Solah Somwaar Vrat(16 wks of monday Fast)

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by amrita.sinha, Sep 13, 2008.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Bambli & Aabhi

Please proceed with the pooja as per the procedure you have started. I just have explained the procedure that I had followed as per the information I had.

Finally all ways lead to god. Have faith and god bless you!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

Hi if there is no mud shivling available ? can we buy one figurine of the shiling ?

Also, no eating till sunset, other than fruits, can we eat like bread since I easily get gastric problems ?

In Singapore, we cannot bring plates of offerings here..only can go to the South Indian temples and pay some money for Archanai...is that alright ?

3. SriVidya75

Mud shivling should be made at home. its not bought at store....I made it out of the potting soil we use for flower pots. I was told that we shouldnt have shivling (store bought ones) at home as it needs ddaily pooja and archanai and offerings...this mud shivling would be immersed in water at the end of the 16 weeks pooja..

Solah Somvar vrath 16 mondays fast...to do this fasting..main rule / principle is that we are not supposed to eat salt...so any food that you take that day shouldnt have salt in it...I avoided anything thats cooked...except for the prasad thats offered to god...i.e the wheatflour prasad..

As far as offerings are concerned, if in temples they take some flowers or fruits you can take those to offer to god and also perform archanai. and give some dakshina or donation to the priest or pandit who performed the pooja.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

hi there, so once you make the shivling, I mean I can make a dome shape with the soil but what to do after that,,and where should I keep it for the whole of the 16 weeks ?

Its tough in Singapore as we cant throw things here and there so how do I immerse it in the sea.. without the shivling ,does it mean that the pooja is halfed and not completed ?

5. SriVidya75

You can make a new shivling every monday and after pooja take a glass or vessel with water and immerse that shivling in that water and pour that water in the plants..

Or you can keep the same shivling all through 16weeks.and on 17th week you can immerse it in water

6. aarta

aarta Silver IL'ite

:hiya

But vidya i heard one must worship single shivalinga during the fast. i had follow this during my fast.I dont make mud shivalinga but since temple is very near to my place i used to go and worship there.

Take care
    Aarta

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  7. SriVidya75

I have seen people following different ways. I have made one shivling with mud and performed pooja to the same for 16 weeks and 17th week after pooja I have immersed it in water. so its upto the person what suits them.

Also reg. pooja at temple, specially this pooja has to be done by us, i.e read the vrath katha and make the prasad and do the pooja with the required articles..So if doing pooja at home is not possible, then you can break your fast by visiting temple but the wheatflour prasad and reading/listening to the vrath katha are very imp. part of this pooja. or else it would become just like any other monday fasting.

Also reg. making mud shivling, i was told that if you have a shivling at home, we are supposed to offer atleast milk./fruits every day, so thats why might be some try to make shivling only on the day of pooja and immerse it in water immediately. (what ever suits you, you can follow that)

8. aarta

aarta Silver IL'ite

Dear vidya,

i wholeheartedly agree with you.
    one should worship single shivalinga during the 16 somvara fast
    Thanks for elaboration do tell me one thing when you prepare mud shivalinga do you offer milk/friuts everyday...:confused2:
    in case i offer milk to my shivalinga it should be raw/boiled?

Warm regards
    Aarta:)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  9. saras123

saras123 IL Hall of Fame

Dear SriVidya

Can you kindly send me the link in telugu for Solah Somavarum vrat?

Thanks in advance.

10. SriVidya75

Yes if the shivling is there in your house everyday you have to offer some prasad and do min.pooja.(this is what I was told)

I offered raw milk only as prasad and for pooja.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010