Moving to Singapore? Housing/Utility/Transport/Cost of Living etc!

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by Vinodha, May 24, 2007.

1. rkn2010

rkn2010 New IL'ite

Suggestion on the Apartment location

Hi,
    We are planning to relocate to Singapore within few months and we are in the process of searching the accommodation, school etc. My office is in Yishun Ave, and can anyone suggest which area I should search apartment so that it will be convenient also will be within 2000 SGD.
    We are planning to seek admission in DPS. so I need to consider residence near to school.
    Any suggestion towards this will be highly appreciated,

2. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Re: Suggestion on the Apartment location

Yishun has lot of residential flats.Here the system is HDB is the basic kind of flats but they could be nicely renovated from Inside.Then the private appartments & condo. They have some extra facilities like Gym,swimming pool etc.
    I suggest you to personally go with someone who knows Singapore better for house hunting.We can just guide you.But you have to be careful.As there are good housing agents & some cheats also.The system is when you rent for 1 year you have to pay 1 month rental as agent fee & 1 month rental as advance fees.but you need to see to it that the agent is authentic.
    Preferably do not rent such appartments which has 1 room locked by the owner or so.
    Here are some websites to have an idea.You can even post your advt for free & the agent may contact you.
    www.gumtree.com.sg
    www.st701.com
    www.rentalinsingapore.com
    I am not sure as I dont have kids but there is some requirements in local schools that the house should be in the close vicinity of the children's school.So consider that factor also if ur children are not going to International school.
    Here there are 2 indian schools which i know.
    GIIS - Global indian international school
    DPS- delhi public school.
    You can join Indians in Singapore forum in orkut & post.There the community is very big & you will get many replies.

3. madhumathi1974

madhumathi1974 Bronze IL'ite

Re: Property in Singapore

Hi strawberry,

After a long time iam coming up again into this site. i had seen your post hope you can help me out in certain things, please help me in giving the cost ofl living in singapore, as we r planning to move therewith some offer to my dh. and what are the prices for 2bd flat. please tell me dear as iam having to school going kids too. iam really tensed of this.

thanks in advance for the help. please reply my post as early as possible.

byee m tc,
    madhu

4. preetho

preetho New IL'ite

Relocating from California (USA) to Singapore

Hi All,

One of my friend is planning to relocate from California (USA) to Singapore.

She has got a job offer in Singapore.

Could one of you let us know if it would be a wise option to move to Singapore?

What is the cost of living there?

Any comparison between California and Singapore is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Preethi

5. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Re: Relocating from California (USA) to Singapore

hi dear

I was staying in singapore for 2 years. It is one of the developed country, although very small. 8% of populations are European there (Which shows even westerners prefer to work there)

1. Best transporation facility.
    2. Good libraries, like here.
    3. Good Public swimming pools
    4. Good Shopping malls.

There are two types of housing available there HDB( Govt housing buildings) and condomaniums.

Rents are higher in condomaniums. In HDB it is less, but u get less privacy there.

You get all indian stuffs there. Lot of indian communities. Lot of temples. 7-8 Indian International schools.

I cannot say much about schools, since my DD was very young that time she ws going N2 there.

Cost of living is not very high, except for rents.

6. anish2009

anish2009 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    My husband has got a job in Singapore and his office is located in Changi Business Park. We will be shifting to SG from Chennai in May with our 1 yr old son. Please let us know which is a good residential area near Changi for taking a 2Bedroom house on rent. Also please mention the appx. rental in that location.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

7. madhumathi1974

madhumathi1974 Bronze IL'ite

Hi anish,

Iam too planning to come over to singapore as my dh had job at same place as your hubby got, but my kids school is a bit far as i had searched on net. even i had posted for details but non had answered till now. hope someone helps us.Iam basically from hyderabad.

MY humble request for you is that you r reaching there before me , as we have some time, we r planning in august so pls do let me know some details which you get till i reach. please dear help me out.

thankyou very much in advance.
    madhumathi.

8. ashwini999

ashwini999 Senior IL'ite

move from US to Singapore

i have a masters in engineering from US university with 7 yrs of IT experience in US companies.
    what is the salary package that i should demand if i decide to move to singapore

please also let me know, how is the work environment in singapore offices compared to US..
    do we have option to work remote, work from home, etc etc

9. psyche

psyche New IL'ite

Hi lites

We ( husband , baby and me) are moving to Singapore ...in a week. My Husband will be working in Cecil street.

We have a budget of 1500 - 1700 for accommodation.A friend suggested Jurong area as the best place to look for accommodation.

Are there any possible areas that are closer to Cecil street.

We are looking for fully furnished 2 bedroom place. If possible with kitchen appliances also. Is this possible in the 1500 - 1700 SGD range ?

looking forward to hearing for you all

10. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Cecil street is in the Centre of the City near to Raffles Mrt( East West line).

You can choose areas near Green line Mrt(Refer to Map for mrt lines) and Serangoon ( Where our indian stuffs are available ) is also near from Cecil Street.

THere are two types of housing available here, Private Condo, and the other Govt. built Hdb flats.

If your choice is Hdb flats, definitely for 1500 Range, you can get a big apartment.

Singapore is fully developed country, so you will not face any issues wherever you stay.