1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Diet for diabetes

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by kanaka Raghavan, Jun 11, 2010.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

The following vegetables can be taken by diabetic patients
    Kovakkai,Brinjal,Lady's finger,Bittergourd,Double beans,Broad beans,Pudina,Greens,Coriander leaves,String beans,Banana stem,Banana flower,Drumstick leaves.Avoid vegetables grown below the soil especially potato.
    Fruits which are high in fibre and less in sugar can be taken.Apple with skin,Guava,Pomegranate ,Jamun can be eaten.Apple with skin helps because it has a substance called green tea which reduces sugar level.
    Green tea without milk and sugar also helps.
    Instead of milk ,take buttermilk.
    Have drumstick leaf soup,or onion soup.
    Add jeera to drinking water ,it helps.You can even add methi.
    Twice a week take white rice,twice a week take samba rice,samba poha,Ragi adai,hand pounded rice,red rice,bajra etc,.,

Admin Note: Do also check other links related to diabetic diet

Diabetic Diet
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/3384-diet-for-diabetic-patients.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/158097-diet-dos-and-donts-diabetics.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/f...71270-natural-home-remedies-for-diabetes.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h.../152553-fruits-common-foods-avoid-border.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/155814-best-fruits-for-diabetes.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/krishnaammas-kitchen/20732-snacks-and-tiffens-for-diabetic.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013

2. Prasantha

Prasantha New IL'ite

Hi,

Those are very good suggestions. As a vegetarian and living in norway, we have a problem with getting vegetables here. So our diet tends to be very carb rich. Things have improved recently, but I still feel that our foods are hard to get.

A nutritionist told me that anything that takes a long time to cook, fiber rich such as brown rice, whole wheat atta, semi cooked vegetables with the crunch in them are good as the body has to work more to digest them. It also helps in improving digestion and weight loss. Spices, strangely are good as they also improve metabolism. Instead of large meals, small and five times a day is good. Even fruit, with the exception of banana are also recommanded as "snacks". A low fat diet and high carb diet is better than a high protein diet. Diabetics also are at risk of heart problems etc, and therefore should be careful with animal proteins. Additionally recent research says that a high carb diet is good for diabetics, but they should be complex carbs and not simple ones, like white bread, white rice etc.

Brown rice, whole wheat breads full of fiber, full fruits instead of juices, salads, boiled veggies are all good for you. Also one has to exercise moderately or at least until one sweats and a minimum of 30 min at a time. Walking is good too.

1 person likes this.
  3. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Thanks for ur valuable tips.

Also Diabetes patients should do exercise like normal persons. There are specific diabetic exercises which needs to be practised.These exercises does not involve more strain but helps in all other facts.

Above 40 years persons should go for a walk for 20 minutes and not even less or more than that. This was told to me in Diabetic meeting.

There are chappals specific to Diabetic patients, which provides enough air to their foot as all are designed with holes and soft nature. Diabetic patients should not wear Hawai chappals. Even small wound needs to be taken attention.

4. mythathi

mythathi New IL'ite

Dear All,
    My husband is a diabetic for the past 15 years.For the last two years he has completely stopped rice and switched over to chapathi in the afternoon and wheat upma in the night.He checks his blood sugar level every 3 months.Even though our doctor advises not to take rice he very much wishes to take atleast once a week.Is it ok?

5. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

It is ok. U can get low calorie rice or wheat rice if he wish to have rice a lot.

6. Atman

Atman New IL'ite

Cure for diabetics

Here is one Email received from My Friend....Atman

Woman (65) was diabetic for the last 20+ years and was taking insulin twice a day, she used the enclosed homemade medicine for a fortnight and now she is absolutely free of diabetes and taking all her food as normal including sweets ............ ......... ......

The doctors have advised her to stop insulin and any other blood sugar controlling drugs.

I request you all please circulate the email below to as many people as you can and let them take the maximum benefit from it.

AS RECEIVED :

DR. TONY ALMEIDA (Bombay Kidney Speciality expert ) made the extensive
    experiments with perseverance and patience and discovered a successful treatment for diabetes.

Now a days a lot of people, old men & women in particular suffer a lot due to Diabetes.

Ingredients:
    1 - Wheat flour 100 gm
    2 - Gum(of tree) (gondh) 100 gm
    3 - Barley 100 gm
    4 - Black Seeds (kalunji) 100 gm

Method of Preparation Put all the above ingredients in 5 cups of water.
    Boil it for 10 minutes and put off the fire. Allow it to cool down by itself.
    When it has become cold, filter out the seeds and preserve the water in a glass jug or bottle.

How to use it?
    Take one small cup of this water every day early morning when your stomach is empty.
    Continue this for 7 days. Next week
    repeat the same but on alternate days. With these 2 weeks of treatment you
    will wonder to see that you have become normal and can eat normal food without problem.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  7. Kaveri

Kaveri New IL'ite

I didn't get it... If you mix wheat flour in water it will become a thick paste. How can you filter out the water?

Could you reconfirm the recipe once more?

I would love to try it out. Must tell my MIL to get Gond from India.

Thanks,

8. sujakumar

sujakumar Senior IL'ite

aha aha this is the way to view life! hats off!

9. incharge

incharge Bronze IL'ite

nice attitude towqards life

10. ramyasrini8

ramyasrini8 Silver IL'ite

HI All,i receive mail 4m my friend & iam sharing with u....

Treatment for Sugar - Lady Finger
    Please note that another name for Lady Finger (Bhindi ) is " OKRA ".
    Last month in one of TV program I learnt of a treatment of Sugar
    (Diabetes). Since I am diabetic, I tried it and it was very useful and my
    Sugar is in control now. In fact I have already reduced my medicine.
    Take two pieces of Lady Finger (Bhindi) and remove/cut both ends of each
    piece. Also put a small cut in the middle and put these two pieces in
    glass of water. Cover the glass and keep it at room temperature during
    night. Early morning, before breakfast simply remove two pieces of lady
    finger (bhindi) from the glass and drink that water.
    Keep doing it on daily basis.
    Within two weeks, you will see remarkable results in reduction of your
    SUGAR.
    My sister has got rid of her diabetes. She was on Insulin for a few
    years, but after taking the lady fingers every morning for a few months,
    she has stopped Insulin but continues to take the lady fingers every
    day. But she chops the lady fingers into fine pieces in the night, adds
    the water and drinks it all up the next morning. Please. try it as it
    will not do you any harm even if it does not do much good to you, but U
    have to keep taking it for a few months before U see results, as most
    cases might be chronic.

Attached Files: