite

Hello IL’ites,
    I have posted couple posts earlier and thought I regained my self-respect and can handle the situation but I'm in a fix now not knowing what to do? Thought I would get some of your suggestions. Below is the link to my earlier posts.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/relationship-with-in-laws/100391-how-to-handle-sil-2.html

I’m a working mom of a toddler and married for 4 yrs. Within a month of shifting to our new home, DH’s cousin (Sister) and her husband joined us as both were out of job. I was not asked but was just told of their arrival. I felt bad for a moment but took it easy as I was always treated like that by DH and thought may be does not think about the necessity to ask me.

Though I was a little inconvenient looking after them I consoled that I’m helping out people in need. SIL’s DH got a job and after a month I felt like they had no plans of moving out and so asked my DH as to when they are moving out. Upon repeated asking, DH bluntly responded as to why I was thinking like they will be moving out soon and added upon asking that he told them not to move until SIL gets a job too. I was quite surprised as to how my DH can make promises like that without even thinking of me. I had a toddler who was completely out of discipline with them around and added SIL was too much intruding into my personal life. I told my DH that it’s hard for me to adjust with a family for long time and added with so much work. He gave me examples of families who lived for years together. He is from such a background too. He knew that I came from a nuclear family and that my parents and immediate siblings are more important to me. But I never differentiated his immediate and cousins nor did I ill-treat them any time. I just vented out my feelings as how we lack the privacy, kids discipline and work. I even added that may be people in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> expect such long visits but being getting married to a guy in US I couldn’t handle people so long and that it’s affecting the quality of my work at office. DH gave me his thoughts about my feelings that 1. I’m being selfish: I took care of them for 2 months without saying a word and we always have visitors from his side either family or friends and I never complained anything but happily let people take me for granted and made big meals. 2. Our family doesn’t have values like his: True that either my mom’s or dad’s relatives never expressed love on one another by having get- together’s every month or live in the same city like his but we always were there morally or monetarily for others. I was offended and told him that it hurt my feelings. DH then told me his ideas below as to how we can work on the situation as below

• He told me to ask her for household help: which I felt wrong because I feel people should feel responsible and help by their own which in my case is not done so took his word and started asking her for help. SIL cleverly started showing her attitude, when DH is around she is very sweet to me and pretends helping me but nowhere of my sight when DH is not home. Thought of telling DH but felt that may be I’ll pass it this time and also wondered if he believes me.

• In regards to Kids discipline and lack of privacy: he told us that we will have to understand and adjust

I could not agree with him on forcing my toddler understand the situation and asked him how long would this continue to which he said may be SIL will find a job in 2 months if not they will feel guilty and leave.

I kept quiet for 1 and half months just for his sake and then realized that SIL’s fly showed no intention of moving out. This SIL and her DH were actually supposed to join another cousin in MI but that cousin’s wife taunted them with words in the first week that they left their place immediately and came to us. But SIL kept very good relations with her after moving to our place (not sure of the reason) to the point that SIL helped my co-sister to decide to let their older daughter (10 grade) take a course in a school that is 30 miles closer to my home. Both SIL and her husband told me couple days earlier about my co-sisters idea and how they assured her. This triggered my patience as they themselves as guests were burden on me and how come they assure another lady without my knowledge though it was just a small girl. Neither did my DH or Co-sister acknowledge me of this fact but yesterday evening SIL told me the date of this girl’s arrival.

I was quiet all day and when asked by DH, I told him that I reached threshold and even slightest things make me feel upset. DH kept asking me the reasons for the trigger and I may be wrong but rather telling the reason asked him when SIL’s will be moving out. This time to my utter surprise he shouted at me as why I was thinking of their moving out and that he told me that they are here for a purpose until SIL gets a job. So it doesn’t matter how long but its just the purpose I will have to look at. DH even told that I’m making an issue. I confronted DH about those 2 months and them feeling guilt to which he told that he must have told that accidentally and he did not mean it.

SIL joined her DH from <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> with no experience here and added it’s not that easy to get a job sometimes. I reached the threshold of my patience and my DH trying to just pass this by controlling me and forcing me to negotiate with SIL for every thing leaves me miserable. I feel depressed as to things going on and was told by DH not to show any of my sad expressions to his SIL’s fly at my place. I’m out of words to talk about DH. I told DH to tell SIL’s family softly to start their life as her getting job is unpredictable to which he told bluntly that he will not tell her and the only solution to my problem is that we will have to separate. I was shattered on hearing that but as my self-respect went down in the past months I told yes abruptly and stopped conversing.

Today morning, DH called me and asked me what my problem is with them around and told that he would negotiate with her. I felt so non-sense. Why should DH mediate everything between us in assigning work and asking her whatever I told DH? When she showed her attitude to me I’m so sure that she will be manipulative too. BTW is it necessary to carry this unnecessary tension bn both of us just because of them.

DH even added that he never said a word with my parents around here. Which is true as my parents came here to help me during the delivery and kid & everybody knows how humble girl’s parents are before their daughter’s husband. I told DH that I was like that before his parents too and even with his cousin I never ill-treated them but just vented out my feelings to DH. He considers her to be his family and told me that I should be self-less and think them as my family to solve this situation.

Everything will be solved and peaceful if I let them stay here how ever long they will. But to succumb to his words is like leaving my self-respect and peace of mind at the same. Now the situation is either I have to succumb or give up and leave the home.

When I think of self-respect I feel like leaving immediately but thinking of the issue, it’s just so easy to understand and I feel annoyed by the thought that DH is not able to understand.

