1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cherry Blossom Festival- Drive from Philly

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Goodwill, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Goodwill

Goodwill Senior IL'ite

Dear ILites,

Could any one suggest how to reach the Cherry Blossom Festival from PHiladelphia through car. We are planning to drive early in the morning. Is it better to start early (between 5 - 6 A.M) so that we could avoid traffic congestion. Also please suggest parking areas as I am having 2 small kids. We are planning for April 1st or 2nd for the trip (peak bloom period).
    Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Dilchahtahai

Dilchahtahai Senior IL'ite

Hi, If you plan on going in a week day, be ready to face the traffic. Even if you leave at 5 am from Philly, by the time you get into Washington DC, it would be close to 9 am and the traffic inside DC is really crazy. However, on a weekday chances are you would be able to get the parking near the trees and dont have to walk too much. Otherwise, you would have to find either a meter parking in area surrounding the trees (National Mall etc.) or park even farther. Meters are for two hours only so you would have to remember to come back and put more money if you need more time. However, in my experience, its not so bad. You should still be able to find parking an enjoy. Else, on the weekend, the traffic would be better but parking maybe a little more difficult to find.

3. Goodwill

Goodwill Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the quick response Delmommy!

4. Goodwill

Goodwill Senior IL'ite

Re: Cherry Blossom Festival - for lunch

Dear Delmommy and Friends,

I need another help.. Do you have any choices for us to eat outside (not really expensive) during cherry blossom festival. It would be helpful if you could provide both vegetarian (any pizza eateries/Subway should be good) and non-veg fast food joints (such as McDonalds, Burger King should be good). Thanks!

5. AnithaSrinivas

AnithaSrinivas New IL'ite

Hi..
    Even we are driving from philly to cherry blossom this weekend.
    Initially we thought we will start saturday early morning by 3 or 4am, so we could be there around 7 or 8am. Its advised to go at dawn to avoid crowds..we have 2kids and their breakfast will become an issue..so we are starting by friday night and stay overnight at residence inn, and on saturday have breakfast and go to tidal basin by 7-7.30am..this is our first visit to dc, but our plans are only for jefferson, lincoln memorial and MT.Vernon

6. Goodwill

Goodwill Senior IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

Yours seem to be a nice plan. We are planning to go on Sunday. Let's wait for other ILites to come up with their suggestions (for food options).:)

Have a nice trip and enjoy the festival!:thumbsup

7. New12

New12 New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    even me and my husband are also planning to go to cherry blossom festival this weekend from reston. Hope we'll have a nice time.
    Have a nice trip :)

8. AnithaSrinivas

AnithaSrinivas New IL'ite