1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to make 6yr old to focus

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by tinker, Apr 6, 2010.

1. tinker

tinker New IL'ite

Hi mothers..

my 6yr old son does not focus on anything. I am not only complaining about studies but even playing with new toys also , he just plays for 5 mins and says he is done. my husband says he was like that when he was young.

can u please give me some ideas how to make him sit at one place and concentrate and focus.

tinker

2. jayanaresh

jayanaresh Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    This Attention deficicency Problem.
    During pregnancy - you were very anxious? very tensed up?
    This affects the baby.

Ok this is not a big deal. Give more attention to him. Spend more time with him. Tell him again and again that you love him and He is very Important to u.

He will come around slowly. Otherwise there are some Homeopathy medicines are there for this attention deficiency. It helps a lot.

But take a action before it is too late......

Regards
    Mrs.N:thumbsup

3. Ruhi

Ruhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Jaya,

are you a doctor ?
    Reading a mom's concern , you are giving her answer which heads to worries for all Family.
    We see kids in parks or in schools ,who hardly concentrate or sit still for some time...it doesn't mean they all have ADHD or ADD..
    Sorry , if i have mentioned anything wrong here....................

Ruhi

4. Ruhi

Ruhi Senior IL'ite

Hi tinker,

Sometimes unknowingly we force them to do the things which we like.
    There must be something which make him focus.
    I'm sure, you must be trying to find it out.
    One more thing in parenting is sharing views & experiences with other parents, it's always helps to solve the problems.

Happy parenting !
    Ruhi

5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    Is his lack of focus a concern only at home or does his school report the same? If it is only at home, it may be that he has a fully engaging day at school and is trying to unwind.

Try using a kitchen timer for the amount of time you want him to spend on an activity-start with a reasonable challenge (10 mts as opposed to 30 mts). Remind him before the start of the activity that he has to stay in place and work on the activity until the timer goes off. Once the timer goes off let him have his choice of activity.

Using checklist to see what activities he does is also a good idea-this and reward systems are also good. I see people confusing rewards with 'bribe.' These charts (stars, stickers) serve as visual reminders of their positive behaviors.

R

6. Sleepy

Sleepy New IL'ite

Hi Tinker,

It is very common for young boys to have difficulty with focusing, some cases may be do to ADHD, but I'd say it's more common otherwise. If your husband says he was the same way, I wouldn't worry as much.

For a while I really thought my son had issues with attention, my husband would tell me he was the same but I didn't really believe him. On our most recent trip to India, his entire family on different occasions, commented on how my child's behaviour is exactly how my husband used to be as a child. My husband's a doctor now and did great in high school and college, so I feel a bit better now.

Sorry to digress, I wouldn't expect for than 10 or 15 min of schoolwork or playtime with one particular item. My son is almost 6yrs and I only expect 5-10 min of concentration of him at a time.

That said, if your just a bit worried, I'd relax, but if you really have a strong gut feeling that something is wrong (a mother's instinct is best), then I would have him evaluated by your pediatrician.

7. Sleepy

Sleepy New IL'ite

There are a set of 10 or so descriptions on a checklist used by doc's to diagnose ADHD along with a physical work-up. I wouldn't jump to this conclusion simply by a couple of sentences written about a child on the internet.

I can see your only trying to help with advice, but honestly, any mother can think of times when they are tense or upset during their pregnancy, then to correlate it with the child's behaviour now really can just add more stress.

Just my thoughts, not trying to offend.

8. tinker

tinker New IL'ite

Thanks guys, for a ur support and advices...

after reading ur views i got my answer, my son is always first in class and his teacher says he is best student and he helps other kids around..and i was expecting him to be like that always ...

now as teacher suggested i will follow the timer thing when i think he is not really listening...

thanks guys once again...