1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your favourite quote and the book it appeared- share here

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by svrlax, Mar 24, 2010.

1. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Me logging in after a long time in IL thought o starting a thread on a interesting topic of mine.

I was often inspired in life by some good books which I got a chance to read if some one asks me to share a quote from one of the books I read, then this one comes to my mind from the book 'The Alchemist' written by Paulo Coelho "When you really want something to happen, the whole world conspires to help you achieve it.”
    I believe you would have many like this to share.
    Hoping to hear from you all. :)

2. shrikala

shrikala Senior IL'ite

Hi svrlax,

The below is one of my all time favorite quote. I could not recall anyothers as quickly as this one:

Its our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities

This quote is made by Dumbleldore. From the book Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

I used to remember this quote whenever I realize I dont have the skill to do something.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Thanks svrlax, for starting such a nice thread. They lines above were said in the alchemist? Really? Doesn't this sound like the one dialog that SRK says in the move 'Om Shanti Om', hmmm now I know were that originated from! :biglaugh

And thanks shrikala. Thats a very wonderful thought!! Thank god for you to share it with us... I think this sentence can inspire me more than a lot of stuff I try to build self-confidence. And besides, these words coming from Dumbledore, I truely believe it! I simply love and rather respect him, I hope that doesn't sound sheepish :hide:

4. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Here one line that I liked and got me thinking.

[FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]
    Give
    [/FONT]​
    [/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]a [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]day's [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]work [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]for [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]a [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]day's [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]pay. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]Anything [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]less [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]is [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]stealing[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Candara-Italic*1][FONT=Candara-Italic*1]I read this in "The notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. I try remembering this always when my mind drifts to do time-pass at work :bonk

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

5. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Great thoughts shared by both of you, its simply wonderful of you for sharing them

I recall these beautiful quotes from Bladerunner (I haven’t read the book though) -
    All these moments will be lost in time like tears in rain

6. vennelaaaa

vennelaaaa Bronze IL'ite

Nice thread...
    I like this line from Fight Club :

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."

7. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

:eek:mg: its so true!

8. Anamtvm

Anamtvm Silver IL'ite

Wow! I think you just read my mind, I have been thinking of starting a thread for our fav. quotes! and you just did!! Thanks for starting such a wonderful thread..

Even I am a Fan of that line from The Alchemist! Of the books I have read recently, this is my favourite quote"Strangers are just family you have yet to come to know" from "the five people you meet in heaven" - Mitch Albom

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  9. shrikala

shrikala Senior IL'ite

Thanks Gayathri. Even I respect Dumbledore a lot and did not imagine that he could actually die.
    few others from the headmaster
    Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -HP and Goblet of Fire
    People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right. - HP and Half-Blood Prince

10. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

vennelaaaa it a wondeful line which we often forget in our lives:thumbsup

Anamtvm Yes we often dont try to understand and allow people to be strangers:hide: for rest of our life and lose a lot because of that in lives.

Yes Gayathri47 when it comes to work besides smartness it needs dedication and quality time spent on it :idea

shrikala the thoughts you shared are simply great and openning my mind :hiya

So as a line to include to this trail I have one from Gandhiji's Biography

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010