Mango Contest - May & June 2010

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Laxmi, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subash

Subash New IL'ite

This is the first time the manggo tree in my house is producing fruits.:spinWe r all very exited.It is the long S shaped manggo. There are lots of fruits. We were so pleased in giving it away to all our friends and family. Now we know the joy of giving.:rotflMost of them were plucked before riping as the sqirells will never let them ripe. When I make fish curry I just go to my backyard,pluck a manggo and slice it into my curry. The taste is simply different.:thumbsupAs for the unriped manggoes we don't have to look for any chemicals. Just leave it in our rice containers for a few days. It will ripen and be sweet. The best way to eat it is sit bare footed with your husband outside your house facing the back yard. Take a knife and slice length wise on both sides of the manggo.:cheers Take a spoon and scrape the flesh out straight into your mouth. Can you feel the juice pouring from my mouth. Thats the way to enjoy a good manggo.:wow

2. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Some of the facts which I know are:

1: Mango is the "king of fruits" and the king looks very healthy and comes in all sizes and colors like green when it is raw and light yellow, dark orange when they are riped
    2: In Hindu culture Mango leaves are used during weddings, festivals outside the main door(called torana) and this is considered as a blessing.
    3: During Ugadi , we prepare Ugadi pachadi using raw mango, neem flowers, jaggery, tamarind pullp, and so on, this symbolizes that life is a mixture of bitter, sour and sweet. Also in Karnataka they says "Bevu Bella tindu volledu matadu"
    4:While plucking the mangoes ( Omllete variety) from the tree one should be really carefull as it oozes out a milk which is dangerous.
    5: India is the main producer of Mangoes.
    6: Mango pulp is good for dry skin.
    7: There plenty of vegetarian dishhes that can be prepared few of them are mango chutney, mango rice, mamidikaya pappu, manga thokku, mango pickle, Mango Milkshake,Fruit Salad with ice cream :crazy, manga gojju (karnataka dish) and so onnnnnnnn
    8:it is rich in vitamin A and C.

back in India my aunt has huge farm which has loads of mango trees , comparatively the maintenance cost is low.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. ittu

ittu New IL'ite

HOW TO CUT MANGO:

This is tip to eat mango in best way:
    Cut mango in center in circular way in two parts with knife till it touches the seed cover.
    Pull one part apart.
    Now one part will be having seed and other will be in the shape of round small bowl.
    Now simply eat the pulp using spoon from both parts

:cheers
    ittu

4. ckavya

ckavya New IL'ite

Mango is the king of fruits. Mango is favourite fruit to many...

Different types of mangoes are avaiable which has different taste.

We can prepare many dishes with raw mango.Mango pickle is the ultimate in this season which stay for year long.

For Juicy mangoes,Nuzvidu Rasalu is the top...
    It is small in size but the taste is very good.Eating this mango is art.We have to eat this mango from down,because top u will have the jell (Jeddi)

Mango reminds of my college days.Our college was in the center of the orchard of mango trees.Every where greenary and in summer every tree full of mangoes. Tried of plucking and eating mangoes.
    Golden memoriess....

But now a days everything has gone hybrid. Real taste is rarely found.

But still mango is the favourite fruit so have to comprimise with the taste...

5. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

MANGOoooooooooooooooooooo...........

Whether it is green or golden yellow mouth watering.
    I still remember the days when it used to be my breakfast ,lunch dinner and snack what not.

My nanna took me to his amma's place where they used to have mango topus(gardens).

Facts about mangos:

Health from mango:
    People usually don't prefer to eat the skin of the mango.But If you eat mango with skin then the negetive effects caused by mango are reduced in our body.

Beauty tip:
    Everybody knows that mango tree has medicinal value.Mango tree's roots are good for cracked feet.If you apply the roots paste everyday feet becomes normal filling all the cracks.

Cutting mango:
    It is always better to eat whole mango not cutting it.except the seed.I saw the mango cutter in the market one like apple cutter.I find it easy wiith it to cut the mago.

Choosing Mangos:
    Shape and size are very iimportant in choosing mangos .Of course each variety is different.Depending on that not so hard and not so soft ones for eating.And very hard and light green ones for pickles.I f you choose dark green ones pickles .pickle becomes black and little bitter over days as it should stay for an year or so.
    If you want to ripe mangos at home organically either keep them in reets basket covered with grass or keep them in rice bag.They will be ripen in 2/3 days.

