1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

What did you think of "Rajneeti"?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by raginisharma, Jul 12, 2010.

1. raginisharma

raginisharma Senior IL'ite

How many of you have watched Rajneeti? I caught it in the second week of June and had mixed feelings about it!!
    What disappointed me firstly was the lack of originality in the story. We expect something more original from a director like Prakash Jha, do we not?
    Analogies can be drawn with Rajneeti’s plot from several sources. The most prominent analogy was the equation of the mother coming to plead with her once-abandoned-illicit child which is bound to remind every viewer of Mahabharat.

The younger son getting involved in the political tradition of the family without prior intentions also reminds us of the younger Gandhi brother who had to join politics after the untimely death of his elder brother.

2. sweety17

sweety17 Gold IL'ite

yea me too had the same feelings whn i watched it............didnt like it much though.....very predictable...

and the worst part was Katrina Kaif and her hindi.........awful :rantdunno y she has started to dub for herself whn she cant get any pronunciations correct :biglaugh

3. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Ragini..

I do not quite understand what you mean. Do directors always need to work with original stories and plots? Are Ashutosh Gowarikar and Sanjay Leela Bhansali not great directors? If one can make a film of the popular historical stories of Akbar, and the other can make a film of the popular Sharatchandra novel Devdas, why can Prakash Jha not make a film, which have similarities with certain parts of Mahabharat?

Sweety,

I think Katrina has done a brilliant job with her acting in Rajneeti – I am not the only one, many of my friends also think the same. She has improved her Hindi greatly. I think we must praise the girl’s efforts.

4. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

First of all, let me say that my feelings on seeing Rajneeti were similar to those of Ragini and Sweety.

Dear Amrita,
    Lets not confuse things! When SL Bhansali made a film on Saratchandra’s novel, the title “Devdas” announced that it was “Devdas”- when A Gowarikar made a film on Akbar, the title “Jodha Akbar” announced that it was a film on Akbar and his wife – similar things can be said about the Mangal Pandey, Subhash Bose and Bhagat Singh movies. Rang de Basanti was original despite its references to Bhagat Singh and his allies, as the story proclaimed that it was about making a film about those national heroes.

But, when we enter the theater to watch a film named “Rajneeti”, and start finding Karna and Kunti amidst modern day leaders and politicians, we ARE disappointed!

5. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

I was so disappointed!!! It was all wrong.At times it looks like epic and at times too modern.The director is fully confused!!

Katrina..i am not sure how she is getting so many roles.She is one of the worst actress per me.

6. jasminderkaur

jasminderkaur Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

Frankly I think Prakash Jha picked up the Mahabharat, and decided to combine it with "The Goadfather" He could not make annother mob movie, since that slot has already been picked up by " sarkar" so he went political.

Some of the scenes were so reminiscent of Godfather, it was unbelievable. Like the scene when Ranbir Kapoor talk to the guy who spills beans on his cousin, Nana patekar closes the door on his girlfriend trying to look in.

Overall the movie was an entertainer, even though it dragged towards the end. Could have been better edited and shorter in the end. But i do think every body did a great job, but yes we could have done without so many love scenes.

7. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

This was a remake of a telugu movie LEADER. I liked it in telugu better than in Hindi

8. sweety17

sweety17 Gold IL'ite

Amrita,

well that was a personal opinion...i just dont find Katrina Kaif forget versatile actress as an actress even....

she CANNOT do a Chameli , Meghna Mathur in Fashion or Geet in JWM...she is fit only for the NRI roles like in Namestey London and others she has done so far....only coz she has the looks....yes i agree she looks good but sorry her acting is awful!!

:biglaugh And can you beileve she wants a National Award for this movie :rotfl

9. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

I enjoyed reading these posts and liked the discussion. Well for me, Rajneeti was a "good" film. It was nothing extraordinary, but it was good.

I loved the performances of Ajay Devgan, Manoj Bajpeyi, Arjun Rampal, Ranbir Kapoor and of course Om Puri. I agree to what Sweety says about Katrina, but I think I have kind of gotten used to her acting and dialog delivery. It no longer seems unbearable to me:rotfl

I thought the director did quite a good job throughout the film. Yes, the lack of originality did disappoint me in patches- but I think the director has kept it within limits.

The song "Mora Piya Mosey Bolat Nahi.." is just beautiful-- I can go on listening to it again and again!

10. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Overall, I liked the movie. But it was a little long and could have been better edited. The best performances were Manoj Bajpai and ranbir. Arjun rampal was good too. Ajay was a dissapointment - had just one expression on his face for the entire movie. Katrina was ok, Naseeruddin shah had such a tiny role! Nana patekar was good as usual. Would recommend it - at least different from the run of the mill romances and inane comedies.