Benefits of Haldi

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by Aparna77, Mar 30, 2010.

1. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

Friends,

There was an article on Turmeric/Haldi in the Hindustan Times of Sunday, April 25, 2010. I am sharing the article with you all. It affirms the discussion that we were having.

"Turmeric can keep you healthy

Hindustan Times
    Sun, Apr 25 11:20 AM
    New Delhi, April 24 -- Turmeric or haldi has so many medicinal properties that it is a wonder we still see it as a simple kitchen spice rather than as a herbal sensation. Haldi has been used in traditional Indian medicine for centuries, as a home remedy for sprains, swellings and wounds and to treat stomach ailments and infections.

It is such an efficient antibiotic that it not only kills dangerous bacteria in the human intestine when it's cooked with food, but can also neutralise parasites when applied as a paste on wounds. And adding haldi to dals is a simple way to allow the body to digest dal better - most dals are difficult to digest and cause gas.

In ancient India, all vaids and doctors used haldi to treat injuries and wounds. Those vaids knew what they were doing. Recently, Austrian scientists reported that haldi protects against liver damage that eventually causes cirrhosis. Curcumin, the active ingredient that gives turmeric its characteristic yellow colour, reduces inflammation that causes liver cell damage, blockage and scarring in eight short weeks, reported Gut, a British medical journal publication.

Turmeric has been used since ancient times to boost the body's immune response. In fact, it is one of the few spices allowed in khichri for babies above six months of age. In 2007, US researchers reported that curcumin helped stimulate the immune system cells among people who had Alzheimer's disease, slowing the progression of the degenerative disease. Later that year, Clinical Cancer Research reported that curcumin effectively blocked the activity of a gastrointestinal hormone implicated in the development of colorectal cancer. Since then, turmeric has been proven to prevent rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis that leads to bone loss.

Its anti-inflammatory properties were not only found to relieve the aches and pains of arthritis, but also prevent it, said the study in Arthritis and Rheumatism, the American College of Rheumatology journal. International studies have also shown it suppresses cancer tumours and that people who eat lots of turmeric are less prone to the disease even though curcumin loses its anti-cancer attributes quickly after being ingested.

In laboratory tests, haldi has also successfully killed and stopped the growth of melanoma skin cancer cells in laboratory tests.

So how do you include turmeric in your diet? Here's how: Add it to dals and vegetables Add it to milk for children, along with jaggery. Add it to rice or atta dough. It will give the foods a lemon colour Add it to stews and soups, especially if you have loose motions or any infection

Add it to milk if you have bruises and internal injuries."

2. JuhiAgarwal

JuhiAgarwal Senior IL'ite

Surfing through the forum, I came across this thread.

I would like to share some more info:

Uveitis is a kind of eye inflammation that affects the white outer layer of the eye and the retina. Turmeric is useful in treating inflammation of the uvea.

Haldi can be used for the treatment of nagging scalp problems like dandruff. Turmeric plant extracts are used as hair growth stimulators. It is also used as hair dyes and colorants.

Turmeric is a source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, niacin, manganese, iron, potassium, magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids, omega 6 fatty acids and phytosterols.

Turmeric is a very effective remedy for skin disorders like discoloration, dryness, spots and acne.

3. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Having a bite of a Haldi Rhizome with “gur” or sugar in empty stomach is very beneficial for the liver and skin. The antiseptic and antibacterial properties of Haldi work wonders if taken in empty stomach.

You can mix turmeric with your face cream or moisturizer and apply the mixture on problem areas. A face pack can be made by combining sandalwood and milk with haldi. This pack rejuvenates the skin and improves the quality and complexion of the skin, if used regularly. You can also use Besan in this pack.

Haldi is also helpful in smallpox and chickenpox.

4. MamtaAgr

MamtaAgr New IL'ite

My aunt suffers from Rheumatoid Arthritis - I was telling her about this thread...

5. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi friends,

this thread really rocks. numerous benefits r listed. i have already started adding more turmeric in the food. but the food aldultration factor in turmeric powder makes me to rethink.

6. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

Dear Shree,

Do not add the powdered turmeric that comes in packets... Use the Haldi Rhizomes that look like small gingers from outside..

7. vdhya

vdhya New IL'ite

Very informative.. i thought haldi is used only for cooking!!