Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 3)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Aswini, now tell me. Is brown rice equivalent to our Khadhi Hand pounded rice??
    I love spicy pulaos with plain curds!!:tongue
    Thanks & love,
    Chithra

2. Chitvish

Dear Shan, yes for jelly. But custards may be slimy & lose shape.
    Home grown mint is simply superb! Ever since we shifted out of an independent bungalow, these have become past & forgotten pleasures for me! But no regrets.
    In life, I am a great follower of
    This too shall pass!
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Dear Maami,

I think they are little different. Pure brown rice has the bran ( fibre ) intact. Only the husk is removed. In hand pounded rice, the bran is also removed partially I think. Thats what I read. In any case, it is better than white rice since it has atleast partial bran.

I haven't seen it personally but have you seen kaar arisi. I think it is supposed to have the bran also. I remember my science teacher telling that it is better than white rice. I didn't know what he meant at that time because I never listened to him :rotfl. But it might have been brown rice.

Thanks,
    Aswini

4. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Dearest aunty,

Yestardays dinner was "Mattar Paneer". Didn't have paneer so made with tofu (I should call it mattar tofu). I usually take only 2 rotis but mattar tofu made me long for more and more, but made only 8 total so couldn't get enough of it :-(. But its definitely a keeper, a party dish as well as a rich dish that can be made as a change for normal sambar-rasam days. Indeed it didn't take me more than 30-40 mins to make the whole thing. With Raji's tips phulkas were done in 10 mins. What more do I need?

-Uma

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  5. NISHA BALAJI

NISHA BALAJI Senior IL'ite

Dear mam....

The friday eve dinner was COORG IDLI with tomato chutney...
    The maavu looked so much angel white...The idli was really soft and i loved the tinge of sweet in it too..
    Thankyou so much

Luv
    Nisha

6. Chitvish

Yes, aswini. It is just like the difference between, refined & unrefined food products, the latter claimed to be better.
    What is available in Chennai as khar arisi is idli puzungal arisi - we get rose khar & white khar! As far as I know, it has no bran!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  7. Chitvish

Dear Uma, any dish that I give with paneer can be tried with tofu also.
    Mattar Paneer
    IS undoubtedly a party dish!! This version is less common, definitely.
    Raji's phulka method is a varaprasadam for busy career girls like you!!
    Three cheers to Raji for taking all pains to send me SBS. Just remember, it takes two for SBS - not always feasible!
    Thanks& love,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

Dear Nish, this is a super recipe
    Coorg idli & Easy tomato chutney

It is so soft & spongy. Because we add fruit salt, it is fool proof as well. I earnestly hope more ladies try it!:idea
    Thanks & love,
    Chithra

9. shipika

shipika New IL'ite

Dear Chitra Amma,

I have a list of Fb's to share, i have been trying all your treasures time & again.

karamani Ghasi : Very Tasty and flavorful way of cooking Karamani. we literally
    drank this one.
    Jackfruit Payasam and Caramel payasam ..... made both of them on the same day,had many rounds of it .....alternating as well as mixing it together.:)
    Kanchipuram Idli .... This was after seeing Raji's picture .... we loved it for the pepper taste and the Aroma of ghee in it.
    Kovil Dosai - Another classic and needs very less effort.
    Beetroot chops :- This is quite a rage in IL these days..... defn makes justice..... its good to learn a new way to cook beetroot:thumbsup.

Today for dinner made Tomato Pulav along with Baked aloo roast..... it was so yummy .... a perfect Comfort dinner.

Thanks for sharing all these recipes with us.

P.S Coorg idli look so delicious esp the white colour invites me to try it ! Will be back with a FB for it.

love
    shipika

10. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

My dear Chithra,

Today I made Thenga Bun in the evening. I used plain coconut-sugar filling for thenga buns. The buns were so delicious. When I was a kid I used to love the thega buns that we get in the local bakery. It bought back some nostalgic memories of my childhood days. The buns that I made today tasted similar to the ones served in that bakery.

I divided the dough into two portions and made Plaited Bread with the other portion. The bread making was totally enjoyable and we all had a very tasty and filling dinner along with a cup of masala moore. Thank you very much for another tasty recipe.

I am attaching the pictures of both savoury and sweet buns for your viewing pleasure.

Love and regards
    Priya

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.