Stretch Marks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by megha, May 25, 2005.

1. 4mangopeople

4mangopeople Silver IL'ite

Re: how to prevent stretch marks?

Hi sprightee

Good luck in advance. Pregnancy is one of the most beautiful experiences in a woman's life, but not stretch marks. As a rule drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated, to keep your skin elastic. Olive oil, almond oil, castor oil, avocado oil, Vitamin E oil, peanut butter oil, lanolin oil, aloe vera and wheat germ oil are excellent products to be massaged on the stretch marks.

Your diet plays a major role in preventing the stretch marks, Go for a healthy balanced diet of vitamins A, E and C rich foods like fruits and vegetables, fish liver oils, eggs, beans and almonds etc helps prevent and heal stretch marks.

Moderate exercises prescribed by your physician would also help.

2. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sprightee,

Welcome to IL!!! And COngratulations!!!

You can apply baby oil daily before bathing whole of your tummy and do alittle massage. this will help you in you blood circulation too also help you in avoiding stretch marks. you can apply baby lotion also as and when you feel itching. Never scratch you tummy. You can reduce the stretch marks cant avoid it fully.

ALL THE BEST !!!

3. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

How to avoid stretch marks during pregnancy?
    * Tip 1 : Take hot water bath. It opens the pores of the skin. It also helps in strengthening the epidermis which further diminishes the appearance of stretch marks.
    * Tip2: Massage the vulnerable areas at least once in a day.The pregnancy stretch marks are mainly formed on the breast, upper arms, lower belly, hips and thighs. You must massage all these portions at least once a day during these 9 months. Those who can take out time can also do it twice. For this you should use natural and organic oils such as tea tree oil, castor oil, vitamin E oil, aloe vera gel, olive oil, almond oil, she butter, cocoa butter, etc.
    * Tip 3: Have lots of water. Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water every day. It keeps your skin hydrated & glowing.
    * Tip 4: Have lots of zinc and vitamin A, C & E in your food. They should try having a good amount of vitamin A, C & E in their meals. They compensate the collagen of the skin and make it more elastic.
    * Tip 5 : Use stretch mark creams. You can choose to apply natural & organic creams. These are a fine blend of natural products that prove fruitful in curing & preventing these scars caused due to pregnancy. Captiva is an effective stretch marks cream that contains natural ingredients such as shea butter, licorice extract, aloe vera, Palmitolyl Tetrapeptide-7 and Phyllanthus Emblica Fruit Extract. This ointment not only eliminates these marks but it also prevents various other skin complications such as hyper pigmentation, age spots and freckles.

4. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

You have to act early .. you can try and prevent them - you cannot erase them!!

so apply vitamin e oil / olive oil -- on your belly, hips, butt, lower back, breasts, upper arms.. massage massage massage.. DONT SCRATCH it makes the skin weak and more prone to the marks..

5. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

I think your diet during pregnancy plays an important role in avoiding stretch marks. I for one, do NOT have stretch marks!

I always stay on the lower side of the ideal weight range and during pregnancy, I gained 40lbs !
    But my skin bounced back really quick after delivery. It regained its elasticity. No stretch marks. I applied no creams or oil -anything before or after whatsoever..

But I had a very balanced diet during pregnancy. I drank a lot of water, milk , banana, oats, fish, kale, spinach and all such healthy food. exercise combined with healthy diet & breast feeding the baby for the whole year helped me loose all extra weight to reach my pre-pregnancy weight and regain my shape by the first year with NO stretch marks. Yes ladies, it is very much possible.

The key is to gain weight during pregnancy by eating ONLY healthy food. It is easy to lose the weight if it is not contributed by junk fatty/oily fast foods.. And that could be a reason for my skin not to lose it's elasticity and hence no stretch marks.. that is all I can point my fingers at in my case..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  6. september

september Bronze IL'ite

stretch marks also depend on your genetics ...
    if the skin is more elastic then you probably would not get stretch marks ..
    i think this is the main reason.....
    also the massaging with oils might help to reduce the severity of these.

i am trying these during my second pregnancy .... lets see how much it helps .

7. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

:exactly:My mom has a great skin. Lucky me. Also balanced diet is not to be underestimated. Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  8. sprightee

sprightee New IL'ite

Hi All,
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    I'm gifted with a baby girl.

I applied olive oil and castor oil, massaged the tummy daily and included healthy diet.

And i'm able to see the impact already :2thumbsup:

Thanks,
    Sprightee

9. sreepadmav

sreepadmav Junior IL'ite

i use olive oil daily after bath. I know it cant be avoided but it hope i will improve the elasticity and make it less :S

10. rohinimrinalsin

rohinimrinalsin New IL'ite

stretch marks......plz help...

hi all,
    I am 32 weeks pregnant....3 weeks back stretch marks started occurring on my belly, especially in the region under my navel..... I was continuously moisturizing those areas...but even though these marks appeared.... i am very happy with my pregnancy.....but these stretch marks are spoiling my mood and making me tense.......

my husband is in armed forces.....so i visit armed forces clinic for consultation and my gynae who is a male doctor (he is a very very good surgeon) and he keeps telling me that it will take time but will diminish in due course of time.....i cant wait for that long....

what should i do?......:hide:

how can i remove those stretch marks..? :crazy

Last edited: May 20, 2011