When Moderating becomes Censorship...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Malavika81, Mar 11, 2010.

Do you feel Moderating in some IL sub forums is tuning to Censorship?

1. YES

37 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. NO

34 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Spiderman, you are right about the defensiveness - it's a natural reaction, I think.

However, I have had an opportunity to get to know many of the moderators here, and the vast majority of them are very good people. I'm hoping this inherent quality of knowing right from wrong will prevail instead of a "battening down the hatches" type of mentality.

I've never visited any other site that came even close to IL in terms of camaraderie and interesting threads/conversations. I'd hate to be elbowed out by a curtailing of the free flow of information in the name of moderation.

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Agreed. Like I said, I fully expect the initial reaction to be defensive, but I'm hoping they will eventually overcome that instinct and take a big-picture look at things.

Yes, I do believe that they are very good people, and really hoping for the fresh breath of air. Is this thread being looked at by Mods? Maybe someone should PM the IL Mod team so they can look at the discussion first.

:iagree

Exactly the reason, I said "I love you all" to IL-ites a day ago. :)

IL is great today, and we just want to make sure it goes to the next level of greatness :thumbsup

3. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I was hoping to bring this issue up last time around but it got some responses and then was buried under. I would have liked some moderators to participate in this discussion last time but there was none. Now that it got resurrected, I hope some will.

I was never a proponent of anarchy but rather a proponent of judicious and necessary moderation without having to resort to heavy handed tactics or autocratic reigns in certain parts of IL. My sentiments echo the same as True's, which is the issue of over zealous and over the board moderators.

Right now, I feel things are not exactly hunky dory when it comes to freedom of speech and moderating in moderation. That thread of Indiandad that was deleted yesterday is a classic example of high handed moderators and all he was trying to do was ask if anyone else's post has been deleted and this was in chit chat. There was a intimidatory post from one of the moderators first (allegedly there was a second one as well but I did not see it) and then the whole thread was deleted for little or no reason citing 'useless to the community'.

Well I hope so too and that is my primary intention but somehow like Spiderman, I have my doubts LOL. Let us wait and see what happens and if this evokes any desired response.

4. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I am with you on that Spidey. Well I can tell you the over moderation on this site is just way over board and it probably rivals that of any conservative religious site. Most other sites I have been on does not have this degree of over zealousness when it comes to moderating a site.

I expect it to be defensive as well but like you said, hopefully they can get past that to see what is the root of the problem and maybe take this to improve the site and its policies.

I think most of them were aware of it last time around and that includes Induslady. Maybe they thought if they did not respond or ignore, it will just go away but now that it has resurrected again, I want this thread and this issue to gain critical mass. The Mods are reading all the posts by 'the group' (no points for guessing the members of the group :rotfl) and this was straight out of a moderator's post earlier (the one that got deleted). So don't worry, big brother (or big sister) is watching :wink:

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  5. IndainDad

IndainDad New IL'ite

Another moderator got on this now deleted thread and stated that they will visit the thread to see 'who' posts there. As a bonus, this mod added a comically dishonest disclaimer to the effect that they want to use the feedback to rework their moderating style. If one is serious about accepting the user feedback to improve their work methods, they should worry about the 'what' (they are saying) part instead of the 'who' (is saying it) part, don't you all think?

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  6. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I didn't read the second one nor did I see it, Indiandad. But the first one almost had an intimidatory tone and I think it was addressed to kainaath to the effect of 'We are watching you and we can do what we please and when we please' etc. I am still interested why it was deleted as I could not think of any reason except abuse of moderating power and acting high handed.

If they are talking about useless thread to the community, I could point out several. And yours was a valid issue thread and it was in chit chat for Pete's sake.

7. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

I have voted!!

:yes::exactly:..................Malavika, I agree that moderating is turning to censorship and some moderators are acting funny and as they please with no sensible reason. I want to make it clear that NOT ALL, ONLY SOME of the moderators are like this.

My experience: Please read my usercp. In this thread suffering from hectic schedules ........after I finished speaking to the OP, I was curious to know more about mstrue's sketches and just asked her a simple question as to whether the avataar sketches were made by her and who was in those sketches, was it mstrue herself or not. OK, all this because the post immediately before mine was mstrue's and I liked the avataar sketch very much. It reminded me of my friend who is an artist.
    I did not think I was diverting the thread in anyway with that simple question and that too after addressing the OP's issue at hand.
    But, NO! The moderator did not like me showing curiosity at the beautiful sketches and she deletes that part of the post. Thankfully, mstrue got my question before the moderator could erase it. I asked the moderator the reason why she deleted that part and to this day there is no response.

So, in a way sometimes this moderating is becoming too much. Yeah, and as Malavika said we can then call that censorship.

8. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Gooseberry, I agree with you. In my opinion, "diverting the thread" has become a sort of catch-all excuse for moderating all kinds of harmless, good-natured banter and interesting asides. I wonder what the real agenda is behind such excisions.

If a thread degenerates into a one-on-one flame war, or the OP complains that the "diversion" is causing him or her great distress, then maybe it becomes a necessary course of action. Otherwise, is it too much to expect members to just ignore the "irrelevant" bits and move on to what interests them?

Having to stick to the topic at hand religiously and with strictly no deviations has the potential to squeeze the very life out of these forums. I feel a little strangled myself when I try to phrase my posts within such stricture - although I'm sure many members would breathe a sigh of relief if I was forced to make my posts more concise!

9. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

I am with you there, Ansuya! I agree with you, Gooseberry!

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  10. IndainDad

IndainDad New IL'ite

When someone stays with the original topic but uses objectionable language, they wait 3 hours before editing it. Look at this: http://www.indusladies.com/forums/married-life/94728-life-is-a-curse-me-6.html#post1197114. The poster had a suggestion for OP to lay a trap for a man who wronged her. Then there was graphic description of what she should do to cause him physical harm using the high heels she was advised to wear for the occasion. My reply post (about waiting to see how soon moderators would edit the post) was promptly deleted.

Are you accusing yourself of being long-winded?:)