Moving to Singapore? Housing/Utility/Transport/Cost of Living etc!

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by Vinodha, May 24, 2007.

1. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji,

Yes, Suddenly realised about my addiction towards my work.

So trying to get out of that.

Hope you are doing great at your end.

2. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

This is not possible in your case since CBP and Jurong are at two opposite ends of the island. And FYI, Indians stay in all areas. so no worries.

All the areas have playparks for children near the blocks. Generally people of other races are friendly. My son has many friends from other races mainly.

Choosing an area is your own choice and convenience. If I were you I will choose near the Kids' school since commuting everyday to school can be tedious when it rains. And it rains most of the months here.
    Alternatively, I may want to choose an area near CBP like Simei, Tampines, Pasir Ris or SengKang/Punggol, easier for Husband and choose a neighborhood school for the kid which solves all the trouble.
    But Jurong area's rental are comparatively lower than eastern Singapore.

Hope the above helps.

3. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Yes Doing fine. thanks. We will catch up one day. May be arrange for a meet!:idea

4. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Hi Vijee,

Good Idea. I am ready. I think Deepasri will also join us.

Let us wait for others.

Regards
    kamala.

5. psyche

psyche New IL'ite

Guys Thanks :)

We would like better maintained ;) at the same price

We have had an update that my husband's office area would be queens town and not CBD

Now suggestions please

BTW :) could you guys invite me for the meet but we will be in Singapore only in another few days .

6. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Hi psyche,

All are welcome, no need for any invitation. Last time , only 7 of us could make it. let us see this time.

Queenstown is a very good place. You will get good flat there.

It is advisable to go through an agent. You check with your husband colleagues.

7. madhumathi1974

madhumathi1974 Bronze IL'ite

Hi abhi,

Thankyou very much for your tips. yes as u said i too thought to take a flat near to school but then we tought it will be gud to take flat in between areas of both school and office. i have checked for schools near CBP but i couldnt get. if at all any school is there to ur notice pls tell me.

Abhi can u tell me howmuch time does it take for travelling from jurong to queenstown. if u know pls tell me so that i can estimate other things also. thankyou verymuch .

byee and takecare.

8. jwalitha

jwalitha New IL'ite

Moving to Sinagpore

Hi,

We are planning to move to Singapore from USA. We have no clue on how to start this move. Any help is appreciated. I have 4 and 7 year old kids. When will the school year starts in Singapore?
    Is it easy to get the school admissions?
    App how much amount a 4 member family have to spend?
    What is the tax percentage?
    Important question is "How will be the life in Singapore?"

Thanks,
    Jwalitha

9. dvvv

dvvv New IL'ite

Moving to singaproe from US

hi,
    I am new to this site.i wanted to know some information from people who have moved from US or are in singapore recently. Need to know how is the school GIIS. What are the good apartments close to this school and also the MRT?What can I expect in rent for a 2-3 Bedroom condo?

THe rent shown online looks very high. is that the current rent structure.

thanks,

10. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Re: Moving to Sinagpore

I cannot comment about schooling and taxation. I can tell you about the lifestyle here.

First you need to adjust to the weather here. It is always hot and sultry. Rentals are sky high. Public transport is the most sought after. They are crowded during the peak hours. That's cheap and food is also cheap. Some of the basic amenities like laundromat that's in the US is available here but is expensive here. You need to walk a lot. There isn't much of racisim here and work culture is very very professional. I'd say it leans towards the British system than the American system.

Indians and Indian goods are in abudence. You'll find tamilians all over. Actually this is home away from home. There isn't much of a difference between India and Singapore.

Last edited: May 15, 2010