1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mango Monogamy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The other day, I found a few mangoes in the fridge which my wife had bought. . "Why don't you eat them instead of letting them rot?" she suggested. I looked at them closely and retreated as if I had received a jolt.

"Dussehri! I gasped . "You know I don't even touch them!".

The DW gave me the strange look that she always gives me when I am repulsed by that mango variety from Mayawati land. Shrugged her shoulders and went off.

My dislike of Dussehri has nothing to do with Mayawati. It is just that when it comes to mangoes, I thought I was bigamous. I used to consort with only what I thought were two varieties of mango--Banganapalli from Andhra Pradesh and Safeda. I thought the two mangoes beloved by me which look startlingly similar and taste alike were two different varieties but now I have realized t they are the same.

This enlightenment occurred when I was reading an article in the Times of India on mangoes. The writer informed me that because of failure of safeda crop in Vijayawada, the prices are higher this year. But hey, that is Banganapalli territory. Could the two mangoes be the same? I checked in the internet and voila, Safed is an alias of Banganapalli. I am mango monogamous. I am not in love with two varieties but with one!

This reminded me of an old Sharmila Tagore movie which I saw when I was a kid in which she ostensibly plays a double role of a rich girl and a poor girl. The hero, (played by Rajendra Kumar by looking at whose face you'd learn what is constipation) is torn between the two and finally discovers that they are the same. You see the girl was testing him whether he loved her or was after her wealth.

Now why would the very Andhra Banganapalli need an alias called Safeda in the north? Elementary my dear fellow Ilites . Imagine a north Indian trying th pronounce a word like Banganapalli. He/she would probably twist their tongue doing that and unconsciously rechristen the fruit into something like Baingan ki pilli or something like that.

So to retain its dignity, the luscious fruit has to morph into Safeda. It is like Telugu movies being dubbed in Hindi. Otherwise, northerners won't get a single word of all those brave dialogues Chirajivi or Nagarjuna hurl at dark swarthy villains before letting their fists do the dialogue-baazi...

. But Banganapalli or Safeda , let me have these mangoes about me that are fat, fleshy and luscious. Like Shakespeare's Cassius, Dussehri has a lean and hungry look. Keep me away from it.

Banganapalli, is not just a A Mango. It is THE mango.. The rest are poor shadows.. At the risk of bloggers from Maharashtra, Goa and the entire Konkan region hurling their slippers at me, I would say that the fabled Alphonso is just hype. The hype makes it overpriced in a way that is hardly justified by its taste.

The mango that follows dussehri towards the close of the mango season in the north Langda, is really a crippled fruit as the name indicates.--it is just too fibrous and has an unpleasant acidic taste that often leaves your tongue numb. Chausa. that comes at the end of the season, has a cloying syrupy taste..

.So Banganapalli remains the empress of mangoes (not emperor, I wouldn't be caught falling in love with a male). The rest of the incarnations of the King of Fruits are just a bunch of pathetic serfs. . .

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea r Balaji,

Double role u mean eh ! like we see in the movies.HAHAHAHAHAHA

Well We dont get apoos here, so i make do with whatever i get, and these days i am not very fond of mangoes, and i can do without them for years, btu harsha puts some at lunch, the hand goes, and down goes half a mango at least, damn the weight, who care a few kgs here and there.

Superb one Balaji, still holding my stomach at the comparisons with villains and what not.HAHA

i am nominating this for the great post.

Regards

kamal

3. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Balaji,

If Kamalji hasn't warned us of the overpowering humour you are hurling at us, I would have had a hip fracture rolling on the floor !

Amazing wit and style in the post.

Greatly enjoyed reading the post.Needless to mention that title is very creative and catchy.

Your analysis is overwhelming; everytime I read it ,my cheeks crack further chuckling.Being born and raised in AP, I understand the monogamy of Banganapalli there.And I thought you have christened it as 'Empress of Mangoes' coz this is Indusladies..:crazy:crazy

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Balaji
    What a hilarous post on mangoes....no wonder kamalji has nominated it for the finiest post.
    Not for the indusladies Saby he being a male doesn't wish to fall for a emperor...hahaha
    Here we get very bad mangoes I just don't like them at all there is only one named as kent mango which is a bit ok type....we get mangoes here during the month of october to jan. But I just miss mangoes from india, they are just superb.

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

As always humourous post Balajee.
    First I thought, I am into the May-June contest page..
    Very good analysis of the dual role in the movies with the mangoes..:thumbsupyou like..
    Empress of Mangoes...very good title..you see there are good empresses and not so good too..:biglaugh

Aruna...I like Kent, which is available here..and the other variety called the Haden..is also ok...

sriniketan

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi balajee,

a :thumbsup post but I being a pucca mumbai wali feel there is nothing like the apoos anywhere in the world .we do manage to get benganapalli here which is GREAT compared to the usual available ones from Thailand but nothing like the Emperor (yeah,male :)) of mangoes,the alphonso.

7. sujathaumakanth

sujathaumakanth Bronze IL'ite

Ha ha, a tribute to the mango that we like :)) I am too overly fond of this variety as well. Being away from India for almost 13 yrs and arriving at the wrong season for hols, I hardly get to taste juicy mangoes :(( The ones that we find here are really luscious but sweet just to the eyes.......what I would give to have the ones back from home !!!

An hilarious post as usual........you never let us down with your posts !!!

Cheers,
    Sujatha

8. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balajee...
    your post was:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:biglaugh:biglaugh:cheers
    Banganapalli is the empress....I totally agree... I dislike alfanso totally... tooooo over rated and strong smelly ...though I'm a Mumbaiker originally...
    but for me the south varieties are :thumbsup
    K

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, not a double role but two-in-one role like SharmilaTagore movie Talaash. You don't miss anything by not eating alphonsos aka apoos. They are overrated.Apoos are strictly for the Maratha manoos who follows Shiv Sena or Raj Thackarey's outfit. The ones we get in Delhi are godawful. I like Mangoes whose skins are also edibleBanganapalli passes this test. The rest of the mangoes are thick skinned. Thick=skinned humans are okay at times but not thick skinned mangoes.

10. APassionateOne

APassionateOne New IL'ite

ha.ha..Balajee..another hilarious one from you. "Baingan-ki-Pilli" - OMG, I was laughing out loud and had to let out few coughs to make my colleagues think that I am having a bad bout of cough!

I grew up eating those 'Baingan's and I am absolutely on your team. I hope to make a trip (atleast once in my life) to my beloved Hyderabad in the peak season of those mangoes and eat them every day religiously.
    May be you can join the party too.

Good writing...very worth the 'finest post' nomination.