1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son's poor hygiene

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by revs77, May 11, 2010.

1. revs77

revs77 Gold IL'ite

My 10 year old DS is very poor in hygiene. I have tried my best to teach him and failed. I am worried about his general hygiene and dental hygiene.

He just stands under the shower, never uses soap. If I hide the soap, he never asks for soap. But if I ask him if he used soap, he will say yes. Sometimes I stand in the bathroom to make sure he is using soap but he will put soap to his arms and he is done. Nowadays he is asking me not to come into his bathroom because he is a big boy. I am worried if he cleans his body fully.

Another bad habit is he does not brush his teeth regularly, he will just wet his brush to give an impression that he cleaned his teeth. One day I told him there was no toothpate and how did he clean? He was giving all sorts of excuses.

I don't know how to make him understand the importance of being clean. My DH leaves for work early and is not at home when my son gets ready. How do I make my son realize that he has to clean himself and his teeth regularly?

2. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Revs77,

I am not an experienced mom - my DD is just a year old. Just putting forth my thoughts here. Have you tried to make these activities small games for your son? I know this is recommended for younger kids, but just suggesting. Also, here is this website (Hygiene-educ.com - Personal hygiene -) that teaches hygiene through fun worksheets. There are also some teachers' tips that you can use to guide your son. HTH.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Rev, I am also very anti-soap. I hate the way it makes my skin feel - dry and stretched. I really hate the smells. I can tolerate unscented soaps. So, I take three to four showers a day with only one using a washcloth and some shower gel (right now I use only green gram flour and I wont recommend that for all).
    You need those many here in India where it is hot AND muggy; you may not need those many where you live. I personally do not think you need to smell like you stepped through a perfume factory to be clean. I would rather that people use deodorants and body sprays sensibly - only the person sitting right next to you need to know you smell good.
    With regard to brushing teeth, an electric toothbrush has ensured the teeth are clean for DS with minimal fuss. Toothpaste is comestic. A good brushing action is good enough. I would take your child to a dentist and perhaps a 101 on caries and how painful treating them is should ensure he learns how to use his toothbrush effectively.
    IMO, he is too old for you to be supervising. He is most certainly prepubescent and needs his privacy. He is capable of taking responsibilities for his hygiene - it may not agree totally with how you perceive it should be. Work with him to find a middle path.
    I have a feeling your child may have certain sensory issues. DS, who is three, hates baths and brushing teeth, brushing hair. I can see how those are related to some of his sensory issues, such as not being caressed softly, light pressure touches, light kisses all make him feel funny. What's more my husband is like that too. You may have to take that into account while working with him. Good luck.