North Indian and South Indian....constant debates?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by adara, Oct 4, 2009.

1. renvem

renvem Senior IL'ite

i don't see any problem with this thread...it's just a discussion...not meant to create any sort of divides ...but just to put the thoughts...

i am a pakka north indian delhi born punjabi married to a tam brahm.....and we get along so so well.......we enjoy the life as it comes...in fact i am so happy he's not like a typical north indian guy with loads of ego...we enjoy the differences in the cultures and get to celebrate various different festivals....we've had such different families and upbringing and all thsi gives us so much to talk about and so many things to share and learn from each other

the current generations and the ones to come will not face too much of issues as it's becoming cosmo these days...if fact these days u can't say whether a person is from north or south...

the generations before us definitely think differently and thus are very different people...i had too many issues during the marriage as my side and my in laws side could not come to terms....we had to resort to a court marriage..but all is well that ends well....while my in laws were too detail oriented and methodical...my folks were too cool about it...both of them said they have no issues with the marriage but because of the difference in the way they think created too many issues...

we live separately ...but we're extremely friendly with both the in laws and my folks....(the two families still can't talk much with each other though)....

i am sure with this sort of culture convergence...the divide will soon fade off....

1 person likes this.
  2. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi. I have never faced any problem with North Indians. In fact I like moving with them - both in office and elsewhere. In fact they respect our culture and our traditional practices, enjoy our food more these days. Especially,they are broad minded unlike many south Indians.

In fact my husband would like to settle once for all in Delhi - to that extent he enjoyed his 3.5 yrs posting there. So we don't see any issues.

1 person likes this.
  3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

It's nice to see how forward thinking you ladies are. I too don't see any reason in creating a North/South gap. But reality is, just because we are so sensible, doesn't mean all Indians are.

My mil is South Indian. But she married my fil who is Gujarathi. Now she will NEVER admit she is South Indian, in fact to anyone who asks she says she is NORTH INDIAN Gujarathi by birth. She was previously Christian by birth too, but after marriage hates everything to do with South Indian stuff and Christian religion so now is a devout 'Gujarathi Hindu woman' and says she was born Hindu. She really looks down on South Indians. In fact even with North Indians she has only two types she happily accepts... Gujarathis and Rajasthanis. My inlaws will make fun of every other person.

In fact when I wore saree, my mil ridiculed me saying that a north Indian family girl should only be wearing gargara cholis. And that all modern and fashionable girls hate saree and only want gargara choli. :bonk

Maybe that is a generational thing? I hope that mindset dies off. It's really stupid. But just wanted to share my experience with the North/South 'controversy'.

4. mitaliraj

mitaliraj New IL'ite

Even I agree that there are lot of differences between north Indianans and south Indians.
    People from North see south Indians as very conservative and dirty ,whereas people from South see North Indians as very bold and lazy.
    People feel so happy when they get to move to a country like US or so,but when it comes to north Indians going to south or vice versa,people say "Oh,we can't adjust there maybe :bonk,we can't eat there food blah blah.."

There are another genre of people who move to a place but they are like, "Oh,these people,what they cook even they don't understand".
    We as Indians have to understand the fact that its just the thinking which matters.

I would like to ask my south indian friends,Didn't you ever get a south indian who ditched you or backstabbed u?Or didn't you ever get a north indian helping u when u were in difficulty?

Same is the questions for North Indians also.

I myself m a south Indian.But,Being both and brought up in Maharashtra(Which is neither in north or south).When i was in Maharastra people were like "Oh! you a south Indian?"

And now when i m working in South Indian(Where i have ppl from my own mother tongue) people say "Oh you are a north Indian,You talk like them,ur eating habits are like them etc etc".

My only question is When we can accept the cultures from US,UK etc,then y we fine it difficult to accept our own Indian cultures or people.

This has to stop somewhere.I can talk so much because people like me really face a big time thinking about what we are.
    The only thing we should understand and accept and be proud off is "We Are Indians!"

It's our generation who has to strive towards eliminating these caste and region feelings and discriminations.
    Coz our previous generations have made this a very deep rooted feeling and have given that feeling to us,but it depends whether we want to divide our India into North or South or West India or into an United country.

Sorry, if my post hurted anyone's feelings or views,but i spoke what i felt and what i experienced.

5. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

I think the discussion could be more towards North Indians brought up in South India and vice versa. I don't know about the former but the latter - the less said is better.

South Indians from North have a penchant to look down at their own clan. My ex was brought up in North, my cousins were brought up in north. My ex and his family hardly conversed in Tamil, they spoke only in Hindi.

They think SIs are naive, and can be taken for a ride easily. The girls brought up in NI would want to get married to someone from NI, but men brought up in NI would want to marry someone from the South. The reason being they can have an easy control over the South Indian women. We are often labelled as conservative, gullible and very rustic. They think they are street smart, shrewd and very liberal.

I hate my aunts family mainly because she used to call stupid tamilians. She herself is one. She used to say her last choice was Madras. They have a weird tamil accent and behave as if they are just out from the heaven.

I'd never ever do the mistake of making an alliance with a SI brought up in NI. I find them to be hard core crooks.

1 person likes this.
  6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Divide n rule has not yet left our country though british had.

Such differentiation is used for identifying the region but blindly used by some to consider the other inferior. every region has their own rich culture to boast with.

I have seen Indians from north, east and western parts enjoying irresistible Hot Idli Sambar and Medu vada & Dosa of south and the Indians from the southern part enjoying the irresistble chats, lip smacking dishes and rotis of north.

People are united as Indians which is very clear in an India Vs. _________ cricket match

7. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

I think this difference between North /South is seen among people with huge EGOS. Only those find fault with others in order to feel superior.

I grew up at a place that had people from all over India ( it was sort of a military base).

I went to college and there I saw the big DIVIDE and how people were demeaning to others. They ridiculed each others language,dressing,intelligence and appearance.

I never participated and had friends on both sides and did not care either ways. My friends were also similar. The egoistic ones..I kept away from.

This can only end if people stop behaving like "A frog in the Well" (Koopmanduk) and think globally.

Love And Luck
    FL

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

FL,
    Well said :hatsoff

9. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I don't know anything about the north and south divides in India but I do know Masala Dosa tastes better than Chappatis LOL

1 person likes this.
  10. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

Malavika, You are funny!!

BTW, I love masala dosa too.