1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which/What food to carry while travelling ?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ssubhasr, May 13, 2010.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi

We have planned for a 6 day trip to Las vegas(grand canyon) and los angeles.

We have a baby girl who is 22 months old and we are vegeterian. And there is no kitchen in any of the hotels we booked. Am so confused what / which food to take for my baby ? She stopped taking milk now-a-days.

Pl advise....

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

3. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Hi Shuba, I hope you and your little one are having a fun time...are you back in the US?

by the way to answer your question, try flavored yogurt, banana, mac and cheese, fruits in jelly(like Dol), packed pudding,cereal, pop tarts, sandwiches

4. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

You could get single electric coil/burner from walmart or walgreen.

Walmart.com: Aroma Single-Burner Portable Electric Range Hot Plate: Appliances

with this, you could cook simple stuff like porridge, kichidi, semiya, upma,
    Carry rice cooker, you could prepare pongal, fried rice etc.

My son was exactly 23 months, when we visited Vegas, and we could manage well for 3 days.

He loves milk, so we used to get milk from CVS[there is one CVS in the strip],
    boil the milk with electric burner and he used to have that.

enjoy ur vacation.

5. sidrasmom

sidrasmom New IL'ite

Hi

Adding to the above suggestions.
    If he is a fruit lover you can carry plenty of fruits with you.You can also take the small juice packs that you get in Costco with various flavors.Parle G biscuit packs.

6. mom_of_2boys

mom_of_2boys Silver IL'ite

hi

we always carry a little electric rice cooker and take paruppu podi.. even plain rice cooked with frozen corn (which we can keep in the fridge in the room) and salt/pepper/ghee tastes so good for the kids.. rice cooker can also be used to cook mac-n-cheese or plain pasta (same corn/peas/salt/pepper) ..
    u can pre make rotis and keep them in the fridge in the room and warm them up in the rice cooker.. ready made frozen or home frozen sabjis can be warmed up too..we used to make pongal (with a pre made mix of dhal/rice ground a little coarse) for us.. take ready made pancake mix and make pancakes in the rice cooker, the possibilities are endless

hope this helps
    shyamala.

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I second the rice cooker idea. When we stayed in a hotel without kitchen/kitchenette or microwave the rice cooker has been helpful. You can carry rice and moong daal and make a khichdi with some chopped veggies thrown in. Moong daal cooks much faster than our regular toor daal. Other than that, jar food, yogurt, banana, breakfast cereal (Mini-wheats, etc soak well in milk). are good.

8. Dolly_Lite

Dolly_Lite Bronze IL'ite

You can also carry 'O'pasta or cheese ravioli in tomato saiuce available in small cans. This pasta will be like a ring as in cheerios.

9. Aruna972

Aruna972 Bronze IL'ite

It can be quite a tedious worry actually, My hubby n I both love to travel and we both worried on what to carry when we had our first child and we had our plan to travel Switzerland. To top it we are vegetarians too., so now you know the added worry! But it would be ok and not that bad to travel with a toddler. We do have quite a few options to try. See if this helps you with a few tips, Baby Food While Travelling Abroad | Humpty Bumpty Kids