1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to convince my daughter?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Gooseberry, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

We are planning to go to India for good this summer and thinking of booking tickets. If we go one week before the school closes the tickets are working out cheaper than if we go after the school closes.
    My daughter, 11 yrs old, does not agree to go before the school closes. Till now she has perfect attendance and by the time we go (one week before the school closes) the counting period for awarding perfect attendance will be done. The last 3 weeks are not considered so she will not miss getting the certificate. She may also get some awards for some subjects too.
    But the awards day is on the last day of school and she wants to be there to receive the award.
    Even if she is not there, her dad can collect it for her and send it to us. The schools in India start 2 weeks after we go if we wait till the last day which is the awards day, but I am thinking if we go little early like one more week early then they (11yr old and 7yr old daughter) will get time to adjust to the climate and other things.

Suggest me some solution here.

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

gooseberry,

since this is a major change for her i mean to move to a different place and not coming back to her friends and school... then i would simply give in to her. if the ticket price is not that different, this is her last chance perhaps to be at the awards day.

3. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

I would second Latha. There are several things that she needs to get adjusted to, back in India. so i would suggest you fulfill this wish of hers - afterall receiving so many awards is a great achievement she wouldn't want to miss. you can also think about you and the younger one get back as per plan, and let her be with her dad for the next 2-3 weeks,.. if thats possible.

4. Sleepy

Sleepy New IL'ite

:iagree

The end of a school year can be so very important to a girl your daughter's age. This is especially true if she will be leaving her friends here behind forever and embarking on a new life, new school, new place, etc.

She's probably worked hard during the school year, the last week is usually less stressful, more fun, etc, and a good way to end things.

If it's possible to allow her to finish the year, I would encourage it. While she may have less time to acclimate before starting school in India, it may still be less difficult than having the feeling of leaving things unfinished here.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Gooseberry,

you brought back memories with your query.

been there and done that mistake parent..

Both my children did feel so bad for almost 2/3 months when i did the mistake of not waiting for the annual day ceremony. my son was getting outstanding student award and some other certificates, apart from the 100% attendance (he had lot of health problems and inspite of that tried for that so hard.) the same with my DD. we moved back in the same age group as your kids are now. though the kids did not mind then, I still regret my decision.

Talk to your daughters. if only their acclimatisation is the problem, you will be surprised that they will tell you it is not going to matter. and give her the choice and not force your opinion

6. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

Thanks traveller,ashakarthik,sleepy and Shanvy.
    You are right! The last week especially, is very fun week and important for kids. I know that no matter what I cannot bring back that week for them in their life and since my older dd is trying so hard for 100% attendance and keeping fingers crossed for some other academic awards, I think it is only fair for me to wait till school closes. I have talked to her and she is happy with my decision.

OK finally I decided I will book my tickets for May 23rd ie., 2 days after school closes (May 21st). I am yet to book, may be tomorrow I will call the travel agent.