Please give me some thoughts as to how I can proceed.

2. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

At his point I would suggest have a lay back attitude in serving the people at home.I know the difference between what women feel and what men feel here.
    Since your husband didn't have any responsability to server guests at home and he is not pressured with cooking and cleaning.
    So you act nice with your SIL before your husband and give her back when he is not around and also you have your own play dates with other moms and leave the house and don't cook and server atleast sometimes and let them take care.Just call nicely your SIL and tell that you will be late to home and made ready something .
    Do something for sometime and see how things move or you ask your husband to make something ready.
    I have guest at my house and my husband didn't feel anything.Even I have to give water to him and my husband happily would enjoy his company.That I have to go India and it become my husband responsability and he would complain that the guest was finish all the food he cooked and not helping anything.That time he got annyoned and he didn't udnerstand anything as long as I did.
    So give him his own taste and ask him to cook somedays and say you are tired or tell something othere and don't worry much about home and responsabilites .Period.

3. priyaluvsbaby

priyaluvsbaby New IL'ite

ooohhhh...this is a tricky situation for you ..hanh..
    ok..this is what I will do in your place....I am not clear if you are working or not...I think you are working right??? okay..so yours should be a 9-5 job so..am assuming that you are doing the cooking and cleaning and getting no help from anyone at home....I can relate to how much stressed you will feel..One day just tell your SIL to cook !! just ask her to cook...what is wrong in that..They are living with you at the moment and they should be helping you in something..

Dont give much weightage to any of the interference she does in your life....The worst punishment for these kind of people is just ignoring them...

If she is good it would be so nice for you to have a company at home...I have my in-laws at home here in US for 6 months...I am enjoying their company...My FIL is the best !! he helps me a lot ...really..he is not the usual FIL expecting royal treatment from DIl...He is a down to earth person..I really thank god for that !!

Sorry for deviating:bonk
    So,dont let this issue eat your mind.Just dont care about them..They can feel that you are not bothered by them and might feel little before you..

Fighting with DH on this is only going to cause trouble in ur marriage..Just let it go and when you get to work for them just admit that you are very sick and you cant move a finger :biglaughSo let them do anything they want...
    I am sure they will feel bad and leave soon :cheers
    Try this and let us know what happens...I cant stress this more " Do not stress yourself or DH because of them..it is simply not worth it"

4. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Why don't you also come up with some tricks? Be nice to your SIL in front of ur dh....and go about just your work at home. Dont pile up household work on your head. If questioned, say your are sick, or forgot...

Don't cook for a day and see what she does.

5. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Difficult situation..Neither you or your DH is at fault, your DH sister and her husband need to understand, inorder to save money or whatever they are staying at your place, now if her dh got the job , why cannot they move out.. They need to understand that it is not right, it is understandable if none have a job, in that case also one has to have a timeline, for 3 months we will take help and if we dont find anything then either go back to India or do some thing else.

It is surprising how some people without having any experience land up in US and want to start working the next day even in the most troubling economy....

So even your DH is in tight spot, he may feel his relations will spoil with his sister if he gives a hint that you are not feeling comfortable and wants them to move out. He may also feel you are trying to divide them...If his sister feels that it is because of you he wants them to find alternative place, she may even bad mouth you to others that is your DH parents and all and everyone will turn against you...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  6. Cool1

Cool1 New IL'ite

Guest is a guest for 3-4 days..After that they become a part of your family.So treat them as one.No point fighting with your DH. Ask your SIL to cut vegetables before you come back home from work.Then tell her if she could cook the curry since you would like to spend some time with your kid,or its been long day for you or you are having headache or anything. If she makes excuses call up her husband and ask him to get food from outside since you are not well and your DH might be late. For the house clean your room and ask your SIL to clean the remaining areas. You can always smile and say that she can take as much time as she wants since she is at home.In the beginning she may not do it properly but you need to show some patience there. Do such kind of small drama and see what happens.Either she will go away or learn to help around.In either case its favourable for you.

Also tell your DH that ur SIL will have to take care of the little girl coming since she was the one who convinced her parents. Moreover, its very crucial task to take care of a small child.

Do these things and see what happens. Fighting and arguing with DH is of no use. Stop trying to make your guests happy.Just be yourself. And learn to enjoy in your own way...

They will move out. Let your DH understand this on his own:)

7. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Divide work and let SIL do the cooking , cleaning since she is at home.
    No point in fighting with DH as he cannot throw his sis and DH out.
    If you fight with DH and sis knows that you are being scolded then you will lose your power in your own house.
    Do some rajneeti and make SIL do work as long as she stays. Soon your DH will realise that he is being taken for a ride .
    If you point out then DH will make it an ego issue. Say did they ask you (dh) before calling the girl ?
    Make him the decision maker and act innocent. Play safe and emerge winner.
    Try to get a job for SIL.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  8. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

Hi
    If your SIL is manipulative , you also should be like that. Also staying in someone else's house for more than 15 days . it is too much.

Why don't you try talking to your SIL to leave the place.. If this does not work try to be smart like your SIS in law and be nice to her in front of your husband and be rude when he is not around.. also tell her directly in no uncertain terms that she has to help you in hosehold work and there is no escaping.. If she cannot do she better leave.

Letting your parents(either side) stay and letting your cousin SIS in law stay is two different things.. how can your husband comparee both the situations.
    Also don't ever forget that you both are provider of the house and not he alone since you are also working and have every say in the decision making.