Women's Reservation Bill

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by amritversha, Jun 20, 2009.

1. amritversha

amritversha New IL'ite

[justify]We might be having a variety of views on this subject, but would request that the basic issues raised in my post initiating this thread may not please be lost sight of. Promulgation of reservation and quota seems to have become a habit - an easy way out and a matter from which political mileage can be drawn - of our politicians. The core issue is that whether it adequately serves the purpose for which it is intended for, and at a reasonable social cost, or makes the vulnerable groups permanently dependant on reservation. Personally I think that by providing quotas the State's responsibility to develop all citizens and bringing them into the mainstream gets shoved under the carpet while the social cost of such intervention is very high.[/justify]

2. Anusss

Anusss New IL'ite

The following is now in a new thread
    (Sorry I could not notice this forum before)
    It is said that there is no better alternative than the present Reservation System to empower those who are under-privileged under our Constitution. But I see several alternatives and strongly feel that this forum should initiate discussion on such alternatives. For example to empowerwomen in society..... [​IMG]

alternative 1: Every vote polled by a women candidate will be given weightage of 1.5 or 2 or whatever deemed as necessary. If it is 1.5 then in an election in which a male candidate has secured 1500 votes will be declared elected only if awomen candidate contesting him has not secured 1000 or more vote. If the preference is for 33%, equivalent weightage can be 1.33. By this scheme all parties will be encouraged to field awomen candidate.

alternative 2 : If we have to empower the voter directly than to facilitate the candidates, we can say that a vote cast by a women will attract additional weightage. This is possible for our election booths have clear segregation for women and men voters by way of separate queues. It will be differently programmed voting machine by this scheme for women voters.

There are also several other alternatives possible But these two alternatives have significant benefit that will end all the evils of presentReservation schemes. It may sound that this is against 'uniform adult franchisee'. But it is not so. These schemes can also be extended to Reservation for SCs & STs. This alternative will be flexible and all the apprehension expressed by Yadav trios and Mamta didi on Reservation will have a good solution in this.

Women will also be contesting against men and winning them here. What is the use of contest between women for empowering women?[​IMG]

3. VIJIAN

VIJIAN New IL'ite

Please analyse

Anusss idea is very good. It is something that women should demand! Please post your comments please to evolve something from this idea.

4. shahkriti0

shahkriti0 New IL'ite

Hey frens, I don't have any personal opinion on it. But I read an article on Jaya Jaitley in the Femina Magazine's April issue where she says that she believes that the Bill will create more problems than solve them. Political parties should have 33 per cent reservation for women within the party itself.
    What's your say on it?