1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

moving baby to her own room

Discussion in 'Infants' started by loonypooh, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I did try the crib thing once at roughly the age Z is at now and it didnt owrk. Or perhaps I felt too bad to keep it up whatever. We still co-sleep and I intend moving him out only after he's 3 and a half, max 4 years old. The patchy sleep happened with us too and I attributed it to a developmental spurt because thats how DS always was and even now is when there's a new milestone he's working on. If Z is the same then moving to a new room wouldnt help. Also if you are planning to go back to work soon then thats already goijng to be a new thing to handle. I really wouldnt do 2 new things at the same time - might be too much for her to handle. JMO.

V.

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

vanathi, thanks! i thought maybe she gets up often coz of our presence, it could be the other way too... frankly moving her to her room was more for her than me, thinking what if she is getting up coz of me?
    maybe i should get another mattress and put it nxt to ours in the same room.the way she is squirming all over the king size mattress,i lose half my sleep thinking i might come over her,
    maybe i should keep this for later :)

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

I was afraid of this happening to DS (patchy sleep) when he is little older. Infact even when he was 3 months old he hardly slept when we were in the same room. He was and is a very light sleeper...So I moved him to his room when he was 3 months old...
    Good or bad, decision was made and I used to wake up and go to his room for every cry...Now that he sleeps through the night, it's such a bliss for DH & me when DS is in a separate room...

If your idea is to make her sleep in a different room then do it NOW because if you wait more longer then she won't be out of the room until may be she is 4 or 5 years old (unless that's o.k with you!!!)...If you decide to move her then you got to be ready for some sleepless nights for atleast 4-5 nights or may be even a week...Because this is something very new to her and she might not like it at first...But instead of starting with the nights, I would suggest start with the day time naps in the crib..That way she will get accustomed to the crib, room and the total enviroment. Once she is comfortable for naps there, then start the night time..Now that she is older she will be totally aware of her surroundings...So be ready for some crying too...But don't feel bad and give up soon..You can always soothe her by patting her back and letting her know that you are there if she needs you.. Babies learn what we teach. So if you teach her good sleep patters now then it will definitely pay off in the future..

The crib thing totally worked for us...DS sleeps better and so does DH & I...

4. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Poo

V & V are 7.5 and 6 and they still sleep with us. I know that crazy:crazy but I have not been able to move them for want of space as I have separation anxiety and unable to sleep!:bonkNow I think they are ready but my office is in the ground flr and one bedroom in the grd flr and another in the first flr which makes things difficult:spinBut its high time I thought of a solution, sorry haven't been much help here. BTW my son is reading this and having a good laugh:biglaugh and clicking in these icons!:drowning

Cheers
    Deepa:cheers:):hiya:rotfl:bowdown

5. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

:rotfl:rotfl cute, deepa!
    Can't blame him. Even I cannot get over these icons. So tempting. :biglaugh

6. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi Poonam,

Like mridusudha said, it is a good idea to start now unless you want her in the room for the next 4-5 years. It happened with my first DS, we used to think he was too small and had a tough time to move him when he was 3-4. Even now that he is 5 1/2 , likes to sleep in our room but we have to insist and send him back. Learnt our lesson , hence with the second one, brought the crib in our room since the day we came back from the hospital, he slept in our room till he was 15 months in the crib, then later moved him with his brother in a toddler bed . It was much easier.

I would suggest you put her in a crib or on a mattress on the floor, toddler bed may not be a good idea for her age. to make the trasition easy, keep her bed, room ready (lights off, bed light on) and then put her to bed and walk away. You could try with the crib in your room first and once she gets used to the idea then move the crib to her room (depends on the location of the room, our rooms are adjacent ) .

regards,

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Poonam, when K was around 10 months, he became a wriggly worm too. Tossing and turning disturbing all our sleeps. We then moved our bed to the floor and got a separate mattress for him in the same room. That settled his sleep a little. We continued with that till K was around 2 years old and once he started sleeping longer stretches in night, first moved the mattress a little far away and then got a new cot for K for his room and moved him there.
    K went to sleep in his bed and then would join us after a 2 am wake up/potty break. The first few days he woke up searching for us, once he figured out we were in another room he settled. The fear that if the child does not sleep in her bed by X months will not sleep alone till y month is unfounded. We found K ready to make that transition at 2 years and he did A-ok. No tears, no fuss.
    The more you are going to reassure her less anxious the transition will be. I think V has a great point here. I know your DH will be there at home too when you are away, yet it will somewhat a stressful time for her.

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

thank u all!! for now i am keeping her in our mattress,but i have also been eyeing a cot for her. now last night i made an observation, i wasnt in the bedroom for 4 hours, she SLEPT, i was watching her on and off and once shegot up searched around for momma, a slight whimper and moan, and off to sleep. 1 am i go back and madam knows MOMMA is here! come lets trouble her,lol!

now with different pointers here, i am more confused what am i supposed to do? :(
    sometimes i feel, co sleeping has become such a habit,will i be able to sleep without her nxt to me anyway?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  9. Neetu_kumar

Neetu_kumar Senior IL'ite

Poonam, exact same thing happened here last night. 8.15PM-1.15AM almost slept thru' with just one waking which DH managed just by patting. DS sleeps in his crib but in the same room. Mostly, i nurse him 4-5times at night:( .
    Planning to watch him. If this new arrangement works, hoping to bring down the night time nursing sessions to 2 in 4-5weeks. BTW, last night was the longest stretch in 10+months else its 1-2hrs max.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  10. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Interesting thread, am making a note of all :)