Varieties of Mangos:
    Banginapalli: Known for colour and taste.Similar to alphanso in north India.
    Neelam: Round shapeds ones having much fibres.
    Rasaalu: Good for making juices as the name indiactes with less flesh and no so thick skin.
    Malgoobas:You can find extra large sized mangos in this variety.
    Suvarnarekha:Good for having more shelflife.
    Bengalooras:S shaped one.Good for eating when they are raw and green itself as they taste sweet.
    Benishaans:The most tastiest and sweetish and coloured ones.
    I do remember names of some more varieties (when my appa wanted to choose have trees in the farm ) like Noorjahans,totaapuries,Kesar etc

If you know more about mango I am sure you can truly enjoy eating the mango.

That's all folks!!!!!!!!!!

6. prasanthimb

prasanthimb New IL'ite

hi,
    Mango pulp can be used for facial.
    Take 2spoons of mango pulp mixed with equal amount of milk powder and mix well.
    Apply it on the face and leave for 5-7min.
    Your face will be clear removing all the tan and dirt in this summer

7. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Lovely contest to match the season here! A contest on Mangoes, the king of fruits. Am sure there would not be a single soul that does not like mangoes – in whatever form.

At the utterance of the word mango, am reminded of my beloved in-laws (late). My FIL used to simply love those maavadus my MIL makes. Actually maavadus are taken as accompaniment to curd rice. I really wonder how these practices were set by our previous generations. Mangoes are seasonal. During summer, it is generally advocated that to fight the scorching heat and soaring temperatures, curd rice should not be missed. Better still, it is a general practice to blend curds into buttermilk adding required quantity of water and this mixed with rice and eaten with maavadus would be yummy. The other forms of pickles – mango thokku, aavakkai, maahai etc. would be prepared and preserved for use later. These pickles are spicy and hence avoided to some extent during summer when most people prefer maavadus.

Coming back to my FIL, he used to love maavadus to such an extent, he would start having them right from sambar rice. In Brahmin community you know, the main course for the lunch consists of sambar, curry, kootu, rasam and finally rice with curd or buttermilk. While we all have just one or two maavadu for the curd rice, he would have some four or five. Even till his death, all his 32 teeth were in tact and I used to love the way he enjoys maavadus and pickles.

Likewise my MIL also used to love all pickles made of mango. Come summer and she would start planning to purchase the right type of mango for each pickle. She used to make them so tasty with the magic in her hands. Even any regular cooking, done even in a jiffy manner would be mouthwatering. If you ask her, she would say, I just did something and it came out so well.

In our house, being the keralite origin, we make maambazha koottaan – sambar using raw or ripe mangoes, one variety called maambazha puliseri using ripe mangoes. She used to tell me till summer ends, you make this koottaan only frequently so that we can avoid tamarind which is not good during hot season. I too used to love maambazha puliseri and nowadays whenever I make, I get nostalgic. More than having it with rice, she used to literally drink it, holding in her hands and also have it for whatever tiffin I make. To that extent she used to love it.

Likewise, whenever we go out, whether she accompanies us or not, we have to get her share of ` Mango Frooti’ – fresh and juicy! (remember that ad). Also whenver she goes out she would buy Frooti and also the Nutrine Naturo – Mango bar for my kids and pamper them!!!

And whenever there are guests at home during summer, they will not leave without having mango milkshake. She was an expert at it I used to hear. Then I also picked up this habit of treating our summer time guests to chilled mango shake and they would really bless us. Every evening when she comes back from walk, she would buy mangoes for us and even if we are lazy to have them, she will cut them and bring for us in plates even when we are browsing the net at 11.00 p.m. Such was her love for mangoes and for us!!!

Another mango drink is the aam panna which is so refreshing during summer – really chill and tangy with roasted jeera powder and black salt.

Other yummy recipes of mangoes is the maanga pachadi. We make this generally out of the beach maanga also called as kilimooku maanga. I made it today and enjoyed with my colleagues too for lunch. It is a good match for molagoottal! – another Malabar recipe. This mango will have the combined taste of salt and little sweet. It is cooked with haldi and salt and little chilli powder, mashed and blended with little jaggery and seasoned with mustard seeds, red chillis, hing poweder and curry leaves. I would like to have it with curd rice too.

