Is there life after death

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sillygurl, Jun 16, 2010.

1. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

I am not a follower nor an advocate of Scientology, I am a staunch Hindu. Its my friend who is deep down in this and yes it is costly. But some personal experiences she and her husband got were absolutely eerie.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. Pomegranite

Pomegranite Bronze IL'ite

This is not logical at all.

I was raised Catholic, but I have been a practicing Buddhist since I was 14 years old.
    Because I never had to take rebirth on faith.

As a child, I remembered my previous life. Not in it's entirety, but in snippets, when something would remind me: a smell, a person, an experience.
    I have always had a terrible fear of fire and deep water. I remember dying in a fire and drowning. I was on a ship that was being attacked. It caught fire and eventually sank.

Up until my early twenties I would occasionally meet someone and remember them from before. One of my oldest friends is/was a lesser officer on the ship and tried to save me.
    I met him when I was 16 and he 19. As soon as I saw him, I blurted out that we had met before, in our last life.
    He got this shocked look on his face and was all "Yes we did...on the ship!" But he didn't remember anymore than that.
    Several similar experiences happened like that.

I have no logical explanation for this.
    I am a veterinarian and a scientist.
    This is a non-reproducible anecdote that has no quantifiable data.
    If I heard the same story from another I would think they were delusional or confused.

But how can I refute the experiences of my ownself?
    All I know is that I have no problem believing in rebirth(!)
    Cheers,
    Ami

3. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends
    A thought-provoking thread. Great Ami to know about your experience.

One of the chapters of the book 'An Autobiography of a Yogi' by Paramhamsa Yogananda contains the astral life. In which life after death is very nicely explained. And this is a book worth reading.

Sadguru Shirdi Sai Baba also explained many a times to his devotees on rebirth and life after death.

Dear friends please go thru my thread http://www.indusladies.com/forums/queries-on-religion-and-spirituality/93568-karmic-effects.html. which deals with a similar topic and post your comments in it.

4. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I too, remember a lot from several of my previous lives but usually those are the occasions I cannot remember how many glasses of wine or cocktails I had in this life earlier that evening.

Unlike others, I do have a logical explanation for it and it is a very reproducible anecdote with quantifiable data ( as long as someone else is keeping count of the number of cocktails).

All I know is, I have a lot of problems believing in rebirth especially when I am sober.

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl:rotfl

Wicked Malavika! [​IMG]

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Jokes aside, the importance of the above is what most people have a hard time comprehending.

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Can you clarify what you mean Gauri? Just to be sure that I understand correctly.

PS: Yeah, Malvi is the wicked T-devil :)

8. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

True. If only we could make pigs fly every time someone said they "believed they saw one fly that time..." :rotfl

9. JordanRHughes

JordanRHughes New IL'ite

Great questions.

I often find myself arguing with myself about this matter. Logically I believe that we are an alien's science project, but then there is the god thing. If you believe there is a life after death then there maybe.

We might be3 living in Heaven right now and our choice will dictate our ever lasting being. I could go for on this subject....

Thanks for your time.

jordan.

10. Pomegranite

Pomegranite Bronze IL'ite

Whoa.
    I'm sure hope you weren't *trying* to be super disrespectful Malavika, but that was pretty close!
    I am as hard-headed and empiricist as any biologist you could name, but it sure is difficult to discount ones direct experience, especially as I was *not* an a priori believer.
    Catholicism does not allow for rebirth and I thought religion was full of crap anyway! lolz
    Early memories, and meeting with others who were triggered into remembering shared experiences, happened repeatedly, so it was not a one time experience.
    Also, I don't drink. :p
    Cheers,
    Ami