1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What a situation I am in?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by seema24, Apr 4, 2010.

1. seema24

seema24 New IL'ite

My dh , I can rate him a less than average when it comes to being religious.
    One of you said to move away from inlaws. We are not staying with inlaws now. We had registered marriage with my family and few friends and his siblings. His parents were not happy with their son marrying me and marriage being held this way....registered. Anyway, lot of drama at his place and finally he could not bring them. His siblings came along and also few friends.

I married him because I love him. For me, religion is not something I see before I love a person. I considered him pretty outspoken, broad minded and someone whom I can match to. Now, he is getting pressurized from his family and he started feeling that pressure. They started saying that if he continues without paying heed to them then he will be cut off from the family. I understand the situation too and how hard it is but I told him he was supposed to expect all that since he knows his parents better. I said it would be such an unfortunate and shameful thing to happen if we got separated only because of the foolish thing I call it as 'religion', after we know how much we love each other.

As for me I love him and will continue so if he does not bring up this issue. I cannot just tolerate this not because I am a stickler to my religion but because I see it as breaking a promise, not keeping your word. I was devastated when I first heard this but now slowly getting to normal and gaining my ground on how to deal with this.

I cannot tell him how to deal with his family because I hardly know them. His parents don't talk to me much. When I went to their house after marriage, I was treated well, they were courteous and nice but very very less interaction in terms of speaking one on one. I went 2 times in 6 months now. We are busy with our lives and they with theirs too. We hardly meet.

I asked him what he thinks if we got separated only because of this issue. He said he loves me to the core and will never let that happen. I know that he is sincere when he says this. I remember couple of times while in courtship he said he loves me so much wants to accept me as it is and will not ask me to change as some people do. He does not agree asking someone to change their identity to be loved.

Coming to the present, when he brought this up I asked him where are his promises and his principles now? Haven't you thought when you spoke to me earlier? He feels bad for asking me. He is kind of in a fix......wants to please his parents and keep his promise to me. He knows very well only one thing can be achieved in this and he needs to choose.

After our conversation on this, he has become extremely sad and I know how he feels now. I am not disturbing him anymore. These days we both are very silent and things seem to be going on just mechanically. I know I cannot continue avoiding the situation and so just waiting some more time to hear from him. I love him and hate to lose him but I cannot tolerate a person who backs off from his promise too. As a person, he is very good, and as my husband he makes a wonderful one whom I can brag about days together. He is overall a gem of a person.....whom I am so proud to call my husband.

I have told him what I have to and left it there. I am waiting for his answer and his decision.

Rihana, I for one am not religious and he is also not that religious kind. Really, I would never have married an orthodox person because I know the adjustments that need to be made later. When I say orthodox, I mean even if it was Hindu man, I would have backed off from an overly religious types because for me religion is very personal and that should not be the EVERYTHING in your life, it should not dictate your life each and every day.
    I love my GOD and end of the chapter. I don't want to go on and on with rituals to show how much I love HIM. I dislike rituals....be it in any religion. I talked at length about this while we were dating and how open-minded he was then. I felt we perfectly match.

No-interest in his religion means I am not willing to change and start learning about his religion because I am not really interested in any religious things. I think life is too short to take up that subject. I told this very very clearly to him and he was OK then. I even told him when kids come into picture, I really don't care if he wished to bring them according to his religion because I love my children as they are no matter what religion/practices. I would definitely have learned some practices for my kids sake but asking me to change now is not keeping his word......IMO!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Seema,

He understands your problem but still he want you to convert to convince his parents. If you convert to his religion, next demand will come - practicing his religion. It is too hard to take up a new religion.

I think you both should live separately from your in-laws to avoid further interferences.

My best friend [she is hindu] married a Christian man. She was asked to convert to his religion since marriage has to be in church for which both bride and groom should be Christians. She converted for namesake but she is not practicing his religion. They are married for 2years and living happily. Converting will be fine but practicing the religion is different.

Think about it and take a wise decision. Do not think about separation just because of religion. You still have beautiful days to live!!! :)

3. Sunny3

Sunny3 New IL'ite

Is this true? Tridev?
    Really scary if it is. What nonsense is this? Can you please send any link if you have with you?
    Whatever it is, it is sheer stupidity. What is happening? Why are people bent on spoiling innocent lives?

Like spiderman even I strongly criticised '12adityas' in that earlier thread and I am now SHOCKED to read this. I hope it is not true.

4. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Kerala HC wants probe into 'love jihad'

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/KJ28Df05.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...en-accused-of-waging-love-jihad-in-India.html

1 person likes this.
  5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

6. Sunny3

Sunny3 New IL'ite

Thanks Tridev for the links.

Government should curb this here and not let innocent lives be ruined. Laws should be stringent on such matters.

Losers!!! Who use something as pure as LOVE for their ulterior motives!!

