Need Information on CAPM certification

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kalp, Apr 27, 2010.

1. kalp

kalp New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

My DH is planning to take the CAPM Certification, But before go for membership he needs some info..

1.Will they send study material after membership? and the material will be sufficient enough to write CAPM.

2. After Membership,is there any time constrain like in between he should finish exam?

3. Need to do some training or courses before writing exam?

Anyone who has relevant info on the same, Please update..

Thanks,
    Kalp

2. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Hi Kalp,

Is there any specific reason he is going for CAPM instead of PMP?
    The PMBOK guide will be sufficient for CAPM. If you do some search you will land on free copy of that book you may not even need to be PMI member.

Regarding eligibility:
    High School Diploma
    1,500 hours experience on a project management team
    OR
    23 hours of project management education
    is enough.

And the certification is valid for 5 yrs after which you have to retake the exam.

CAPM does not add much value when compared with PMP.

Materials:
    VelociTeach's The CAPM EXAM by Andy Crowe can serve as a preliminary read (book comes up with free practice exam pass) and after one gets the feel, PMBOK guide will be a sure material.

Hope this helps. Good Luck to your DH on his certification. :thumbsup

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

1.Will they send study material after membership? and the material will be sufficient enough to write CAPM.

They will send a CD with the guide which covers all CAPM syllabus. You can also buy specific course books or material available on other sites like amazon. If you want hardcopy books (I got the same CD for PMP)

2. After Membership,is there any time constrain like in between he should finish exam?

Exam is different, and membership is different. When you enroll for membership it would last for one year. Every year you may/may not renew the membership .If you renew the membership, it would help in saving some dollars when your husband plans to write PMP or other PMI exams as members get some discounts on the exams. Thats the use of keeping the membership current. But if he is not planning to take anymore exams from PMI he can stop renewing the membership. Also for members they would get some journal in the mail related to CAPM/PMP /Pgmp depending on which membership you register for.

You can take the final exam anytime you want to..but as said earlier, if you take the exam when your membership is active you get almost 100$ discount on the exam price. So register or submit application immediately after you take membership or couple of months before you plan to take membership.

3. Need to do some training or courses before writing exam?

See the requirements...usually they ask for certain contact hours or pdus. for PMP I remember its 40 contact hours or PDUs. But for CAPM they are asking for 23 hours. so there are sites which offer onlien courses to prepare for such CAPM/PMP exams. search in google for online training to prepare for these exams.They would ask the proof of study or those 23 hours of study/pdus. so you need to take some training for the same.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  4. kalp

kalp New IL'ite

:hiyaladies,

Thanks a ton for such valuable information ,now we can proceed further

for the same..thanks again:)

5. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

The details are available in http://www.pmi.org/CareerDevelopment/Pages/Obtaining-Credential.aspx.

I had done my PMP certification last year and as per my knowledge the CAPM is very similar to it. The main difference as I understand is that CAPM exam is less tough and also the years of experience required for applying for CAPM is less.

If he has sufficient experience , I would suggest that he does PMP certifcation. It is a more valued credential than CAPM. If I am not wrong, it is among Top 10 IT certifications.

6. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Agree with Reshsabu. If he meets the requirements for PMP exam, please ask him to go for PMP. It is a much more value-add than CAPM

-Lakshmi

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  7. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

And if he is going for PMP, the PMBOK guide alone will not be sufficient. But will form a good foundation. The validity period also differs. I think if he become a PMP chapter or something he can retain/renew past expiry.. the site would have clear data.
    Many yahoo groups are also there for both CAPM and PMP exam prep. He can collect tips and materials from the groups.

8. kalp

kalp New IL'ite

Yeah..Its very true PMP will add more value than CAPM..But you know he has a bit less experince for PMP :wink:

Now he is in dilemma whether wait for PMP or should go for CAPM :biglaugh

Let's see what he decides -:)

Thanks,
    Kalp

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

For PMP ,you need to have 35 hours of PDU and you should register yourself in PMI.ORG.Also, you need a professional degree +1500 Hours of project management experience within the past 3 years.

Once you complete your PDUs you can apply for your credentials and wait for the approval.Once the credentials are approved, pay the fees and schedule the exam.But you need to schedule the exam within one year of paying the fees.

Sometimes you might get an audit on your credential in which case your eligibility date resets automatically to the date of approval and you can schedule your exam before a year from there on.

10. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

If the waiting period to get the required exp isnt very long, i would suggest to wait and go for PMP.

-Lakshmi