1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Old age

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Mar 29, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Everyone has to become old one day. But if we keep our heart young always, always keep smiling and dont take any tensions and have good health then we dont become old.

Senior people like to be respected and feel that youngsters should listen to their advises. They feel very disheartened when the youngsters hurt their feelings. In young age we dont understand the seniors feelings and unknowingly sometimes hurt them. As we grow old and get matured only we understand everything. Usually senior people will tell the youngsters you will know when you become old now you are young and healthy so you wont understand.

When a woman gets married at young age and at the right time then she willhave children at the right age and by the time she reaches her old age she gets the help of the children and she is able to take rest. Some after doing the work from young age feel like taking rest and expect the children to take care of them and they feel like taking rest. But some like to work till the end and dont expect the children to suffer. They would like to take care of the children and grandchildren themselves. Some feel they will lose their importance if they sit idle and dont do any work. Each one's feelings are different.

2. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Nice thoughts about Oldage, Viji.
    Varied experiences would have taught old people so much about life that they start feeling they have to share their wisdom for the benefit of the younger ones. But human mind is such that it does not learn unless influenced by experience. Thats one reason younger people never seem to "listen" to the old. Another factor is, vast changes in the world ; the world of Then is always completely different from the world of Now. So , except for the unchanging Basic Human Values, nothing else can be shared.

I feel, Seniors who "let go" of their need to control their children ( even after those children themselves have children !) are more peaceful and relaxed than those who carry on "parenting" till they are 100.

:thumbsup

3. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear Viji

Very important thread Viji and what you have written here is absolutely right.

We dont know the value of the old age people when they are there. There are always three generations and the youngest ones will never understand the old generation and viseversa. thats what I feel. The love and affection will be more between them but in their teens the younger ones often get irritated by the older generations. Nowadays we can see more people want to be independent until their maximum. Also nowadays Old people are having more diversions, more facilities like senior citizen township with all facilities etc than the previous ones. It is a chain process. We feel for our grand parents and parents now ! Children should be taught of the family values. If you are not looking at your parents now, and if the child is seeing that, definitely he will not be ready to take care of you when you are old. Everybody should realise this and should respect old people.

ganges

4. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Dear Vijima,

You have written absolute truth. But by the time the young gen understands life, they are far away from their parents.

Today, there are hardly children who stay with parents. Once they become independent, its rare that they are close to family.

One always has to make choices at diff points of life - family OR money/career.

5. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji mam

you have said it right. Only when young one faces some hurdle and are in difficulties, they realise the wisdom of experience and then go and seek that from the elders.

I think maybe the age and hormones some time cause that attitude i know it all :bowdown. But anyway lessons learnt hardway is better. Like they say, once they fell, get hurt, and then stand again, they will start realising the advise and value of elders.

6. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

very true viji aunty...... but what i feel is that old age is for people not to work but to enjoy with grand children....

I feel bad some times for being born as a girl.... my parents are in bangalore.... we both are daughters now married... even though my sister is in bangalore... my parents are alone now.... if i were a son, i would have been with them.... shared my day with them....

just felt like sharing my feelings....

Sandhya

7. iyerviji

Dear Lakshmi

I agree with you. There is lot of changes in the world, earlier and now. At present youngsters get to know everything through different sources and so sometimes they dont like always to be advised by elders.

I agree with your second para. Elders should give liberty to the youngsters to live the life according to their choice. Then they are happy . Elders also can be relaxed

love
    viji

8. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Dear Viji,
    Nice thread about old age . We learn better through experience than told by elders.Elders too must have made mistakes in their lives and corrected them later.Why not allow the child to do the same in stead of trying to spoonfeed?I agree it will be tough to stay mute because for a parent ,a child seems innocent and gullible before the big bad world out there.But if that brings harmony in family ,its better to let go .
    Regards,

9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    You have beautifully described about the old age in your post.
    Many people have a tremendous dread of growing old. A great deal of activity during the working years is aimed at preventing as many of the problems of old age as possible: dependency on others, lack of money, boredom, ill health, and so forth. The very fear of the problems of old age often make mental and physical wrecks of people -- they become old before their time.

God's Plan is that old age be the crowning glory of a person's lifetime. The Word of God shows that old age can have promise, productivity, vitality, confidence, and a great deal of happiness, providing that spiritual preparation has taken place during the younger years.
    old age can be a golden age, not necessarily in reliving the "good old days", but in actively enjoying the present and the future.
    with love
    pad
    <hr align="LEFT">

10. iyerviji

Dear Ganga

I also agree with what you have written. Elder people always expect respect from the youngsters and feel happy in small things. They want the love and affection from youngsters. There are some elders who dont adjust with the youngsters and want to live life of their own .

love
    viji