Yet another recipe of raw mangoes is the maanga arachukalakki. From the lot of maavadus, a few of them may not retain their crispness and become soft and tender which are best used for arachukalakki. Those days, these maavadus used to be stocked at home so that even on a rainy day when sometimes we are not able to go out and purchase veggies for the next day, we can manage with these forms of mangos that we have at home (remember no fridge those days!).

My DD and myself enjoy poori with aamras – pulp of raw mangoes mashed with sugar and elaichi.

So mangoes – both raw and ripe take different avtaars and delight us throughout the season and after.

My write-up would be incomplete without a mention of Aamchoor powder which has become an inevitable item in my grocery. This comes in handy for any cooking from rasams, currys, sabjis and the like.

Since many of our friends here have given details about the different varieties of mangoes, how to cut them and the like of it, I thought I would narrate my ` Mango Memoirs’. I myself doubt, if my write-up is a tribute to the Mangoes themselves or to my loving in-laws!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoy my write up and also the different recipes which show off here!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  8. JJULIET

JJULIET New IL'ite

HAVE U EVER HAD MANGO KHEER
    I have tried it is delicious
    1ltr milk
    sweet mango pulp - 1cup
    cardamom powder - 2pinch
    milkmaid condense milk
    Almonds,raisins & chashew nuts slightly fried in ghee-1tsp each
    Roasted Semiya fried in ghee-1/4 cup
    Roasted Rava(semolina) or rice socked and coursly grided-1/cup

Method:
    Heat milk till it simmers and keep in a low fire
    Add condense milk to the above milk,till it taste sweet & it is thick, u can add sugar according to ur taste if u want.
    Add roasted rava or the rice & cook.
    Add fried semiya and cook in a slow fire
    Add the mango pulp to the milk & stir to that it will not touch to the bottom.Once it is finished
    add the fried almonds,raisins etc
    & decorate with pinch of cinamon powder and slit almonds.

Have a delicous kheer.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. shaajikana

shaajikana New IL'ite

Mouth Watering Fruitelisious Recipe: MANGO, banana, orange smoothi
    1 big mango,
    1 banana
    1 Orange
    1tsp cinnamon powder
    1 tsp ginger powder
    4 drops vanilla extract
    3-5 big tablespoon brown sugar (depending on sweetness wanted)
    1 cup plain yoghurt
    2tbs porridge oats

Remove the skin. Cut banana and mango into small pieces.
    squeeze orange juice.
    add all ingredients in liquidizer.
    Sprinkle grated zest to smoothi in nice glass:)

Shaaji Kanx

10. geetajag

geetajag New IL'ite

Hi,
    Now what can be said about the lovely mangoes, can be had in various ways, I make interesting recipes for children and adults to have........
    1) Mango Custard :

1 mango, 1 egg (whipped well), 2 cups milk (reduced to 1 cup), sugar 2 tbsps. 2 tbsps. cream and 1 tbsp. sugar.
    Method : Cut mango finely and put in a small dish at the base, beat egg well add 2 tbsps. sugar and again beat well then add the reduced milk mix well and pour over the mangoes. Keep in base dish with water in oven for 20 mins. at 180 deg. Cool it. Then turn it upside down. Beat cream and sugar fill a small cone and decorate it.

2) Mango pizza :

1 pizza base, 1 mango large size or 2 small size, 2 tomatoes, 2 green chillies, onion, salt, cheese and 2 tbsps. milk.

Put pizza base in oven till the base is nicely crisp. Then remove and apply cheese and milk paste. Cut up onion, tomatoes, green chillies. Put onion on pan with little oil and make it pink in colour, add tomatoes, green chillies and stir fry till soft and pulpy, put coriander, salt and make it into a soft past. Spread evenly on the base of the of cheese and milk paste. Cut mangoes into 3 shape or any shape and top it on the pizza, sprinkle a little sugar on top. Keep it in oven for 10 minutes till mango softens with little brown colour.

Serve hot.

This is liked by both young and old.

Hey enjoy ur mango treat.
    Geeta Jagasia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.