1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Whose direction is great-according to youl???

Discussion in 'Movies' started by shakambari, Jun 1, 2010.

1. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

The directors I like:
    • K. Viswanath
    • RGV

2. winnny

winnny New IL'ite

i like ridley scott!

3. Roopamanju

Roopamanju Platinum IL'ite

hi,

I like 1.ManiRathnam
    2.Sanjay Leela Bhansali
    3.K.Vishwanath
    4.Visu

4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

K.Balachander always.....
    each film is special with message and his intelligent touches...some very subtle which we might miss while viewing for the first time...
    Neerkumizhi
    Iru kodugal
    Major Chandrakanth
    Velli vizha
    Thamarai nenjam
    Bama vijayam
    aval oru thodarkadhai
    avargal
    sindu bhairavi
    punnagai mannan......
    can't resist typing .....
    we can learn lots of subtle vishayams from his films...regarding music..,boldness, diplomacy in adverse situations.., romance....he is THE BEST....
    regards,
    Bhargavi

1 person likes this.
  5. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

I totally agree with you,Barghavi. His movies appealed to the viewers intellect as well as their heart too...
    I love the movies in your list...
    Timeless classics!!!

6. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Mani ratnam hands down!!
    There is no movie of his, that I can term average... love his mouna ragam, ayutha ezhuthu and even raavanan (note the point, not raavan though.... man AB junior looked like a comic hero in the movie//)
    He is one director who can handle any subject.. Romance even in these times (alaipayuthey), crime (pagal nilavu), or a social awareness(iruvar)

Shankar to a certain extent for making movies with social awareness, that would even reach the masses - Indian, Anniyan, Shivaji, only he can pull it off...

Also, used to like Fasil, his family- sentiments like poove poochudaava and Kadhalukku mariyadhai, very touchy they are...

Contradictory to the general consensus about Balachander, I'm not a big fan of his. Agreed, he is a forward thinker, but some of his movies are beyond any practicalities like Kalki/ sindhu bhairavi.

1 person likes this.
  7. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

SSC,
    ManiRatnam is a good director....and I loved the analysis of his various movies...

Shankar is a surefire success at the boxoffice and he is the one who bought mega budgets to stay...

I just found Kalki a bit off beat...and SinduBhairavi is based on the true story of a famous musicians life...

8. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

+100000000000 :thumbsup
    I so love Maniratnam too. He is one director that I would bet my last penny upon. I remember reading somewhere that a movie is not about telling just a story, but it's about how well you tell the story. That's where Mani strikes gold. His stories might be as old as time but the way he narrates them and the manner in which he develops his characters are absolutely amazing.

What I love most about Maniratnam is the way he portrays the family relationship in all his films. Be it Revathi's family in Mouna Raagam; Raghuvaran, Revathi and d kids in Anjali; Girija and her sisters in Idhayathai Thirudathey; Arvindswamy, Manisha and the twins in Bombay; Shalini's and Madhavan's respective families in AP; or even the amazing Madhavan's family in Kannathil Mutthamittal, Mani always manage to bring a sense of familiarity with all his characters in his own subtle manner. You can almost relate to all of them and share their joy and sorrow as if they are your own.

9. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Very true.. Not only families, but the romance in his movies adds a refreshing flavor (though its short!!)
    Be it bombay, or roja, or even kannathil muthamittal or raavanan (these were non-romantic movies) that had a beautiful flavor of romance.. The romance between the leads just lingers on your mind forever!!

10. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

I have high regards for K Balachander too. In fact, he's just a few notches lower in my graph compare to Maniratnam. His stories were refreshing back in the 70's and 80's- my personal favorite is Nizhal Nijamagirathu, followed closely by Unnal Mudiyum Thambi and Avargal. In fact, even today I can still watch these movies and marvel at how serious subjects such as these can be told in such a simple yet effective manner.

Of course his Thillu Mullu need to be mentioned as well but that film is totally on a different level in comparison to others.

The only downside that I see in his films is the funny (which he probably thinks as "cute") mannerisms he often makes his heroines/lead roles to portray. Be it the constant uttering of "Phataphat" in Aval oru thodar kadhai / the rolling of eyes act by Saritha in many films / the giggling for no reason by Suhashini in Sindhu Bairavi / the twitching of lips by Kushboo in Jathi malli and worse, repeating the same dialogue over and over again (too many films to recount these) such acts get to the point of being abnormal and even make you irritated after some time.

But if there's something that KB is totally marvelous and stand unchallenged, then it's got to be the manner in which he extracts fantastic music from all his music director. He must have been the only director who worked with various MDs such as MSV, Ilayaraja, Keeravani, ARR, Deva, Vidhyasagar etc and manage to get phenomenal numbers from all of them. I just can't remember a single instant when he has even one bad song in his films. Each and every one of them are gems of their own.

1 person likes this.