1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Gem show is it really genuine and worth to buy??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by radk, Apr 4, 2007.

1. radk

radk New IL'ite

hi
    i am new to buying jewellery , i had seen of a gem show coming to tx but i am not sure whether is it really good to buy r the products genuine ??????:idontgetit: is it is better to buy from india .... are they cheap ???i am interested in corals and rubies , real stones only
    has anyone any experience buying them and is it good / how much do u need to make a bracelet / small necklace planning to buy for my sister and mil too
    any answers will be greatly appreciated

thanks
    rads

2. jivk

jivk New IL'ite

Hi :)
    im from aosuth austin. i also doubt whether the stuff fro the international gem show is genuine. can anyone help? Has anyone bought b4?

3. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

In the Gem show u could buy jades,garnet,corals,Rubies,Emaralds,pearls.These are the beeds normally indians will be interested in.Iam not sure of other varities of beeds.

Rubies : And for Rubies there will be 2 types.one is in darker shade and in one lighter shade.Please for the darker shaded rubies.The are the best ones in Rubies.Buy them in strings and buy readymade uncut diamonds+rubies with gold pendants which are available in india.
    Corals:In corals there will be many varieties like Pink,Red corals,white.Those are corals in diffrent shades.Take any of ur choice..they are available in tulip flower shapes,rose flower shapes,ovals,round etc..These tulip flowers,rose flowers shaped ones u can buy,along with jade leaves and both together u can make many varieties of necklaces sets,pendant sets with bangles/bracelets etc using gold when u go to india.

Pearls :U get pearls in all sizes,shapes like tulip flowers hape,rose slower shapes.These also can be mixed with jade leaves to make necklaces sets etc.

These all i know about these beeds and i took and got them done.All my cousins here got them done 10 years back and they are good.

And anyone know something more about the gems here,please share so that we can get to know more about them..

-Cheers,
    -Vaishu

4. jivk

jivk New IL'ite

thanks vaishu

5. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

Try jaipurjewellers.com in new jersey.

6. ranrags

ranrags New IL'ite

Hello Ladies..We used to live in Houston..before moving to Michigan..in Houston..we were there for a long time..there we have gone to many gem shows and bought beautiful stuffs..like Jade..corals..garnets..cubic zirconia(which we call american diamonds in India)and other things too..the only thing is..you need to have knowledge of how to buy them..and test them wether they r genuine..and by the way..you get beads of different sizes..especially the big ones u don't get them in India..and the jewellers in India say the same thing too!!

7. sarita2

sarita2 New IL'ite

hi frnds,
    i baught a lot of stuff for theses gem shows i bought pearls,corals,jades
    my mom showed them in jewelry store and they said that they are absolutely genuine..and gud in quality...so just know some basics how to buy and go ahead..

8. mummadisunitha

mummadisunitha New IL'ite

Hi,
    I want to know how much cost will be there for corals and jades.i want to buy these corals to my sister.please help me how to select corals.I saw pearls r getting in walmart,kamrt etc from $20 to $300 range..which to buy?
    Thanking You,
    Suntiha

9. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I had brought lots of pearls , which were very good.
    But ruby, emerald beads were fake.

~Punitha

10. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

From what little I know of gem stones, one thing is to be noted. When it comes to Ruby and Emerald, u will find 2 types. One is lab created one and the other the original one, there will be price difference too. The lab created ones look beautiful, shiny and all, and the original ones, have less lustre to them, and look a bit dull, and are on the milky looking side.