It has become hard to even trust someone who has true love in him/her. How can one feel safe when they are in love with someone from the other religion?
    So, does that mean to keep away from people from different religions?
    They say 'love is blind'.
    Why should these girls be punished like this, just because they loved someone?
    Where is the solution to all this?

7. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

Dear Seema,
    Hugs and love to you girl.Mysuggestion: Stick to your original plan and do not convert under any circumstances.

He may be getting pressurised but I am sure he is a very brave man (to go against them in the first place) and he can face his parents.He will take care of it.You don't worry about that.

To Sharmilee: Its hard to bring child up in 2 religions so I think both can convert to Buddhism or her DH can convert to Hinduism.

To Tridev: I know what you are saying is true.When I was a divorcee....at least 15 ppl approached me to get married through internet or otherwise.They think its easy if girls are desperate.

Religion has caused war and communal riots.According to me its best if everyone follows their own religion and don't bother others.

FL

8. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

Dear Seema,

My hugs and love to you girl. I too had an inter religious marriage. I am Christian, whereas my DH is Hindu. There are something that you really need to think before you enter into a relationship with a person who is NOT from your religion.

You cannot judge someone's devoutness based on their physical apprarences or social behaviour. I am someone who doesn't go to church everyday, doesn't walk with bible and rosary in hand, doesn't talk about gospel and religious stuff all the time... Sometime, my aunts say I am not religious as I never relate religion into my personal life... But indeed I am overly religious than everyone at my home.. For me, religion is my life.
    I look so modern, I even go to Hindu temples, Budhist temples with my friends, and celebrate their festivels happily.. It doesn't make me any less of my devoutness on Christianity.

So comming to your case, just because you THINK, religion is a very small matter in your life, doesn't mean everyone has to follow the same philosophy.
    Also, just because your husband looks modern, and talks broad minded, doesn't mean he is not religious.

It is very bad that your DH has changed his words after marriage.... But, infact I don't relly on words/promisses, because people tend to forget their promisses when they are in trouble. All what matter is your LOVE.

You can't keep on challenging that he has changed his words.. It will eventually irritate him. He knows that he is breaking his promisses, so no need to remind this to him all the time.

Tell him that you are not comfortable in converting to any religion. But you can show more interest towards his religion and help him practice his religion in a proper way.
    I mean celebrating his festivels together with him, participating in his spritual things, learning his religion, and adjusting your schedules as per his religious needs Eg.. During Ramadan fasting period, you can help him to observe his fasting by preparing foods as per his timings ( i mean, you need to prepare food so early in the morning... more adjustments etc...etc...)

Also remind him that there is no point in converting to his religion just for the name sake only. If you convert yourself to Islam and continue to practice Hindusm, then it is no less than a cheating.. Cheating the God.

One should convert the religion with their whole heart and mind, not by forcibly. So ask him to wait until you feel OK to practice and convert to his religion whole heartedly. It may happen, may not happen, but this is what the agreement between you guys before marriage. So, he can not force you.

Don't be emotional.. Don't fight, don't argue over this matter...

Come a step down, and make him comfortable by ensuring that you will make a real MUSLIM WIFE to your husband by all the possible ways. It includes respecting his religion, allowing him to practice his religion and festivels without any hinderence, raising children as per his wishes, learning and observing his religious rituals together with him, and making him comfortable at his home with his religious matters. But it doesn't mean you should convert your religion for the name sake. Ask him to wait until you feel comfortable to accept his request.

It should be easy, as you are not overly religious and do not want to practice yours at home (i guess). And your DH seems loving and understanding... It might be because of the ILs pressure...

Do not let your ILs play a game in your life.

9. vanijacob

vanijacob New IL'ite

dear Mithy
    My dh is a christian and I'm an hindu. We had a church wedding.I didn't have to convert. I'm still a practising hindu.

As per the christian marriage law, it requires that only one person has to be a christian.The non christian is not required to convert, instead you will just have to meet the priest and sign a form stating that you will allow your spouse to continue practising christianity and you will bring up your children as christians.

I had seen your post in a similar thread where you mentioned that you will have to convert to christianity to marry your fiance in the church. I jus thought I shud let you know this.

good luck
    vani

10. Tara09

Tara09 New IL'ite

He was all open-minded 6 months to a year back and now all of a sudden shuts down his brain completely!!! Nonsense!!

In the first place, he never was open minded as OP thinks. That was all talk then which is very easy for anyone to do but when it comes to stick to it, he doesn't want to do it and suddenly remembers his mama and papa........ridiculous!!!
    What do such guys achieve in their life.......they spend whole of their lives pleasing religion at the cost of breaking their loved one's heart??....someone save them please!!
    It was all to get married to this innocent girl and then later show his true self!!......:rant

OP; Stick to what you believe in.......your original decision. Today, he backs off here, tomorrow he can bring up something else and then later you can be caged in the house forcibly forever. Never know!!
    Why not nip it now in the bud? Either he gives up his foolish demand to live with you or walks away.