1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Why is it so hard to even get an internship as a Masters in US ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Apr 9, 2010.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I have been applying as an electrical engineer. Aprt from biggies like Intel, Microsoft or Apple which like Ivy Leaguers, it's hard to find an internship and eventually a job in USA. I have been applying. Any tips to share ?
    I am on Likned in. I have networked well and my GPA is 3.9.
    I constantly see skills match and GPA match on job postings and interview calls, but the employer is lethargic when it comes to hiring International students.
    Any experience looking for jobs here?

2. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

MeenLoch,
    The answer is the economy. In a bad economy like what we are having right now with 10% unemployment, it is tough even for people with experience to get work. Also depends on where you are in the US. Some places have more opportunities in certain fields.

In the meantime you could volunteer to work for free so that you can atleast put the experience on your resume. That way when the economy improves you will have a better shot. Also, it will give you some real world experience. Do not worry, lot of us have been there. This too shall pass.

Hopefully you do not have visa issues.

Good luck
    -BA

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

That was encouraging. Thanks BA.

4. pebblebeach

pebblebeach Senior IL'ite

Hi BeeAmma,
    Can you tell me where to look for volunteer work in computer field. I'm also looking for a job. So would like to consider all options. Please let me know where to look for one. I live in bay area.

Thanks

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I think may be the economy is the reason. things will definitely ease after 1 year. Like BeeAmma has said, try to volunteer.I think you can look at small sized firm too. MAy be they will hire. Anyway, you have OPT/CPT period ,right? Utilize this to work until you find someone as H1B sponsor.
    Good Luck

6. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

pebblebeach,
    Craigslist is a good starting point.

7. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

Yes volunteering is the answer I guess to this bad economy.Work your best when your volunteer and people will be forced to hire you against all odds..be it the economy itself...
    Every sunset is follwed by a sunrise..so wait for the dawn!!..be optimistic and it shows up where ever you go whatever you do..

Goodluck!!:cheers