Thirumullaivasal

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gem, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Gem

Gem New IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I am doing a research on a village in India -Thirumullaivasal in Nagapatinam, Tamil Nadu. I have scoured the internet but to no avail. Only my eyes have popped out. Will apreciate if anyone gives me more details about Thirumullaivasal or sources where I can get the details.

I only know that it is a fishing village and has a Sivan temple. I need to know about the population, prominent families, temples, road system, economic actvities and so on.
    Help!

Thank you.

Gem

Similar Threads
    1. Gem
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

3. Gem

Gem New IL'ite

Dear Rajmi Arun,
    Thank you very much for the information.

However, the Thirumullaivayil that you have mentioned is not the one I am looking for. Because this Thirumullaivayil is near Chennai (out skirts of Chennai). But the one I am looking for is the Thirumullaivayil/Thirumullaivasal near Sirgazhi in Nagapatinam. The two places seem far away from one another.

But thank you. I learnt a lot about the Sivan temples especially Lord Masilamaneeswarar temple – very impressive. Very touched also by those articles which also describes part of our ancient history.

:thankyou2: again.

Is there anyone who knows about the Thirumullaivasal near Sirgazhi in Nagapatinam?

Gem

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

5. Gem

Gem New IL'ite

Dear Shanti,
    Thank you for the information. They were helpful especially the Village Information Centre.

From there I went to other relevant websites which helped me gather more info.

I even found a website which gave an aerial map of Thirumullaivasal - with the location of the temples and houses, schools, post office - that was really fantastic.:2thumbsup:

Thank you so much Shanti. Thanks to Rajmi and others who have helped me.:thankyou2:

(I hope to visit Thirumullaivasal in person one day.)

Warmest regards,
    Gem

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi gem

you are welcome....all the best for your project.....:2thumbsup:

7. nizamudeen80

nizamudeen80 New IL'ite

:) hi gem how are u im nizamudeen from thirumullaivasal villag i saw ur expectation about thirumullaivasal village research .im basically from thirumullai vasal village. still im staying in the that same village from my bornhood.if u have any dout or anything about thirumullaivasal village please contact me at nizamudeen_80@yahoo.com.sg.i wish you for further research about thirumullai vasal village.thank you for interesting in research about thirumullaivasal village.
    thanking you
    NIZAMUDEEN>Thirumullaivasal village

Hello everyone,

I am doing a research on a village in India -Thirumullaivasal in Nagapatinam, Tamil Nadu. I have scoured the internet but to no avail. Only my eyes have popped out. Will apreciate if anyone gives me more details about Thirumullaivasal or sources where I can get the details.

I only know that it is a fishing village and has a Sivan temple. I need to know about the population, prominent families, temples, road system, economic actvities and so on.
    Help!

Thank you.

Gem[/quote]

8. nizamudeen80

nizamudeen80 New IL'ite

hi shanvy thank you for your reply about my village. thnking you to know about my village.and also thnks to give informatoin about thirumullaivasal.

you are welcome....all the best for your project.....:2thumbsup:[/quote]

9. Tamij

Tamij New IL'ite

Hello Gem
    Vanakam.
    My name is Tamij (in French) or Tamil or Tamizh as it is for the language and I live in France now. I have just joined this group today to day. I came to know about it because while my husband I were searching in the google today for statelite pictures to locate Thirmullaivasal and other villages/towns he lived during his childhood. Indeed he spent two years while he was ten to twelve years old and he has fond memories. Often he spoke about this village and you should see the glow in his face.
    You are right it was and still is an important fishing village, similar to the one the Tamil film 'PADAGOTTI".

It is on the seashore where a small branch of Kaveri( I suppose ) enter with some backwater. An ancient Shiva temple with an unique Jasmin plant/tree now extinct. When you pinched it a pink juice oozed out. A story of a king ( similar to Pari vaLLal) was once on a hunting mission and his horse got entangled with some wild creepers. To get rid of it, the king cut it with his sword and he saw as if blood was coming out of the stems of the plant, a wild jasmin. The king cleared further the bush only to find a "Shiva Lingam" out there. Very pious and devotee of Siva, the king later buillt a Temple in the same place. It is found at the entrance of this village and hence the Thirumullaivasal meaning Gateway of sacred jasmine. Thats about the temple.

This village is surrounded by a small forest with thick rare vegetation. Hearing from my husband he really lived in tune with the nature there almost living like Mowgly of the Jungle books of Rudyard Kipling. I don't want go into a lot of details because it will take several pages. He said the picked and ate several berries and wild rare fruits like Paalapalam ( not jack fruits, hunded wild animals, and collected wood for cooking, etc etc.

Thirumullaivasal being not far from Kaveripoompattinam or Poompuhar, the erstwhile famous port of ancient Chola kingdom and the abode of Kovalan, Kannagi and Madhavi whose tragic story was narrated by Poet Ilangoadigal in Dramatic novel in poetic version called Silapathigaram ( translated into English by Alain Danielou in the name of "Story of the anklet). Silapathikaram is the first litterary work as novel in the world. Every year the fishermen community celebrated this story by staging a quality dance-drama by actos unlike the therukoothu of other parts of Tamilnadu.

Most of these information that I have given here are extracted from my husband. We can provide more information later. I myself visited this village for the first time in Feb 2005 a few weeks later the the Tsunami struck verybadly this village. We collected funds from our friends and from donors from all over France as a result of several appearances of my husband on the French televison. We sent money to these suffering fishermen within 48 hours by western union.

it was amazing to hear my husband speak to these people his two years of childhood experience in this village. My husband's brother who is a paediatrician immunised all the village children and my two small children gave away sweets to these kids. It was a loving memeory to all of us.

Well I must stop now otherwise I may go on. I am sure in the past year you would have gathered more information about this village. Please share them with us.
    So long
    Anbudan
    Tamij